Those 'split roads' at A5/A6 and GG5/GG6?

Petros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys,
I'd like to know how you handle playing on - (clearly stated) - those split roads at either end of the board edges at A5/A6 and GG5/GG6 - especially if they are connected to another board. Bypass is not being used, so the moving unit player would have to declare which of two hexes he is in I think. There's a rule somewhere that mentions this in passing but if I remeber it's not clear.
Here's why I ask. I'd like to do some boards where a road splits the Q5/Q6 hexes. Having that sort of board would allow you to create many more options of board configurations. :cheeky: But I hesitate to do this because of creating a playability problem. Any comments?
Don :bandit:

Carl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Don!

Interesting question. What with the Village Terrain rule (B31) now in the main rules, the hexes you identify are now Narrow Streets. I play that each hex is an individual road hex. Barring B31, I'd play any other like hex as a road hex in each hex.

Also interesting is that a Narrow Street, by definition, does not require bypassable terrain to be considered a Narrow Street but requires bypassable terrain to implement the subsequent operational part of the rule.

Carl

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello Gents
I asked Pery of this and he made a ruling that is out there somewhere, possibly on Sam Belchers Perry Sez site.
The answer was that the road is considered to be in hex with a grid coordinate of 5 and in cases where two boards meet and it would be a issue it is the lowest numbered board that takes precedence.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Petros said:
I'd like to know how you handle playing on - (clearly stated) - those split roads at either end of the board edges at A5/A6 and GG5/GG6 - especially if they are connected to another board. Bypass is not being used, so the moving unit player would have to declare which of two hexes he is in I think. There's a rule somewhere that mentions this in passing but if I remeber it's not clear.
A2.51, about 3/4 down the paragraph: "If the board is butted widthwise, all offboard hexes with a coordinate of 5 are considered road hexes."

It is not definitive with regards to onboard hexes, but based on that I would play onboard hexes with a coordinate of 5 as the road hexes.

Petros said:
Here's why I ask. I'd like to do some boards where a road splits the Q5/Q6 hexes. Having that sort of board would allow you to create many more options of board configurations. :cheeky: But I hesitate to do this because of creating a playability problem. Any comments?
Don :bandit:
I wouldn't do it unless it was incorporated into the Village rules. It may make the terrain design more visually appealing, but I believe the hassle of having to understand how to use them would outweight any aesthetic benefits.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

da priest

Reaction score
Strange I always played that both hexes were road hexes...:confused:

No other interpretation came up, ever!:nervous:

But hadn't considered the Narrow Road thing...:crosseye:

Petros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many thanks guys,
So sorry for the delayed response. Hello Carl - long time! OK, so as I read this in my rough way, the rules would not support my design in a way that would not create some confusion which should be avoided if possible. Some guys would interpret that an imaginary road might be in X5 & X6, some guys treating it like a narrow road, etc.. Too bad. Guessing that this might not work, I've figured out a new configuration for my two boards where the road doesn't split the hexrow but instead cuts diagonally across X5 and X6 on both boards and still creates a 'multi-geomorphic' capability for both, provided they are used together. Creating 2 such multi-geomorphic boards, the net result is that you can create a total six 8.5"x22" different geoboards (6 for the price of 2). It makes a lot of sense.
Don