Those dreaded two sided scenarios.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The biggest problem that I see with two cards for a scenario is if you can't find one of them. 🤔🤔

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Your assumption is wrong, the text size have always been the same on the scenario cards.
We agree to disagree. I find the cards slight easier to read in the new format. -- jim

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
We agree to disagree. I find the cards slight easier to read in the new format. -- jim
That is not the case, you make a false claim, that I point out.
MMP have now released two card scenarios with the SSR & Aftermath stretched out across the A4 scenario card, instead of using the two column layout.

Would you not have an issue if the rulebook was printed without the 2 columns . See link.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
That is not the case, you make a false claim, that I point out.
MMP have now released two card scenarios with the SSR & Aftermath stretched out across the A4 scenario card, instead of using the two column layout.
All of which makes them easier for me to read. Are you seriously trying to tell me which I find easier to read? You can no more tell me what I prefer than I can tell you what you prefer.

In actual fact, I also scan all of my scenarios and print them out for purposes of play. As such, I can mark up the cards any way I wish, often putting notes such as APCR depletion numbers or TK numbers on the card under the counter picture. For CVP games, I will place the CVP value under the counter so I can measure the risk/reward while playing. I will count PF shots by making tick marks. I personally have fled the tyranny of cards which much be preserved. I ACTUALLY bin the originals once I have verified the scans are good.

Would you not have an issue if the rulebook was printed without the 2 columns .
I have no idea what the rule book looks like on paper any more. I have not used a paper rulebook since I completed my own electronic version over a decade ago. I have not purchased MMP's electronic version as mine is better (and is A - Z complete, with in-line Q&A). The change in format I have made to mine have ZERO effect on me and I honestly could care less the format so long as the information is consistent. Life is too short to sweat the little stuff IMO. YMMV. -- jim

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
All of which makes them easier for me to read. Are you seriously trying to tell me which I find easier to read? You can no more tell me what I prefer than I can tell you what you prefer.

In actual fact, I also scan all of my scenarios and print them out for purposes of play. As such, I can mark up the cards any way I wish, often putting notes such as APCR depletion numbers or TK numbers on the card under the counter picture. For CVP games, I will place the CVP value under the counter so I can measure the risk/reward while playing. I will count PF shots by making tick marks. I personally have fled the tyranny of cards which much be preserved. I ACTUALLY bin the originals once I have verified the scans are good.

I have no idea what the rule book looks like on paper any more. I have not used a paper rulebook since I completed my own electronic version over a decade ago. I have not purchased MMP's electronic version as mine is better (and is A - Z complete, with in-line Q&A). The change in format I have made to mine have ZERO effect on me and I honestly could care less the format so long as the information is consistent. Life is too short to sweat the little stuff IMO. YMMV. -- jim
The text size have never changed from Avalon Hill to MMP.

Then why get involved in a thread that have an issue with two cards scenarios instead of One Card scenarios.

You have made a digital transfer of rules and scenarios, and are in such a extreme little minority that it would have been better to stay out of a thread that do not concern you, but still you think your minority report/observation is of relevance, it is not.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
The text size have never changed from Avalon Hill to MMP.
I didn't say they have. I said the new format is easier for me to read. The card isn't as crowded.

Then why get involved in a thread that have an issue with two cards scenarios instead of One Card scenarios.
To do as you have, express an opinion.

You have made a digital transfer of rules and scenarios, and are in such a extreme little minority that it would have been better to stay out of a thread that do not concern you.
That minority is probably why MMP has sold so many eASLRB's.

Maybe it would have been better, maybe not. If it takes away time spent doing things I would like to see, then it does concern me, even if only a little. Such is the nature of opportunity costs. -- jim

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I didn't say they have. I said the new format is easier for me to read. The card isn't as crowded.
Have never heard of such a complaint until now from you.

That minority is probably why MMP has sold so many eASLRB's.
You make no sense.

Maybe it would have been better, maybe not. If it takes away time spent doing things I would like to see, then it does concern me, even if only a little. Such is the nature of opportunity costs. -- jim
The lazy approach, benefit you, I see.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Have never heard of such a complaint until now from you.
Why would I post a complaint about something I have no complaint about? You said "these new cards suck". I said "I find them easier to read". That's how discussion flows.

You make no sense.
You said I was in a small minority going digital. I pointed out MMP sold a lot of digital rules books suggesting a lot of people have interest in digital medium.

The lazy approach, benefit you, I see.
Occasionally. -- jim

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
PDF has been a blessing for me, we don't publish 2 page scenarios very often and only do so if needed.

You can print them out or not with PDF, such a wonderful space-saving format. Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The irony in the whole AH did it better than how MMP does it is that from the beginning AH had scenarios that used more than one card. You were required to use not just two but three scenario cards to play The Streets of Stalingrad, the third SL scenario! How foolish of me to have continued playing a game that imposed such a burden on those attempting to learn it.☹☹

Btw SL Scenario 4 is The Hubes Pocket. A lovely little ten turn gem with eight German squads facing thirty two Russian squads.

LMAO there were giants on the board in those days! 🥰🥰🥰

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tempest in a teapot doesn't adequately describe how trivial a matter that this is. Typhoon in a thimble is more like it.

I like a disputaious thread as much as the next jick but this is really a silly subject. Of the thousands of scenarios how many are printed on two cards? I would suggest putting this topic on the back burner until someone answers that question. Then we will know how big of a problem this is.

Btw this OMOOT has never used a QR thingy. Just sayin'. 🙄
Darryl - (probably spelled that wrong) - don;t feel bad. It took me several years to figure out what a qwerty keyboard was. I had heard of IBM, Compaq, HP, etc. Years ago I stopped at the local tech gadget store and asked the guy behind the counter if he had any Qwerty keyboards in stock. When he asked what brand I wanted, I replied "Qwerty". When he said "They are all qwerty keyboards, what brand do you want" I finally began to see it when I glanced down at a display keyboard and he pointed out the top line of letter keys to me. Man did I feel stupid (more so than usual). Tech and me do not get along.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Darryl - (probably spelled that wrong) - don;t feel bad. It took me several years to figure out what a qwerty keyboard was. I had heard of IBM, Compaq, HP, etc. Years ago I stopped at the local tech gadget store and asked the guy behind the counter if he had any Qwerty keyboards in stock. When he asked what brand I wanted, I replied "Qwerty". When he said "They are all qwerty keyboards, what brand do you want" I finally began to see it when I glanced down at a display keyboard and he pointed out the top line of letter keys to me. Man did I feel stupid (more so than usual). Tech and me do not get along.
Actually spelled exactly right! Well done!

I can learn technology and have to use it to a small degree at work but I just don't see needing everything to be digital or controlled from your phone. Do you really need to be able to see what is in your refrigerator while at the grocery store?

I find the digital camera on the phone to be very useful but not so keen about receiving personal calls at work. Does Actiondebbie really need to inform me that there is a hairball on the carpet? Why does she always call when I am under a sink? 🤔🤣🤣

Joker coworker asked me if I wanted to see a picture of the oldest thing that he had ever seen under a sink. It was a picture of me working on one!🤣🤣🤣 What a jick he was.

It's just life in the 21st Century I guess.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But if it replaces the historical setting and aftermath, it is ugly.
Indeed.

I am playing this game because I do NOT have to use a smartphone to do so. So I am happy if MMP (and anyone else for that matter) dumps this idea for any reason.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Of course you could consider MMP spreading a previously one card scenario over two cards as a marketing maneuver.

The consumer is paying more but getting the same scenario. However spread over two cards gives the impression that you are getting more for your money. And you actually are! Brilliant!

With nothing invested in research and development MMP gives the ASL player what they seem to greatly desire, more scenarios. Well at least scenario cards.

All in all an admirable strategy from a business perspective. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
W
Of course you could consider MMP spreading a previously one card scenario over two cards as a marketing maneuver.

The consumer is paying more but getting the same scenario. However spread over two cards gives the impression that you are getting more for your money. And you actually are! Brilliant!

With nothing invested in research and development MMP gives the ASL player what they seem to greatly desire, more scenarios. Well at least scenario cards.

All in all an admirable strategy from a business perspective. 🤗
While this was written in a satirical vein the more I read it the more sense it makes.😉

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As much as being too dependent on technology can be a bad thing, I have my smartphone with me when I play, because I can easily read and search my eASLRB when I need to.
That said, if there were a QR code on a card for a "secret OB", one could imagine that the information should be present on another page: that way, even without the help of a smartphone, it would be retrievable.
Just to be clear, I was not pleading for the use of a QR code: I was just thinking of what it could be useful for - including a non connected use.