The worst shark attack in history was in WWII

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This popped up:

Interestingly there is a farm down the road with stables. Talking to the owner the horses stand in the field in a blob with the "senior" horses in the centre of the blob. Which means they are the last to be eaten when a predator attacks..........as the sailors in this article found out.

buser333

Reaction score
This popped up:

Interestingly there is a farm down the road with stables. Talking to the owner the horses stand in the field in a blob with the "senior" horses in the centre of the blob. Which means they are the last to be eaten when a predator attacks..........as the sailors in this article found out.
One of my favorite movie scenes of all time is when Quint has his monologue in Jaws about this.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The sub was in the Caribbean and surfaced for swim call. Cargo nets draped over the side, divers in the water and shipmate with a rifle on the sail. After about ten minutes the word came out " sharks in the water " and we all climbed back onboard. Lounging around on deck enjoying the sun and fresh air when one of the mess cooks threw a bag of trash over the side. The bag was floating astern when it suddenly lifted partially out of the water with a shark's jaws attached to it. I saw that and headed for the hatch and the safety of subs interior.

That was the first and last time I ever took part in a swim call and only went swimming in the ocean once after that. It was in Mazatlan and something in the water brushed against my leg. I was about ten feet away from the beach and I don't think I have ever moved faster than I did getting ashore.

The destroyer had a swim call after we left Mazatlan and I didn't participate. No sharks but jellyfish. Not good times.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
When Fish was here we rarely watched tv except for Space Ghost Coast to Coast but once I was flipping through the channels and there was a documentary on about the Indianapolis. Fish insisted that we watch it. We did but I told him if there was ever a documentary on about Custer's Last Stand we were going to watch that.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back when I was 10 or so I was swimming with a friend in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Texas. My friend took off running/ swimming to shore yelling "SHARK SHARK', I kind of thought he was playing around so I just stood out in the surf looking around. Something huge brushed against me, and I saw the fin and shape under water, I beat my friend up to the beach. Afterwards I had a red scrape on my leg like someone had sandpapered my leg. I'm not afraid of swimming there, I just don't.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Back when I was 10 or so I was swimming with a friend in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Texas. My friend took off running/ swimming to shore yelling "SHARK SHARK', I kind of thought he was playing around so I just stood out in the surf looking around. Something huge brushed against me, and I saw the fin and shape under water, I beat my friend up to the beach. Afterwards I had a red scrape on my leg like someone had sandpapered my leg. I'm not afraid of swimming there, I just don't.
Glad all you got was a scrape and a scary story.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Only up close experience I have with sharks is going deep sea fishing off of Halifax when I was there for the International Tattoo in 1989, and our boat was pulling baby sharks out of the ocean - and throwing them back afterwards. I can't even remember how much we paid to go out on that rickety little boat with sketchy looking locals, but the ones that we kept were cooked right on the deck over a sterno can. Mostly though the musicians I went on the boat with were hung over and "baiting" the fish with the contents of their stomachs. One dude just crawled on the pile of life jackets at the start of the trip and slept the entire time. That's as close as I think I want to get to a shark.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Only up close experience I have with sharks is going deep sea fishing off of Halifax when I was there for the International Tattoo in 1989, and our boat was pulling baby sharks out of the ocean - and throwing them back afterwards. I can't even remember how much we paid to go out on that rickety little boat with sketchy looking locals, but the ones that we kept were cooked right on the deck over a sterno can. Mostly though the musicians I went on the boat with were hung over and "baiting" the fish with the contents of their stomachs. One dude just crawled on the pile of life jackets at the start of the trip and slept the entire time. That's as close as I think I want to get to a shark.
Ah yes, tummy chumming. I've done that before.??

Didn't catch anything.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Afterwards I had a red scrape on my leg like someone had sandpapered my leg. I'm not afraid of swimming there, I just don't.
I read The Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid and IIRC they used dried shark skin as sandpaper or a file.

On an episode of Cutthroat Kitchen one of the chefs had his knives taken away and had to do all his cutting with a shark's jaw. Apparently a shark is quite the multi tasker.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My lass tried out scuba-diving off the Great Barrier Reef down under. I couldn't go for the same reason that exempted me from military service (though I did have a license when I was a youth and went as deep as 130 ft.). So while she went, I did some snorkeling watching the beautiful corals and fish.

When she came back, she told me of the sharks she had seen off the reef, which send me shivers down the spine - especially, because some local had told me the night before in a bar that his buddy died by a shark attack when surfing.

She was out there with a group including some diving-trainer, so I hope at least they knew what they were doing.
Still, I don't want my love in LOS of a shark - we know after all that LOS is reciprocal...

von Marwitz

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sharks are awesome. I love seeing them underwater and have gotten some great video while scuba diving.

I have almost witnessed a shark attack though. There were 3 sharks resting in a little cavern and 4 divers with cameras dropped in front of them, blocked their exit and started shooting pictures. Think underwater paparazzi's. The idiots didn't notice the sharks getting more and more agitated

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mites and fleas jumping from plague rats to us, after we've killed the rats.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to this blog ..
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-common-cause-of-human-death-in-history
They guesstimated that 108.4 billion humans have ever lived between 50,000 BC and 2017 AD. Most deaths were caused by infectious diseases by a wide margin. They speculate that tuberculosis has probably killed the most, but it's a toss up with malaria (700 million deaths to malaria in 19th century alone & 300 million in 20th century alone ... according to this site).

"The total number of deaths from tuberculosis between 4.000 BCE and 2017 is likely to have been about 11 billion, out of about 77 billion people who lived in that period. In the early 19th Century annual mortality rates from TB in Europe were between 800 and 1,000 per 100,000 per year" .. again, according to this site ... that's a pretty frigging crazy statistic!