THG - Calvary

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm playing the 2nd Day scenario with Sam, in setup Jenkins has some cav regiments, what is the command & control on these. Are they attached to the CSA II Corp and directed by Ewell? Are they CSA assets directed by Lee?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks

Sam B I don't know who you are but I can't tell you how much it helps having an unbiased player give advice on gameplay. I am a little confused by your answer, is the errata stating that the cav units belong to the Union, or is it the whole CSA II Corp who are under the command of Meade. I am a novice civil war buff, and I don't recall Ewell reporting to Meade, but maybe I missed that chapter, I'm sure the errata is right. Again I can't thank you enough for setting me straight, the guy I'm playing, conicdently is also named Sam B., and he's a real weasel. You wouldn't believe what he goes through to take advantage of me. Oh well, as soon as he get's his F-18 squadron set up on the airfield south of Little Round Top we can begin to play.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Jenkins has no orders. So inferring from 3.5 from the game specific rules, Jenkins can roll for initiative for brigade goal or a corps (and Lee) can send orders to Jenkins to be accepted. The Cav can be attached to any Corps.

Keith

PS This Sam B is the same one that plays ASL I bet, same underhanded tactics, same B.S.:clown:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man! A guy just tries to help out and what do I get? Abuse! Nuttin but abuse!

I'm gonna report ya both! :lier:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jenkins has no orders. So inferring from 3.5 from the game specific rules, Jenkins can roll for initiative for brigade goal or a corps (and Lee) can send orders to Jenkins to be accepted. The Cav can be attached to any Corps

Actually, Corps commanders cannot order the cavalry to attach to their Corps; only Lee, Stuart (via initiative) or Jenkins (again, via initiative) can manage to attach the horse to another formation.

Keep us up to date of your game!

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Actually, Corps commanders cannot order the cavalry to attach to their Corps; only Lee, Stuart (via initiative) or Jenkins (again, via initiative) can manage to attach the horse to another formation.

Lee can issue orders for a Corps Commander to attach the Cav, therefore Corps commanders can attach the cavalry.:D

Keith

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lee can issue orders for a Corps Commander to attach the Cav, therefore Corps commanders can attach the cavalry.:D

Keith
It seems...odd...that the cavalry would be circumvented by that method. I think (and that, my friends, signals entry of dangerous territory!) the proper method would be for Lee (using your example) to order Jenkins (who had a fine, fine beard by the way!) to attach to 2 Corps, using his Command Rating as opposed to Ewell's. (which, I'll assume, is better, despite my thoughts that Ewell is unfairly maligned at Gettysburg) I think this due to the "poaching" comment in 3.4a, which makes sense in that a corps commander may well try (and it was, at Gettysburg) to absorb nearby units to his command.

I mean, I can see the sense of ordering Ewell to attach Jenkins' Brigade (and can think of historical examples of such orders), but it would appear-at least to my convolutions-to be circumventing the rules 3.4a & 3.5> for this particular game. What I'm trying to say is, (finally!) it'd seem more logical to order the cavalry to attach to Ewell's Corps than to order Ewell to absorb them and assume responsibility for informing Jenkins of the order (which would imply perhaps another chance for the dread word, distortion :surprise: ?)

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Dang!! I was trying to teach the newbies a lesson. :devious: Hmmm maybe I did...:cool:

As usual, thanks for all the helpful comments on RSS, Fezziwig.

Keith :smoke:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, no problem-we're all here throwing ideas around for the enjoyment of the game. I am extremely jealous these guys are throwing cardboard on these maps and not me! I only hope they grant us the vicarious thrill of the occasional peek at the action.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
THG Cav

First of all thanks for all of the help, my sense of things is that Jenkins is assigned to Stuart who's not in play yet, so I believe the prudent thing is for Lee to issue orders of attachments to Jenkins to join Jackson (I couldn't resist the temptation paying the VP's to raise the dead and combine him with Fireball Lee). I will see what Sam says (who really isn't a weasel, and I appreciate him bringing me into this and reserving Friday nights for our play).

As far as our game goes, Sam's F-18 squadron hasn't accepted orders or got initiative so I hope this will remain throughout the course of the game. However, I staged a conference at 4 AM since Longstreet, Hill, and Jackson/Ewell had no setup instructions and at 4:15 Longstreet and Jackson accepted their orders and began to move. Seems like early on, my army needs a traffic cop the most, hopefully Hill will accept his orders sometime soon to add to the confusion.

Doles was able to make initial contact with two regiments assaulting Cemetery Hill from the southeast and inflicting some damage on O. O. Howard's 11th Corps. The visibility was 5 hexes so a couple of gun companies were able to support this attack as well. The actual losses were relatively light but two of the morale rolls were 65 and 66 and the other two morale rolls were fairly significant so the 11th has three regiments in rout (one stack had to split up), one disorganized, and five more with a morale state of shaken (due to displacement). This Friday we will play the 4:15 turn for the Union and I'm sure Sam will make some quick repairs and stifle my attack.

So a follow-up question on cav (I really hate to do this) there are two single regiments of cav on the board in Gettysburg, one belonging to Fitzhugh Lee and I forgot who the other belongs to. Since they do not have a brigade commander on the board, how do I command these units?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So a follow-up question on cav (I really hate to do this)
Never apologise for asking a question-

there are two single regiments of cav on the board in Gettysburg, one belonging to Fitzhugh Lee and I forgot who the other belongs to. Since they do not have a brigade commander on the board, how do I command these units?
Going back to the original question, I believe these cavalry regiments-like Jenkins-are attached to 2 Corps (which would save command points for other, more useful purposes). If you check the reinforcement schedule for July 1st, you'll see a note (#9?) that states that Jenkins is attached to 2 Corps. I'd assume, without a countermanding order, they'd be still attached to 2 Corps on the 2nd.

Lee's and Jones' regiments appear also to be attached to 2 Corps, though there is no explicit note stating this. They arrive with Ewell and the 2 Corps trains/HQ and that group has orders that do not mention the cavalry at all. Given that they set up with that same group (maybe they're acting as provost guards?) on the 2nd, I'd tend towards having them trace to 2 Corps HQ as if they were attached, the issue of whether they'd need orders to rejoin the rest of the cavalry when it deigns show up is another matter, altogether.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd also like to thank you guys for answering questions. This forum has made it much easier for Mike and I to get started playing.

Now, I do have a comment, and it's somewhat negative. The Union at-start orders for two or three units have some very basic stuff turned around. 2nd Corps has orders to move to the "right" of 11th Corps and defend the line of Cemetary Ridge. Unless the "L" and "R" wore off my hand too early, I am almost certian this should be "Left".

Same problem with 3rd Corps. It's orders are to defend the line between the 2nd Corps "right" flank and Little Round Top. From the CSA side of the board, this sure looks like it should be the LEFT flank.

One more Left / right mixup with teh 1/Cav. Its' orders are to screen the Union "right flank along Emmitsburg Road". Should be Left flank, I think.

This game has been out for a while and I didn't see any correction in errata for these things. Is the game played so rarely that no one's run into this? :angry:

Just makes me wonder. Thats all.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
So a follow-up question on cav (I really hate to do this) there are two single regiments of cav on the board in Gettysburg, one belonging to Fitzhugh Lee and I forgot who the other belongs to. Since they do not have a brigade commander on the board, how do I command these units?
The Cav belong to Lee (Army). (See Fezziwig's answer below)

Sounds like you have a great game going.

Keith

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
THG Cav

Okay now I really understand the point being made earlier. The battlefield marker for Jenkins at Gettysburg indicates he was assigned to Ewell prior to July 3rd, so it makes sense to me that all CSA Cav at 4 AM on the 2nd is assigned to the 2nd Corps. Thank you for helping with this, hopefully Sam and I will be in agreement with this.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Okay now I really understand the point being made earlier. The battlefield marker for Jenkins at Gettysburg indicates he was assigned to Ewell prior to July 3rd, so it makes sense to me that all CSA Cav at 4 AM on the 2nd is assigned to the 2nd Corps. Thank you for helping with this, hopefully Sam and I will be in agreement with this.
OK, hope it helped.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Now, I do have a comment, and it's somewhat negative. The Union at-start orders for two or three units have some very basic stuff turned around. 2nd Corps has orders to move to the "right" of 11th Corps and defend the line of Cemetary Ridge. Unless the "L" and "R" wore off my hand too early, I am almost certian this should be "Left".

Same problem with 3rd Corps. It's orders are to defend the line between the 2nd Corps "right" flank and Little Round Top. From the CSA side of the board, this sure looks like it should be the LEFT flank.
Hmmm I think you are right. If this is a mixup it probably got discussed but not put into the errata, which was before my time. I have not played this scenario.
One more Left / right mixup with teh 1/Cav. Its' orders are to screen the Union "right flank along Emmitsburg Road". Should be Left flank, I think.
This one could be correct though.

This game has been out for a while and I didn't see any correction in errata for these things. Is the game played so rarely that no one's run into this? :angry:
Just makes me wonder. Thats all.
The Gamers Archive went through a rough period of not being updated before I took over. Please be patient.

Keith

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do know, also, that White's Comanches (35th Va Bn) were requested by Ewell to accompany him (perhaps an old command of his?) during the campaign, so they're a safe bet for attachment as well.

The Maryland Battallion (one of Fitz Lee's units) may also have been provided to Ewell as he was in the van of the ANV in similiar hope as was seen during the Sharpsburg campaign; I'd have to look further to give anything resembling an opinion; I guess recently finishing that biography of Ewell will come in handy!