THH Banzai Options

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
A THH ordinarily has freedom of Banzai charge hexgrain/direction towards an AFV target. The unit he is spawned from can become pinned on a '6' dr in its attempt to create him, unless the parent unit has declared a Banzai as well.

Q: To circumvent the possibility of a Pin when attempting to create a THH, the parent unit also declares it will be using a Banzai. If so, under these circumstances, is any THH created from it also bound by the hexgrain/direction that it's parent unit has announced it will use? Or does the THH still have free reign as to hexgrain/direction on its own?

Thanks.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the " regular" banzai goes into stasis, while the THH sprints forward towards his objective like Jesse Owens in a track meet.

After the THH has finished his run, then the banzai resumes.

The THH us free to select any target as his goal, regardless of the "regular" banzai target, hexgrain...

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The THH us free to select any target as his goal, regardless of the "regular" banzai target, hexgrain...
Thanks, this was the only part of your answer that I couldn't find corroboration for. I believe it might be the EXC in G1.5, ".....a T-H Hero who is created (...) in a Japanese MPh must make his own Banzai Charge as per 1.423." It does not say moves on his own as that has already been established in previously numbered rules. I think it is emphasising that his Banzai Charge is to be uniquely his own in every sense of the word; i.e. direction included.

My question stems from the following example: A mob of IJA are in a large open ground expanse and wish to Banzai due north at a couple of enemies. A couple of hexes south of them, also in the open, is an enemy AFV that will start shooting them in the back as they rush north. After declaring a mob-Banzai, could those units attempt to spawn a T-H Hero but have him head due south at the AFV even though they have all declared their direction/hexgrain to be due north. I now believe that the G1.5 EXC grants the T-H Hero this ability.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think the same would also be true for a DC-Hero created during a Banzai Charge.
Which could make for - interesting - outcomes with regard to forcing Defensive First, Final and Final Protective Fire.

von Marwitz

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once upon a time, in Seizing The Sittang Bridge versus Gary Trezza, my DC hero won the game for me.

My Japanese needed to cross grain and open ground to gain the bridge. Unfortunately, there was a 9-1 directing a MMG in a foxhole right in front of the bridge.

So I banzai'd and after four MP, lauched my DC hero who took off with 4 MP, made the foxhole and detonated with a low number, breaking both the crew and 9-1. The banzai then arrived to bayonet any survivors.

That sealed a win, Gary took it well.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So I banzai'd and after four MP, lauched my DC hero who took off with 4 MP, made the foxhole and detonated with a low number, breaking both the crew and 9-1. The banzai then arrived to bayonet any survivors.
Sic!

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think the same would also be true for a DC-Hero created during a Banzai Charge.
Which could make for - interesting - outcomes with regard to forcing Defensive First, Final and Final Protective Fire.
A DC Hero usually dras defensive fire, but an SMC can't force it per A8.312, but perhaps you were thinking of something else?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the " regular" banzai goes into stasis, while the THH sprints forward towards his objective like Jesse Owens in a track meet.

After the THH has finished his run, then the banzai resumes.

Jesse Owens and Louis Zamperini.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A DC Hero usually dras defensive fire, but an SMC can't force it per A8.312, but perhaps you were thinking of something else?
Thank you, Klas. Actually, I was not aware that only MMC enforce FPF. Learning something new about this game every day!

But as you say, a DC-Hero wull usually draw fire...

The tactic I had in mind was the following:
Usually, Americans have a good order morale of 6 or 7. A Banzai Charge is very likely to draw some fire during its approach. If set up well enough, the tough Japanese should reach their targets as MMC and then force Final Fire when these enter the enemy hex.
If the American defenders are hard pushed or aren't careful, they might Final Fire before the original Banzai Charge reaches their hex. If it does in the form of MMC (as you have clarified), the defenders are forced to FPF. Given the Good Order Morale of 6 or 7, this is quite likely to break the Americans.
If the American defenders display more fire discipline to avoid being forced to FPF, then the creation of a DC-Hero during the Banzai Charge can be a nice trick to put a tough decision on the Americans. As the original Banzai Charge is temporarily 'frozen' until the DC-Hero has completed his individual Banzai Charge, the defenders may now choose between the bad and the ugly: They can fire vs. the DC-Hero, which will detonate himself in their hex if they can't stop him. But if they do - regardless of whether they have been successful or not - they might have exhausted their regular fire options when the original Banzai Charge 'unfreezes' to resume its charge and then forces FPF with its dangerous MC on the defenders.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow. That's probably the best little unrealized rules nugget I've seen in years. Thanks Klas!
Yup, pretty sure I've been duped into an FPF situation against a SMC (Zerker SMC, THH/DCH) entering my location which I always thought occurred 1st before any other defensive fire from outside sources just because FPF is triggered by movement into the friendly units Location. I'm quite sure I, and perhaps many others, didn't realize or remember it takes a MMC to activate an FPF situation. I suppose it has limited and situational applicability but certainly one I would guess has been overlooked by the majority of players.