The Walking Dead — Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Pocky101

Reaction score
Hello!

Many people I know watch it. Everyone asks me if I watch it and I say the same things "I am not into Zombie stories". For the most part they say the same thing to me, "neither am I its not really a zombie story, its a story with zombies in it".

I bought the big assed trade of the first 49 issues of the comic, but have not started it yet. If that gets me hooked, I will find season one and check it out.

Peace

Roger
The show deviates heavily from the comics from what I've been told. Never read them myself but I have friends who have.

Russell Williams

Potatoe Peeler 3rd Class
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For anyone who missed the first episode of season 2: http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/the-walking-dead-episode-201

I really like how AMC does all of it's shows' stories in an arc over a season, and the quality of actors in all the shows I've watched. (Anyone else notice that Heisenberg's product survived the zombie apocalypse and made it all the way to Georgia!)

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah - starting around Episode 4 of teh first season, the show started diverging from the storyline in the graphic novels (which are still really worth reading) Its interesting hwo they are handling this. I liek that they are making chanegs to keep readers guessing about what is going to happen while still getting teh feel of the books translated well. So far, so good - it has been a pretty grim and exciting adaptation and its on my "must watch" list.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FYI I started doing reviews of the Walking Dead Season Two. Anyone interested in my ramblings can go here.

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My wfie and I are really enjoying the second season. I've read the comics, she doesn't care much about them but occasionally asks about the divergences. I like what they are doing with Shane a lot & I think, especially in season 1, that he gets a bad rap. He isn't helping his cause this time around.

The critic on Salon has a real love hate relationship with the season and hates pretty much any scene where they talk. I read his reviews before watching each episode and was worried that I wouldn't like the first episodes of this season and I loved them from start to end. Then I figured what his beef is. You see, each episode has one gratuitiously violent zombie scene, personally i think they do this for the Romero crowd (of which I am sorta.....love Romero movies, don't need extreme gore) but I don't need that scene to be at that level of gore. I like the story and the path that the characters are on, that's the whole point of the show. The dude at Salon gets upset when the cast talks but what would you do in real life if this is happening? Ok, no zombies are attacking you and you are in a safe house. Are you going to sit and say nothing to no one? Of friggin' course you're going to talk about the s***storm of zombie armaggedon that is coming down. I figure this critic wants nonstop Olde Country Ghoul Buffet action. Fine, but say that's what you want.

One of the biggest gripes about modern tv in our house is no character development and this one has it in spades, we love this show and look forward to it each week.

I wish my video fanediting skills were better, I would love to reedit episode 1 and include the 6 internet webisodes, the hospital flashbacks from E6 and some of the minor flashbacks from this season into one Uber-Episode 1.

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the only shows I record to watch*. Glennbo has got me hooked on zombies (played another scenario just tonight). I am working on some scenarios based (loosely) on TWD.

*BTW, this is the only way I watch anything other than some news programing. That way I can FF through all the commercials.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The last 2 episodes are dragging for me.

Plus, the zombies have speeded up it seems from the first season and even the first episode of the second season. It was done for dramatic purposes so that Shane would have a reason to shoot Otis.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great job by the oriental dude.

Ropes the zombie and bags the babe. Good for him. At least one of the group is happy.

Watched Hell on Wheels, but the jury is still out as they're introducing characters and setting the story.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enjoyed the first season, zombies, good looking women...

The jury is still out this season for me . The plot errors (I know we are watching zombies) seem to be more numerous. Try hunting a dear, you can't get close; much less get close enough to have the bullet go through the deer and you.

One episode the zombies are fearsome, the next a bunch of conscipts (with a +2 in HTH).

Rich

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try hunting a dear, you can't get close...
I've been fairly close to a deer(less than 50', non-hunting) and even uncomfortably closer to a Fisher Cat that had it's blood up (Had just been fighting a beaver), and likely closer still to a black bear that appeared to be stalking either myself, or my pug-sicle just around my back yard...that aside, it's just a plot device and there are plenty of stories, possibly apocryphal, of that sort floating around. The main gist of TWD is the human reactions to a world turned upside down and the perseverance of the human race; at that it's been on the whole successful.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The last 2 episodes are dragging for me.

Plus, the zombies have speeded up it seems from the first season and even the first episode of the second season. It was done for dramatic purposes so that Shane would have a reason to shoot Otis.
They lumber around slowly until they spot prey, then speed up some. Rematch the two chasing Sophia in the first ep.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They lumber around slowly until they spot prey, then speed up some. Rematch the two chasing Sophia in the first ep.
They shifted back to the slow zombies last night when Shane and Andrea were in the subdivision. It's annoying to me.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try hunting a dear, you can't get close

Maybe you're using the wrong cologne, or bait. Try diamonds and cold hard cash.

I gave up hunting 20 years ago, but most of the deer, hogs and the two black bear I took were within 40 feet....gotta get close with a bow.
I do agree, that the little boy walking up to a deer in the woods is unlikely in the extreme...unless it was a pet.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They shifted back to the slow zombies last night when Shane and Andrea were in the subdivision. It's annoying to me.
Well, the zombies are rotting...I would imagine that the differing degrees of decomposition also effects speed/dexterity from one zombie to the next. That is to say, the fresher...the faster.

Also, I noticed that in bright sun light they seem slower...less intense. In lower light they seem a little quicker more focused.

Rockford

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the zombies are rotting...I would imagine that the differing degrees of decomposition also effects speed/dexterity from one zombie to the next. That is to say, the fresher...the faster.

Also, I noticed that in bright sun light they seem slower...less intense. In lower light they seem a little quicker more focused.
I think you've given this issue a lot more thought than the writers or producers of the show.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you've given this issue a lot more thought than the writers or producers of the show.
Not so sure about that...these writers/producers/directors/actors have a huge vested interest in the series continuing for a long time. I suspect that they are considering all these points as they try to construct the "Zombie Apocalypse" fantasy environment. If my $$$ per episode (plus residuals) was tied to making the fantasy as "believable/realistic" as possible I would leave NO stone unturned.

BTW, one thing I had considered...and it is in the same vein as my comments about decomposition of Zombies. At some point in the not to distant "fantasy" future, ALL the zombies will decompose to a point that they will no longer be able to maintain their animated "demi-life" status. Ligaments, tendons and muscle are soft tissue and these soft tissues are what knit the bone structure together. Eventually these soft tissues will rot to the point that it will not be able to support the skeletal structure. The zombies should all start to collapse around a year or so of their initial point of death.

The only exception would be if the virus/disease some how slows the decomposition process. However, given how the zombies look and are portrayed in the show...that doesn't appear to be the case.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ALL the zombies will decompose to a point that they will no longer be able to maintain their animated "demi-life" status. Ligaments, tendons and muscle are soft tissue and these soft tissues are what knit the bone structure together.
Needing to take into account winter/freezing...

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not so sure about that...these writers/producers/directors/actors have a huge vested interest in the series continuing for a long time. I suspect that they are considering all these points as they try to construct the "Zombie Apocalypse" fantasy environment. If my $$$ per episode (plus residuals) was tied to making the fantasy as "believable/realistic" as possible I would leave NO stone unturned.

BTW, one thing I had considered...and it is in the same vein as my comments about decomposition of Zombies. At some point in the not to distant "fantasy" future, ALL the zombies will decompose to a point that they will no longer be able to maintain their animated "demi-life" status. Ligaments, tendons and muscle are soft tissue and these soft tissues are what knit the bone structure together. Eventually these soft tissues will rot to the point that it will not be able to support the skeletal structure. The zombies should all start to collapse around a year or so of their initial point of death.

The only exception would be if the virus/disease some how slows the decomposition process. However, given how the zombies look and are portrayed in the show...that doesn't appear to be the case.
I never thought i'd see the day that you would stoop to using a "reality" argument. :D