Thinking of making the commitment

Bahger

Recruit
Reaction score
First post, gentlemen, thanks for your hospitality.

I'm thinking of diving into POA2. Once upon a time I played the living daylights out of Decisive Action, Combat Mission, Steel Beasts and TacOps. When I commit to a game like this I do it wholeheartedly and would therefore appreciate some advance intel concerning the following:

- How is the learning curve? The 375-page manual is impressive but a little daunting. Is there a relatively easy way in?

- Is the sim fully functional, patched up and in working order?

- Will it play properly on a good PC with native res of 1920x1200 (i.e. will it scale down properly?)

- I like hardcore, but is it fun for a sophisticated, but non-professional military tac-gamer?

Thanks very much. Your assistance may well save me a lot of uneccessary turmoil.

Last edited:

void

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
learning curve
If you played Steel Panthers it's not hard. if you don't know why you shouldn't scout ahead with tanks, or know nothing about combined arms operations then it's very hard.

sim fully functional
Well, it's functional. You can play. More patching is needed thou.
The pre-made scenarios are not so great in my opinion.

Will it play properly on a good PC with native res of 1920x1200
Sure. I don't know what you mean by "scale down".

I like hardcore, but is it fun for a sophisticated, but non-professional military tac-gamer
It's not much fun in the typical meaning, but if you find fun in simulating combat situations then it is.
When I want fun, especially with a friend, I play WinSpWW2/WinSPMBT.

I've bought it as a sign of support for developing that kind of games. I hope my money will turn out to be a good investment in the future.
There's no other on the horizon (well, maybe Command Ops).

Nothing? Really?
Man - that was Christmas time.

TactiKill

Recruit
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try PoA for awhile now, but the price tag and some of the reviews and lack of custom scenarios has held me back. So I have a few questions as well if I can expand upon this thread... I know TU has some issues in terms of being able to churn out realistic outcomes, certain weapon platforms not being modeled correctly, defeating other units in which it should not.. Is that problem also present in PoA2 as well? Also, overall would you guys say it's as good a sim as Decisive Action?

Bahger

Recruit
Reaction score
Also, overall would you guys say it's as good a sim as Decisive Action?
Good question! Different scale, I think, DA being an operational level wargame. What DA did, it did very well indeed. I'd be interested to know -- subjective as it is -- whether PoA2 is in the same class.