There is a first time for everything....

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yesterday Chris and I were running a final playtest of the Title Track of the Death To Fascism pack......

I was the Russian attacker and decided to use the cover of a T34 to armored assault two 5-2-7 squads across some dangerous open ground. They passed several hexes and survived two Rumanian shots, then went CX to enter a victory building, making Cde Stalin very proud.

Chris' Rumanians fired a 4 + 1 shot at them as they entered, resulting in a MC. They then BOTH went on to roll Snake Eyes on their MC and go Berserk.

In probably 1,000 games of ASL this had never happened to me before - I have had units in the same stack roll undergo Heat of Battle on subsequent shots, but never two units on the same shot.

Since the valiant communists had now gained an extra 3 MF, they proceeded to charge into another VC building where a broken Rumanian was the target. They eliminated the Rumanians through Interdiction in the Rout Phase, so remained Berserk.

Now Chris' infantry reinforcements have arrived and set themselves up to mow down my stack of 5-2-10 squads in two or three hexes of Open Ground as they charge to their deaths.

No doubt, they were inspired by the title of the Scenario.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Peter,

Small world. Happened against me last Tuesday evening in FrF44 Anhalt Pandemonium. Two 5-2-7s, using an IS-2m for cover as they crossed over what would have been open ground, end up taking a NMC. Both roll snakes on their MCs and both end up Battle Hardening into 6-2-8s!

This is why ASL is such a great game.

Looking forward to the pending release at ASLOK!

Bill

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Peter,

Small world. Happened against me last Tuesday evening in FrF44 Anhalt Pandemonium. Two 5-2-7s, using an IS-2m for cover as they crossed over what would have been open ground, end up taking a NMC. Both roll snakes on their MCs and both end up Battle Hardening into 6-2-8s!

This is why ASL is such a great game.

Looking forward to the pending release at ASLOK!

Bill
I prefer your Battle Hardening boys to my Berserkers !!!

Fantastic game indeed......hope we will have a chance to play at ASLOK this year. The DTF pack is very much on course.....we are very excited about its release.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I believe it was Jamie Westlake who once reported that in an Operation Watchtower CG he had a stack of three Marine squads, plus good leader (all armed with MGs, of course) conduct an FPF shot at an oncoming Japanese Banzai charge ... and roll snake-eyes. All three squads went fanatic and generated a hero (and the leader battle-hardened also). Kind of broke the Japanese offensive ....

Ah, berserkers. No matter what happens, you know someone will be crying afterwards.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is so true.

You will feel like one of those brave tall Red Army soldiers in the propaganda pictures, not like the little steppe boy from Kazakhstan that you are.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, it all ended as sadly as I expected.

Both squads charged into a 12-2 shot in the open followed by a 8 flat shot in woods. Both failed a single MC, leaving two 2-2-7 berserk HS in CC with a Rumanian 4-4-7.

In CC, the Rumanians picked off one of the HS, while they could not dent the fascists, and a Melee that he would certainly win.

We ended the playtest there since we were looking at some other improvements......but a very memorable event.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"...followed by a 8 flat shot in woods."
Not that it would have made a big difference, but your Beserkers may of had too use Bypass around the woods to get into the hex as it would be less MF?
A 15.431 ... the charging unit must take the shortest rout (in MF) to the enemy unit. including the use of Bypass. So baring smoke or other hindrances it would likely have been an 8 - 2 shoot

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"...followed by a 8 flat shot in woods."
Not that it would have made a big difference, but your Beserkers may of had too use Bypass around the woods to get into the hex as it would be less MF?
A 15.431 ... the charging unit must take the shortest rout (in MF) to the enemy unit. including the use of Bypass. So baring smoke or other hindrances it would likely have been an 8 - 2 shoot
The woods hex was the hex where the target unit (squad) was located, so there is no bypass there.