They put this on a boat?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
***** Screenshot SPOILER ALERT!!! *****

Concerning "The Stone of Erech," covered in part of the Epic Quest series taken in Enedwaith.

Also called the Black Stone, it was brought to Middle-earth from Númenor by Isildur and set at the top of the Hill of Erech. It's described in The Lord of the Rings: "round as a great globe, the height of a man, though its half was buried in the ground."

Now I'm asking simply; can't the "new" developers at Turbine READ THE DANG BOOKS and just show what Tolkien wrote?

The stone is as tall as a man & though half the stone is buried in the ground so, roughly 6 feet of the stone is showing above ground.

Now I'm a LotR nut but understand that some things need to be modified to make the books into a playable game however why screw with the graphical representations of what Tolkien described in detail?

I noted the Gap of Rohan was messed with already morphed into a Mt pass and now we have the Stone of Erech...

****Spoliers****

Taken standing down the crest of the hill from the Stone; it's MASSIVE.
View attachment 34167

Standing next to the Stone. Is that as tall as a man or a giant? It's proportions are all out of whack to the book.
View attachment 34168

We're supposed to believe that Isildur got this stone then put it on a ship in Numenor, then sailed to Middle Earth with it, then rolled it @200 miles cross-country then, rolled this puppy up the hill and buried half of it?

It might be picky but how hard is it to look & get something right that’s written down in front of you in the book you’re supposed to be making a game about? My hope that Edoras / Minas Tirith will be "full sized" & explore-able cities is dwindling.

BTW- this Epic story quest line & back-story history is pretty well done, not counting the stone representation.

Last edited:

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My hope that Edoras / Minas Tirith will be "full sized" & explore-able cities is dwindling.
I haven't played the game, so I don't know how they dealt with other places that were given a similar level of treatment in the books, but I would be surprised if they fleshed out Edoras much. There's really very little about the place in the books.

Minas Tirith, OTOH, deserves to be "full sized".

John

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder if there's any command decisions at Turbine along the lines of: "Since we're only going to be viable for X more years we can skip any investment in details here & here along the way (like skipping the Grey Havens, Tharbad & Lond Daer) and concentrate a bit on Minas Tirith (assuming they detail it out).

If they don't have a drop dead date with Middle Earth Enterprises I'd really hope they'd invest in going into more detail in the few towns they have. Most places have just a few if any indoor locations as most citizens / shops just stand outside in the rain. So there’s not much call for making any location "homey."

Of course there is outside hope they will push the game post-Sauron into Harad & Rhun and back fill locations.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Book doesn't say what kind of man.

Just like in the Scopes Monkey trial, or rather, the play about the Scopes monkey trial, they famously say - the Bible doesn't say how long the seven days were, that God took to make Heaven and Earth out of. The argument being that the first six days of Creation may have been 500 million years - enough time for the dinosaurs to have roamed...

So that stone may be as tall as a "man". Depends if you are a "literalist" when you're readin' yer "Bible". :p