This Terrible Sound AAR

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Here is my solo game of the 3 day battle. It is Sept 18th at 5:30PM. CSA Res Corps has just rolled loose cannon. But the CSA has successfully crossed at Lee's and Gordon's Mill. Hood is on his way to join the rest of 1st Corps. Negley is on his way to counter the CSA Cav attack on the 21st left flank.

Hope the pics come out OK.

notchback

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice!

Thanks for posting this... I know for me who has has not tried the RSS games yet, it's interesting to see and should be interesting to follow along with.

Maybe a newbie question, but are the X's "fired" markers? If not, what are they for? If so, where did you get them?

Keith Todd

Reaction score
The X markers are what used to be called K-Markers sold by Homergames. They are tile spacers that can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. In the posted pics, I use the white ones to designate wrecked. I paint others in different colors for fired, DG, SH, and Rout.

But most of the time just the white ones for wrecked. In the PM you asked about the table. To further clarify I use the smoothed birch plywood( which I lacquered) and then went to Salvation Army and picked up a cheap 3X6 dining table for $25. Then screwed the plywood to the table.

Works very well, also in my gaming room I have 3 4X6 gaming tables and my computer desk so everything is handy.

Keith

Mark Warren

Reaction score
Country
ll
Great looking photo's Keith. The anticipation grows on receiving my own copy (recently ordered from the MMP sale).

I'm currently discovering the very enjoyable world of CWBS with some solo play of No Better Place to Die.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Great looking photo's Keith. The anticipation grows on receiving my own copy (recently ordered from the MMP sale).

I'm currently discovering the very enjoyable world of CWBS with some solo play of No Better Place to Die.
Thanks Mark! For those that are new to RSS(CWR), I do suggest downloading the "Draft of proposed CWR 3.0 series rules". at
http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/rss.htm

The changes to CWR 2.0 are very few and instead of using two rulebooks for the CWR(RSS) you can print out just one. Makes for alot easier looking up the rules and learning.

Keith

Mark Warren

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for the pointer to the CWR3.0 rules. I guess South Mountain will come with the rules this way.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
This Terrible Sound AAR update

It is now Sept 18 5:45PM, CSA Res Corps has rolled loose cannon again! But Brown's brigade (CSA) has taken the ford on Alexander's road.

Negley has moved up into position to push back A/F Cav.

Keith

Keith Todd

Reaction score
The full deal continues

Sept 18th has been cloaked to darkness. Both sides continue to maneuver but combat is over.

Pretty soon fatique recovery will start, to make sure all units are fresh for the coming battles on the morning of the 19th.

DH Hill will more than likely assault the Glass Mill bridge with help from F Cav who have successfully crossed the ford to take on Negley who has just formed up to make sure DH Hill does not cross the bridge.

Cheatham will start the day with a full assault on the 21st Corps to drive Crittenden off the map. The bridge has already been taken.

To the north Minty and Wilder have positioned themselves to do a squeeze play on Johnson (of 1st Corps) with the help of a brigade from the 21st.

And last but not least, ......... Res Corps rolled Loose Cannon for the 3rd time in a row!!!!

More pictures to come this weekend,

Keith

notchback

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool AAR

Keith

Still got a seat at the game table just waiting for you... I'm going to set up a bigger game table tomorrow; Borrowing your design.

I will let you know when ADC comes in.

In the mean time...

Stay low :)

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Playing ADC will be fun, and when I make it up to your place, FTF even more fun.

But as far as PBEM, VASSAL would be more fun. So today I am looking at what it would take for me to do TSS and at least the four main maps.

I am making a list of new scanners, new PCs, and software to choose for my new graphic setup.

Keith

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing ADC will be fun, and when I make it up to your place, FTF even more fun.

But as far as PBEM, VASSAL would be more fun. So today I am looking at what it would take for me to do TSS and at least the four main maps.

I am making a list of new scanners, new PCs, and software to choose for my new graphic setup.

Keith
4 maps, 1000's of counters - yikes that will be some project, even if you use straight scans. If you use some standard in your naming of the unit counter images though, you could write a script (or I could write one for you) that would 'populate' your buildfile with all the units. That way you don't have to manually add 900 unit counters one by one into the VASSAL editor. I get a headache just thinking of doing it that way.... :upset:

Keith Todd

Reaction score
It is the morning of the 19th, CSA gains two good initiative rolls. The cannons roar from the USA lines hurting some regiments but there are too many stop.

Negley strikes back at the CSA cav and DH Hill desperately tries to get someone to cross the bridge.

Keith

P.S. Gary, I would gladly take any help you give me. I think I will start with the two maps and units that will allow playing the most scenarios.

It will be next year before I am done but I think it will be worth it.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
The End

Just in case, anyone was really following my solo AAR of the full battle. I wrapped it up today. Just too many counters to push around and lots of everything else to do by myself. It was well worth the time put into it but there are so many other games to play.

It ended with some huge battles on the morning of the nineteenth. Great fun but I think I will stick to scenarios for now and leave the monsters to conventions or if I find someone local to play ftf.

Keith

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I have room myself for monster sized epics, I have to trust (HA!) my kids and psychotic cat will leave my labour of love alone until I finish it. Of course, that means I just leave out scenarios, staring small and working up in size as time allows. I've thought about putting out the full battle of Shiloh up, having done a few of the scenarios (and enjoyed them immensely) but haven't done so, yet.

Out of curiousity, what was the rough time investment on your play of TTS?

Keith Todd

Reaction score

Out of curiousity, what was the rough time investment on your play of TTS?
Roughly 55 turns for close to 75 hours, it was very enjoyable and I learned the system.

When I left off though was where most of the dice rolling and record keeping was getting heavy.

Great system, I am playing notchback in an ADC2 PBEM game of Jay's Mill right now, just a great game and opponent.

Keith