Thoughts on SPR

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hey guys,

I would like to hear opinions on Saving Private Ryan especially from non American viewers. Mainly looking for any problems you have with the movie. Please also give your overall rating even if you have problems with it. Please be as brutally honest as possible and I will let you know why you are wrong. :p Thanks in advance.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Does this belong in the ASL forum?"

Does a lot of the stuff we talk about belong in the ASL forum? :devious:

Afterall, didn't someone do another post/thread on WWII movies?

Or for that matter, if we are going to be picky, does a thread a SL belong in an ASL forum?

Or how about the thread on a trip to Holland?

Lets not get too picky. SPR is about WWII :) .

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Pitman said:
Does this belong in the ASL forum?
Maybe not but you guys do discuss other things besides ASL sometimes. Just curious what you guys think of this movie. I have seen many Europeans bashing the movie for various reasons. I wanted to get opinions from some intelligent people (assuming you must be particularly intelligent to play ASL) who are knowledgable in World War II instead of some movie watchers that think they are experts.

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Psycho1943 said:
Maybe not but you guys do discuss other things besides ASL sometimes. Just curious what you guys think of this movie. I have seen many Europeans bashing the movie for various reasons. I wanted to get opinions from some intelligent people (assuming you must be particularly intelligent to play ASL) who are knowledgable in World War II instead of some movie watchers that think they are experts.
I'm european and non-ASLer so I guess that makes me doubly incompetent to discuss SPR :cheeky:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Boonierat said:
I'm european and non-ASLer so I guess that makes me doubly incompetent to discuss SPR :cheeky:
No, I would like your opinion especially since you are from Europe.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
USWI001 said:
probably not - this should be posted in the forums at www.imdb.com :cheeky:
That is exactly the reason I am asking it here. The posts on imdb usually turn into US bashing vs UK bashing because of the "experts" that read the internet or watch a movie and suddenly are WW2 historians.

Like I said earlier, I am asking people that look to be more intelligent and have knowledge on the subject just from playing ASL and other games (and probably read tons of books on WW2). I have yet to see bashing of anyone based on their nationality.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
rdw5150 said:
"Does this belong in the ASL forum?"

Or for that matter, if we are going to be picky, does a thread a SL belong in an ASL forum?

Or how about the thread on a trip to Holland?

Lets not get too picky. SPR is about WWII :) .

Peace

Roger
Now I got it. Two threads by me, an ASL newbie, about non ASL topics. Wanting to know where to go to Holland so I could apply WWII knowledge to my game and if it was worth it to get that old original SL gear from a co-worker... :dead:

I certainly don't think anything WWII is out of place but then again, I'm the culprit of two of those posts. You could sue me I guess, but Canada would have to deport me first. :D

Last edited:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
JGilbert said:
Now I got it. Two threads by me, an ASL newbie, about non ASL topics. Wanting to know where to go to Holland so I could apply WWII knowledge to my game and if it was worth it to get that old original SL gear from a co-worker... Sorry... :dead:

I certainly don't think anything WWII is out of place Mark but then again, I'm the culprit of two of those posts. You could sue me I guess, but Canada would have to deport me first. :D
I would not worry about it. Most of the people on here seem nice and helpful but sometimes the old vets get a bit grumpy. There is discussion of other things outside of ASL. I love the game too but my world does not revolve around it (I think it revolves around me :halo: )

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Psycho1943 said:
No, I would like your opinion especially since you are from Europe.
No you won't, cos I would bash it even more ;) but not for some anti-american reasons :smoke:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Josh,

I did not realize they were both by you :eek:

What dumb (un)luck on my part. I could have picked on the DnD humor thread from a while ago :)

Sorry, I meant no offence.

My point was lets not be too awful picky (people post off topics stuff all the time) and let people post (especialy new people to the forums).

Peace

Roger

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
rdw5150 said:
Josh,

I did not realize they were both by you :eek:

What dumb (un)luck on my part. I could have picked on the DnD humor thread from a while ago :)

Sorry, I meant no offence.

My point was lets not be too awful picky (people post off topics stuff all the time) and let people post (especialy new people to the forums).

Peace

Roger
I know, I didn't take offence, what were the chances of you finding both my posts? besides, the way I see it is that at least I don't attack anybody personally or make rude comments.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Boonierat said:
No you won't, cos I would bash it even more ;) but not for some anti-american reasons :smoke:
No problem. I just want to hear more intelligent reasons why there are problems with the movie than from some moron on imdb. Most of the complaints seem to be:

No Brits shown in the movie or no mention of other countries
Spielberg tries to show the Germans are evil
Not showing the German pov
American flag waving
Outnumbered Americans beat elite Germans
Germans tactics incorrect for an elite unit
Hollywood moments that would not take place in real combat
many others but these are most common

andy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like SPR esp. the opening scene. The Germans die in clumps a bit too easily and the mortar thing was a bit unrealistic. I like the fact that it shows US soliders shooting surrendering/surrendered troops. I also like the portrayl of "Upham" to show people was it means to break and go DM. Not everyone is John Wayne. Men break.

I also understand the anti-Montgomery attitude which was historically accurate. However, and this is my major beef, why did they have to name the idealistic bookish broken soldier who commits an unauthorized killing "Upham"? It looks like a back handed insult to the British. For those of you who don't know, Charles Hazelitt Upham was a New Zealander and the only winner of 2 Victoria Crosses in all of WWII. In other words, he's the Audie Murphy or the Jakob Pavlov of the British Empire. Of course Audie would have had to win the Congressional Medal of Honor twice (you get the idea). I wonder why Spielberg or whoever wrote the screenplay, slipped that in there. Are they anti-British? I wouldn't name the broken flawed character in my WWII epic "Murphy" unless I wanted to piss off some Americans. Let's face it, Upham is NOT a common name.

Last edited:

Steiner!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
<<Outnumbered Americans beat elite Germans>>

Only because the Air Support arrived in the nick of time!

10 minutes more and they would have all died.

Gen. blunder

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The movies is superb as far as cinematographic technicity is concerned (the photography is superb) and the fighting scenes are breath taking but i believe that some scenes are not really realistic.
But is the goal of any war movie to show ""how it actually happened" ??
Some kind of documentary or is it essentially about telling a story of men and women in some very special situation ,how they feel , how they think, how they act in wartime .

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I go to a movie to be entertained. I'm not the type who walks out of a move and says, "That wasn't realistic, because they used T-34C's and they didn't have a C-model in 1942. So, the movie sucked."

I remember walking out of the Return of the King with a buddy and him saying, "They didn't follow the book here and here." I was floored. I had just watched 3 hours of brilliant film making and all he could comment on was how they didn't follow the book?" I loved every second of it.

I liked Private Ryan. I liked Enemy at the Gates. Heck, I even sorta liked Pearl Harbor. I would sit thru that for another 3 hours just to watch Kate Beckinsale. BTW - For a good Kate movie and one that is a lot of fun to watch get Van Helsing.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The so called fighter bombers were mustangs, dont think they had bomb racks.

Tiger was a T-34. No way a Tiger was as nimble as the two depicted in the movie.

I would think most elite unit late war Kampfgruppe had mobile artillery assigned or at least had battery access to divisional artillery. After all, this was supposed to be one of two bridges available to cross that river. Any effort to secure it would have been a)better planned and b) better supported.

Tactical battle at the end has major issues. No units in an urban fight would just walk past buildings before they were secured. Its also highly unlikely that any combat hardened German soldier would just walk past a cowering enemy soldier without showing him the pointy end of his bayonet.

Rushing headlong into a known MG position....and not using the trained sniper in the group to pick them off! Also sending the medic in with the rush was not a great idea.

Its highly unlikely that a bunker that large and that close to the beach would have survived the bombardement of NOBA and air attacks. If it did, it would dominate the surrounding area to such a degree that no attacking units would survive near it. Grenades could be tossed through the openings onto the beach below, exploding overhead and showering shrapnel on the troops below. To think that it is just a matter of opening the door and tossing in a nade or two is laughable. I doubt the back door to a bunker would be that easily opened, nor would it open straight into the bunker.

The mortar round idea just seems lame.

In fact, the whole idea of sending a captain and a sargeant off on a SAR mission with only 6 other ppl, one of whom was a medic and another a translator, is kinda lame.....but thats hollywood for ya.

Thats about all I can think of and I havent seen the movie in a couple of years.