The Walking Dead — Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Uneeda Medical Supplies

With all the gore they have on that show they make getting ones legs chopped off with an axe look like it was done by a surgeon with a lazer saw.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I take it you recommend the show? I've yet to see it, but am sort of assuming it capitalizes on the current zombie craze. I would add though that I'm going to the annual Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream (Tampa) this Friday, and this year's theme, not surprisingly, is 'The Walking Dead'.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I take it you recommend the show? I've yet to see it, but am sort of assuming it capitalizes on the current zombie craze. I would add though that I'm going to the annual Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream (Tampa) this Friday, and this year's theme, not surprisingly, is 'The Walking Dead'.
The shows been around for 3 years now and is taken from a graphic novel. I think it helped start the Zombie craze. For all the zombies the show has really been about small group dynamics when a divergent group is thrust into a survival mode in a very hostile environment. The show this year looks to be moving into the area of socail dynamics amongst different tribes or I have taken to many socialogy courses and over thinking it.

I would suggest you get a hold of the last 2 years programs and watch them

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I highly recommend the show. Season One is on Netflix and Season 2 is out on DVD. You can catch it for 29 bucks at Sam's Club.

FYI don't get attached to anyone. Characters don't stick around long usually and no one is safe.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

They really look practiced at house clearing and they seem to have their team work down - right up until that last screwup towrads the end of the episode. Granted - they were very much out of their usual element there.

i remember how the surgery via ax thing played out in the graphic novel, albeit with a different character. The writers do such a good job of touching on memorable scenes and themes from the comic whiel sort of taking the story in new directions. Really well done.

Can't wait for the Governor.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

OK, although I'm more of a vampire fan than a zombie fan, the post-apocalyptic milieu of Walking Dead would probably appeal to me. Having said that, I'm nearly finished going through the old Dark Shadows series from Netflix, so when that happens I will probably put season one of Walking Dead in my queue.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Visited brother last night and he showed me EP1-Season 3, and I was definitely intrigued by it. It seemed realistic and believable, although of course I'm missing all the back story (the apocalypse, the zombie contagion, etc.) I thought it was funny though when the guy and girl looked like they were going to do some snuggling in spite of both of them being ultra grubby. Very romantic. lol Also, that one wannabe ninja woman with the two zombie thralls was definitely a strange bird.

Just had two minor complaints. For one thing the zombies didn't seem much of a challenge, not like the ultra-fast zombies in Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later. It seemed the only time the zombies are a threat is when the humans are heavily outnumbered, surrounded, surprised, or otherwise caught at night. Also, the show was definitely over-the-top brutal, nihilistic even. John Carpenter seems tame by comparison. Gosh, I sometimes think that especially with the current generation of teens and twenty-somethings (that the show seems mainly aiming at), Western Civilization has a serious death wish. ;)

Having said that, the show did spark my curiosity, and I'm seriously considering getting season one from Netflix. As prime-time horror goes, I liked it a lot better than the rather contrived and cliche-ridden Vampire Diaries (teenage angst with fangs :laugh:

Last edited:

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

These zombies follow George Romero's general rules: Slow and plodding, tend to speed up when on the trail of food, and easy to defeat singly but nigh impossible to outlast when a crowd of them surrounds you.

The "ninja woman" Michonne was from the comic. She is one of the most popular characters and ones fans of the comic have been clamoring for.

The mistakes with guns make me a little nutty sometimes (for instance Herhel had the ACOG scope BACKWARDS on his M4 in the tower) but I don't let myself nitpick to death. It's Hollywood. Most people out there regard guns as magic boom sticks of death.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Generally I like the show. Wasn't sure I would get to see this season because of the whole Dish vs. AMC thing. Glad they finally got it straightened out, unfortunately not before the Hell on Wheels season played out.
They sure do like killing off people that you think may be around for a while, I like that.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I picked up a special edition magazine at the grocery store called 'The Night Stalkers', and it is great. It's sort of a whirlwind romp through the entire world of horror and the occult, and of course they have a big section on Zombies where the Walking Dead features prominently. That section also covers the Walking Dead comics, director George Romero, the Mila Jovovich movie series, Richard Matheson and the three movie incarnations of his 'I Am Legend' novel (written way back in 1954), and also zombies in Haitian voodoo folklore including 'Papa Doc' and 'Baby Doc' Duvalier and their would-be zombies in the Tonton Macoutes.

I didn't know that director Frank Darabont was one of the original creators of the Walking Dead series. Not only do I respect him for 'Shawshank Redemption', but also because he is a huge Blade Runner fan. Also, at the risk of stepping on some toes here, Walking Dead comic writer Robert Kirkman gives me the creeps! lol I would say though that I like the comic rendition of Michonne better than the actress who plays her in the series. ;)

Last edited:

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Well - finally we get to see the Governor on teh TV show.

"That's not a nickname....that's a title".

great stuff. You guys who ahven't read the comics are in for some fun.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Major character death in lasy night's epsiode. much better handled than in the graphic novels IMO. This show has just been humming along in high gear since Season 3 started.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Well - finally we get to see the Governor on teh TV show.

"That's not a nickname....that's a title".

great stuff. You guys who ahven't read the comics are in for some fun.
I thought about reading them after watching the first 2 seasons last summer. Im glad i didn't. I don't want to know what is going to happen.

I figured Lori was going to die in child birth but I didn't expect T dog to get it, but with the new guys coming in you knew someone was going to get it. I think Rick and Daryl are safe untill they meet up with Meryl again.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I was kind of surprised by the death of Lori. I think the old man is gone when Merle shows up. I really dig that they don't mind knocking anybody off, with no-one being safe. Though I do admit to really liking Shane and do wish he was still around.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thought tonights episode was rather generic, but see where it was needed in order to setup all the stuff coming down the pipeline. Really do like this series.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The phone rang!

(Fans of the book know who's on the other end). :D