The Walking Dead — Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Uneeda Medical Supplies

I've seen three or four episodes of the show and have to admit I was rather pleasantly surprised. The show seems slickly produced, realistic, well-written, and no cardboard characters. That said, I still think people's fascination with zombies is decidedly odd, and possibly the worst social phenomenon this side of the pet rock ;). It leaves me with the feeling that the current generation ('Y'?) has a serious death wish.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I've seen three or four episodes of the show and have to admit I was rather pleasantly surprised. The show seems slickly produced, realistic, well-written, and no cardboard characters. That said, I still think people's fascination with zombies is decidedly odd, and possibly the worst social phenomenon this side of the pet rock ;). It leaves me with the feeling that the current generation ('Y'?) has a serious death wish.
It beats the hell out of the necrophiliac/ bestiality craze of vampires.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I agree - as cool as hte Governor was in the comics (and he was pretty neat on the show as well) last season's story lije just didn't pack a wallop. It seems - right from the get go that theya re going back to the roots of horror - personal loss, fear of disease, lack of control - stuff like that. So far, so good.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I agree - as cool as hte Governor was in the comics (and he was pretty neat on the show as well) last season's story lije just didn't pack a wallop. It seems - right from the get go that theya re going back to the roots of horror - personal loss, fear of disease, lack of control - stuff like that. So far, so good.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Just to let ya know. I do read your blog. I like this season much better than last years, So far.
Thanks. This week's is a bit delayed. I have been battling an upper respiratory infection all week and down and out.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yea. I would like to see them dealing more with the procreation thing. To survive long term the group needs to have kids.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That said, I still think people's fascination with zombies is decidedly odd, and possibly the worst social phenomenon this side of the pet rock ;). It leaves me with the feeling that the current generation ('Y'?) has a serious death wish.
I don't think it has anything to do with death...just the opposite. Most zombie shows (TV/Film) are about survival in the face of apocolyptic disaster. The group dynamics of the survivors always play a bigger role than the zombies (with some exceptions) in these works. The zombie genre has been around for a long time (40-50yrs) but we are only just recently seeing a "craze". I believe this is a reaction to the current political/social/economic instability of the USA...to a lot of folks it may seem like we are on the verge of "THE END".

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I've since done some research on it and came across two interesting explanations. One is that like zombies, the American people by and large have become a bunch of mindless consumers, and the other is that it's the most recent incarnation of the nuclear destruction fantasy where everything we're unhappy about in our own situation and everything we loathe in others goes up in one big mushroom cloud.

Last edited:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Tater. The zombie genre is not about obsession over death or life after death. It is a stand in for any number or potential disaster scenarios that makes you think what if this or that happened. Zombies, which do not exist, may cause less cognitive dissonance for some than say, contemplating the threat of nuclear war, an coronal mass ejection, and deadly pandemic, or an economic collapse.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Tater. The zombie genre is not about obsession over death or life after death. It is a stand in for any number or potential disaster scenarios that makes you think what if this or that happened. Zombies, which do not exist, may cause less cognitive dissonance for some than say, contemplating the threat of nuclear war, an coronal mass ejection, and deadly pandemic, or an economic collapse.
I always love it when people ignore subsequent comments I make and keep hitting on perceived fallacies in the original.

I would also add that about four years ago when the current zombie craze was in its nascent stage, a Facebook friend of mine was an early adopter so to speak. I recall though how she would go on and on about zombies, even when it wasn't Halloween, and I thought to myself, what a strange and bizarre thing for a young adult to be obsessed with. I can definitely think of obsessions that are a whole lot better and healthier.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always love it when people ignore subsequent comments I make and keep hitting on perceived fallacies in the original.

I would also add that about four years ago when the current zombie craze was in its nascent stage, a Facebook friend of mine was an early adopter so to speak. I recall though how she would go on and on about zombies, even when it wasn't Halloween, and I thought to myself, what a strange and bizarre thing for a young adult to be obsessed with. I can definitely think of obsessions that are a whole lot better and healthier.
I don't see how the Zombie "craze" is new at all. It's been going on for YEARS. It's maybe hit more mainstream audiences lately because of good writing and accessibility, but that's pretty much it. I do find it interesting that you've hit on "consumerism", though, as that was the whole point of "Dawn of the Dead". Romero is/was pretty political (Night was about Vietnam, itself). Or, maybe I've just been exposed to the genre for too long.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Romero - the guy who gave us the opus Survival of the Dead. His work was groundbreaking, but his overall track record is uneven at best. I think Dawn of the Dead and Diary of the Dead were his best works.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Romero - the guy who gave us the opus Survival of the Dead. His work was groundbreaking, but his overall track record is uneven at best. I think Dawn of the Dead and Diary of the Dead were his best works.
I don't disagree (I think it mostly fell apart after Dawn, but the first two really make up for it).