Thoughts on scenarios with units entering with reduced MP/MF

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems this has come up in my scenario picks more, but perhaps this is more common in design now? I think I actually like it as the 'burst' of units coming from off map and getting deep into the defenses is limited a bit.

Probably speeds up play a tiny bit too, which is nice.

It won't get me to play a scenario, but would be a minor factor in helping.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The one I remember most is Breakout From Borisov. Probably the first time that SSR was used.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It spares you one board, thus some space on the table.
Fine for me.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One has to be careful how one phrases the SSR, as odd effects may result. For example if the SSR is phrased, "all units are considered to have spent half their MF/MP allotment when they enter," then you get odd behavior with units that have different MF allotments and with rules that increase MF/MP allotments. A MMC enters by itself for one MF, and it is fired on by DFF. It goes Berserk. It spent two MF (half) off board by SSR plus the one to enter, so it now has five MF with which to charge. A SMC enters for one MF and goes Berserk. It spent three MF off board by SSR and one to enter, so it only has four MF with which to charge. A MMC moving with a SMC might be considered to have spent either two or three MF off board (see below). If they are considered to have spent different amounts and the leader goes berserk and takes the MMC with him, they may have amounts of MF to use.

If a MMC declares early double-time, is it considered to have spent two MF off board or three? If a leader declares early double-time, is it considered to have spent three MF off board or four? If a unit declares late double-time, does it gain one MF or only one-half?

Leader bonus is not described as part increasing the MF allotment of the MMC. It is a grant of two MF. A MMC moving with a leader might then be considered to have lost half its MF allotment (two MF) but have gained two MF due to the leader. If the leader (but not the MMC) declares double-time, the leader can move at least four MF (depending on the resolution of the double-time issues), which will enable it to bring the MMC forward four MF without the MMC declaring double-time.

As phrased above there is also a problem when units do not enter the board immediately. If a MMC moves one hex off board then enters, is it considered to have spent two MF off board or three? That is the result of sloppy wording on my part, but it shows how such SSRs are harder to write than they first appear.

There are probably other quirks. Phrasing the SSR differently can result in different, odd effects.

If units are considered to have spent a fixed number of MF/MP at the start of their MPh. I think that may be hard to find a crack in, but it does mean that, for instance, leaders can still move two hexes farther than MMC alone.

JR

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One has to be careful how one phrases the SSR, as odd effects may result. For example if the SSR is phrased, "all units are considered to have spent half their MF/MP allotment when they enter," then you get odd behavior with units that have different MF allotments and with rules that increase MF/MP allotments. A MMC enters by itself for one MF, and it is fired on by DFF. It goes Berserk. It spent two MF (half) off board by SSR plus the one to enter, so it now has five MF with which to charge. A SMC enters for one MF and goes Berserk. It spent three MF off board by SSR and one to enter, so it only has four MF with which to charge. A MMC moving with a SMC might be considered to have spent either two or three MF off board (see below). If they are considered to have spent different amounts and the leader goes berserk and takes the MMC with him, they may have amounts of MF to use.

If a MMC declares early double-time, is it considered to have spent two MF off board or three? If a leader declares early double-time, is it considered to have spent three MF off board or four? If a unit declares late double-time, does it gain one MF or only one-half?

Leader bonus is not described as part increasing the MF allotment of the MMC. It is a grant of two MF. A MMC moving with a leader might then be considered to have lost half its MF allotment (two MF) but have gained two MF due to the leader. If the leader (but not the MMC) declares double-time, the leader can move at least four MF (depending on the resolution of the double-time issues), which will enable it to bring the MMC forward four MF without the MMC declaring double-time.

As phrased above there is also a problem when units do not enter the board immediately. If a MMC moves one hex off board then enters, is it considered to have spent two MF off board or three? That is the result of sloppy wording on my part, but it shows how such SSRs are harder to write than they first appear.

There are probably other quirks. Phrasing the SSR differently can result in different, odd effects.

If units are considered to have spent a fixed number of MF/MP at the start of their MPh. I think that may be hard to find a crack in, but it does mean that, for instance, leaders can still move two hexes farther than MMC alone.

JR
There is an art form called SSR writing. And then there is the art of proofing.

I am fairly strong as an SSR artist, but for the proofing we rely on the best in the business