This might not end well, or isn't this how we got Megalon?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are humans. We believe we have the god-like power to move and change the passage of time itself (hence Daylight Savings Time); the power to determine who shall live and who shall die (hence abortions); the power to determine who shall rule and who shall toil (hence the Bush Doctrine - Democracy from the barrel of a Gun; or Putin's version - do it my way or I go genocidal freakshow on your population); so now we add to our list of god-like powers the ability to create man-made volcanoes.

Will wonders never cease? (tongue firmly in cheek here.)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We are humans. We believe we have the god-like power to move and change the passage of time itself (hence Daylight Savings Time); the power to determine who shall live and who shall die (hence abortions); the power to determine who shall rule and who shall toil (hence the Bush Doctrine - Democracy from the barrel of a Gun; or Putin's version - do it my way or I go genocidal freakshow on your population); so now we add to our list of god-like powers the ability to create man-made volcanoes.

Will wonders never cease? (tongue firmly in cheek here.)
Only problem is this 'man made' Volcano will make Krakatoa look like a birthday cake sparkler when compared to a A-Bomb going off!. I am all for pushing the boundaries of science and understanding, but some things need to be left alone, I would class this as one of them

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only problem is this 'man made' Volcano will make Krakatoa look like a birthday cake sparkler when compared to a A-Bomb going off!. I am all for pushing the boundaries of science and understanding, but some things need to be left alone, I would class this as one of them
I seem to recall in my distant haze of childhood memories before the beer-soaked teenage memories someone thought of doing this once before, (late- 1970's)?

:)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I seem to recall in my distant haze of childhood memories before the beer-soaked teenage memories someone thought of doing this once before, (late- 1970's)?

:)
I do not think it will end well if the barn pots are allowed to do it.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lots of problems before such drilling will be done. Apart from anything else, as you get deeper it gets hotter and the drill bits start to melt. Not certain how deep the deepest hole is but I think it's still several km short of the mantle.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lots of problems before such drilling will be done. Apart from anything else, as you get deeper it gets hotter and the drill bits start to melt. Not certain how deep the deepest hole is but I think it's still several km short of the mantle.
I know that Vinnie, but it is just the fact that some brain bug is actually thinking about doing it that concerns me.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is some government paying for this? That might explain the need to drill holes in the earth.