Things are getting ugly for Madden football

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It's a shame that a game as popular as the Madden NFL Football series is being drug down into the depths of endless litigation, but that's the the lay of the land these days.

The NFL Players Association was recently sued by retired players because their likenesses were used in the game. A court agreed and ordered the Players Association to pay millions in damages.

So far John Madden and EA Games have not been a part of any litigation, but that may change as things are starting to get ugly.

Dave Pear said:
The retired NFL players who were used in Madden EA video games will be suing Madden and EA for using us in those games without compensating us. Madden’s agent Sandy Montag boasts he and Madden collected over $100,000,000 in royalties while paying the retired NFL players used in those games absolutely nothing. Madden knows that the ugly truthful litigation is coming and is probably factoring that into his retirement. I doubt he wants to answer all those fans who will be asking, “Why, John Madden? Why did you screw all those retired players over, you seemed like such a friendly, good-natured buffoon?”

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I'lll be the first of those fans. Coach, shame on you buddy if things turn out to be as they seem. If he was aware of the situation, I am truly ashamed of him. He always seemed sincerely caring for the plight of the older players. And lets face it, it hasn't been only Madden and EA... that have screwed the players of yesteryear. What a shame. I will relate a story. Years ago a friend of mine put together a charity Basketball tourney, which included appearances by many Raider Legends of yore. More than one player told my friend within my hearing, that if they had been coached by someone other than Madden, they would have one more than one Super Bowl. I have watched the old playoff games, and AFC title games, and I must say that I agree 100%.
So I have never believed in the "Legend" of John Madden, But I do still admire him as one of the most knowledgeable people to have contributed to the game.