The Walking Dead — Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

I really liked this one about Zombies, its called Highschool of the Dead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLqp7qHri84&feature=related

Its jap anime and its pretty a pretty good story about the zombie plague spreading around the world and how a group of high schoolers gotta deal with it.

Scott
How about designing a 1945 scenario, 12SS Hitler youth retreating back through an existing SS cemetery near Budapest. They realize that the Bolsheviks are a day or so away.

Quickly they work to disguise the cemetery, but No!

The dead SS veterans rise and attack the youths. The frail zombie SS are led by a vampire 10-3 leader, who wounds as a japanese leader but dies if struck by a panzerfaust.

Make it tourney size.

Rich

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uneeda Medical Supplies

February 12th.....just a bit over a week to go. Between this and Mad Men there's something to watch for me and the mrs.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Uneeda Medical Supplies

1 day to go...the author of the comic books did an interview with Salon that was posted today and promises that the rest of the season will play out faster than the first seven episodes did. Our household is in the minority, we have no problem with the story telling and the pace it's been going at.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keith;

I agree with your son about Beth. Happy to have the show back on again...it is the one piece of television I allow myself to watch each week.

Semper Fi!
Scott

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rick takes a big step towards the Rick of the comics in this episode. good stuff - really like the way this is playing out.

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks kdalton. I missed the episode and by reading your blog was able to catch up.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks kdalton. I missed the episode and by reading your blog was able to catch up.
You know they replay it on AMC through out the week prior to the next episode and you can watch it online on amctv . com or other sites as well. So you don't have to miss it

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Matt. I don't know what I find more disturbing the zombies or people's behavior in a SHTF event.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think its time for a Roman orgy on this show.. bring them all together and end some of the sex BS.. dancing girls.. booze for all.. a small zombie attack..:devil:

Last edited:

Peebs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Matt. I don't know what I find more disturbing the zombies or people's behavior in a SHTF event.
Exactly. Not only do you have to deal with zombies, but a-hole people out for their own self interests. When civilization breaks down, the freaks will come out.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly. Not only do you have to deal with zombies, but a-hole people out for their own self interests. When civilization breaks down, the freaks will come out.
I discuss the group dynamics issue in survival situations as part of my review process:

Group survival is like a sausage and peppers platter at the county fair; you know you have to have it, but you're going to have to deal with the heartburn later.
And that is just for the people inside the disparate band of survivors. When society's checks and balances are no longer in place the predators have free reign.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And that is just for the people inside the disparate band of survivors. When society's checks and balances are no longer in place the predators have free reign.
My wife and I go back and forth about Shane more than any other character on the show. I think he's just the sort of person who is really cut out for post Z life. He would probably fit in real good with the group of people that they encountered by the bar in S02E09. I think Shane would leave someone with a leg impaled on a post with no compunction, his behavior in this group is more motivated by his small brain thinking about Lori. On the other hand, there have been a bunch of times when Shane's come through for the group. Like 'em or not they need him more than they know. I doubt that they're going to lay off of the love triangle issue which is pretty much the only part of the show that doesn't do it for me. I do like it that they're keeping Shane around, my prediction is that Mr. Winnebago is going to waste him if anyone does but...if they do go the prision route that the comics do I hope that they keep Shane around for some of the Z mop-up stuff.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The more I watch this show the more I realize I don't think the scenario of an outbreak as depicted in this show or other Zombie movies could materialize if it were possible (being non-fiction were it) would actually create the apocalypse. The intial outbreak area no matter how populated would not be able to incubate/transmit (infected host attacks victim, eats victim, victim dies, victim reaninamates; lather-rinse-repeat cycle) fast enough from the intial epidemic-flash point. It becomes more plausible in a "28 Days Later" scenario, but you would still need multiple flash points and the victims take too much time to become infected and they aren't leaving the intial flash point area while people are either quarantining them, killing them, or running away, plus zombies are SLOW sense based using only no GPS using wanderers where a rapid reaction force would isolate them. Still a good show though, I wish Season 2 and 3 would have focused more on the intial outbreak since the current season feels more like a middle of the series type season assuming it goes 8-10 seasons, which it more likely will given the ratings it receivies.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with a bit of Matt's comment above. I wish they would do a little more flashback stuff (but please, nothing on the scale of "Lost") and show the primary characters in pre-Z life as well as more of all hell breaking loose as things go from bad to worse to get the devil outta dodge. There was an episode with a Lori flashback that I thought they did an exceptional job on, as presented in pre-Z time she carried herself entirely differently - confident, a bit of poise, maybe looked up to a bit by the other moms and enjoying the security of her life and very different from the Olive Oyl-ish deer in the headlights post-Z.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The more I watch this show the more I realize I don't think the scenario of an outbreak as depicted in this show or other Zombie movies could materialize if it were possible (being non-fiction were it) would actually create the apocalypse. The intial outbreak area no matter how populated would not be able to incubate/transmit (infected host attacks victim, eats victim, victim dies, victim reaninamates; lather-rinse-repeat cycle) fast enough from the intial epidemic-flash point. It becomes more plausible in a "28 Days Later" scenario, but you would still need multiple flash points and the victims take too much time to become infected and they aren't leaving the intial flash point area while people are either quarantining them, killing them, or running away, plus zombies are SLOW sense based using only no GPS using wanderers where a rapid reaction force would isolate them. Still a good show though, I wish Season 2 and 3 would have focused more on the intial outbreak since the current season feels more like a middle of the series type season assuming it goes 8-10 seasons, which it more likely will given the ratings it receivies.
World War Z had a plausible outbreak/spread scenario.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And one thing about WWZ that I like is that it posits an end. Zombies are after all rotting flesh and it may be anticlimactic to think but if enough of the living are able to just wait them out while practicing a war of attrition, well, eventually there would be no more zombies or at least a manageable level of zombies. I think Max's book is the hands down best zombie fiction ever. Does anyone have an idea when J L Bourne's 3rd book in his Day-by-Day series will be out?
Not to totally pull it off topic so I'll bring it back to WD - the comics have taken an interesting turn, the last I saw it seemed like they found a group of people who were promising some sort of stable existence. It seemed like Rick thought it was just too good to be true. I haven't read the most recent issues too thoroughly but if they're going in that direction it would be interesting to see. One thing I don't like about this genre is people seem to get by for a long time scavenging. I think a first winter would be real hard on survivors, food is food and a lot of people don't know how to hunt or dress a carcass. Restarting society could be just as interesting to watch as society shutting down.
You're also looking at a quasi ''The World Without Us Scenario'' and there are things that are just not addressed with people not around to attend everything. Imagine if you think there's shelter somewhere and you try to go by a region where there used to be a nuclear power plant!

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And one thing about WWZ that I like is that it posits an end. Zombies are after all rotting flesh and it may be anticlimactic to think but if enough of the living are able to just wait them out while practicing a war of attrition, well, eventually there would be no more zombies or at least a manageable level of zombies.
I made that point earlier. Unless the disease itself slows down the deterioration of soft tissues, at some point, cartilage (and even more importantly) tendons will be reduced to such a state that they will no longer allow the zombies any locomotive ability.

Also, if I am not mistaken, it is summer time in the Walking Dead world...in the deep south...those corpses should already be covered in maggots. Again, unless the disease renders the dead flesh repellent to flies the zombies should be covered in maggots and being quickly consumed as they walk along.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How dare we allow reality to intrude on zombie fiction.

I always watch stuff like this and think, "there's gonna be flies everywhere." Are the flies going to catch the zombie virus or will they just be carriers? Either way, game over pretty fast.