Votes: 41 31.3%
  • It is so dark it needs re-doing.

Votes: 19 14.5%

• Total voters

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's dark and there is some "bleed" in the graphics, but not enough to warrant a complete redo in my opion. YMMV

Barryrk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A bit too dark, but not unplayable- I just have to look closer. Doesn't require replacement IMO. (but if sometime down the road a reprint becomes available,I'd buy it).

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do want to add to this that I think the artwork is really great. Don did an awsome job, it's clearly the shading of the print that's dark.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I find that the overall dark hue makes is difficult too easily tell a gutted building from one that is not gutted. The railway cars are problematic as well, but I forget exactly why; I haven't played with them for a few months.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the map is almost unplayable. (really - maybe my eyes aren't as good as yours...)

Its a beautiful map. It's a shame it has such poor contrast. In some ways, I'd prefer a map with garish contrast that was easy to see the rail cars, etc. to what we have.

I would definitely buy a new map if it was better.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I voted too dark...but like others said...it's still playable. Although I would not hesitate to purchase a re-done version.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find that the overall dark hue makes is difficult too easily tell a gutted building from one that is not gutted. The railway cars are problematic as well, but I forget exactly why; I haven't played with them for a few months.
Because the railway tracks are dark grey with little hatchmark lines across them (the ties), while the boxcars are dark brown with little hatchmark lines across them (the roof ridges). Because the map is so dark, when I look at both types of artwork I see the "dark" instead of the color, making it difficult to tell where one stops and the other starts.

Meanwhile, the tanker cars came out almost exactly the same color as the level 1 Open Ground artwork, so they also tend to blend together.

John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had mine enlarged to 167%. That did a lot to clarify some issues, but they also improved the contrast, so that also helped. In my opinion the small size of the hexes (for the counter density) was a MUCH BIGGER ISSUE than the "darkness" of the print.
My advice: Get your map enlarged! You'll love it!

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
It is way too dark for old eyes. Only with a bright light and a magnifying glass can I tell the difference between trains and whatever that is with/next to them. For me it was so bad that I would not buy it since I would get eyestrain from it.

ps. The building art work is the worst of any building in ASL-dom.

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...ps. The building art work is the worst of any building in ASL-dom.
As much as I hate to disagree with a MARINE, I'm sorry, the CG buildings in CH!'s Berlin module are the fugliest buildings _ever_.

An unfortunate blight on an otherwise good product.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry, the CG buildings in CH!'s Berlin module are the fugliest buildings _ever_.
Well, so were the real ones. Berlin was not the prettiest of cities, esp. in 1945 after USAAF and RAF urban renewal.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, so were the real ones. Berlin was not the prettiest of cities, esp. in 1945 after USAAF and RAF urban renewal.
I'm talking the artwork; it isn't enough of a turn-off that I'd ditch my copy, but I don't care for the "unitexture" of the building art. I'm sure once covered in counters of myriad hue and shape, that'd diminish into play of the game itself but as a stand alone piece of map art, I say ":kotz:".

I really prefer the BRV <and VotG> style artwork over the impersonal coldness of computer graphics *in this case*.

I know you are involved with CH! as a playtester <kudos for this, btw!> and I know full well the closeness any perceived criticisms hit on projects with personal involvement, but this is neither a slam on your or other playtesters efforts, nor one on CH!

Less-than-stellar maps are legend throughout wargaming <Ruweisat Ridge, Blood on the Snow, Cassino, Napoleon at Leipzig, They Shall Not Pass...> but few rise to the point of unplayability; I don't think the BFotTR map reaches that point, either.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A bit of a conflict between ugly and functional. The ugliest buildings in HASL history were on the original BdF map. However, they were extremely functional and you knew exactly where the building edges were.

The playtest VotG map had slightly larger hexes, and a reddish tinge that we were told would be fixed in the final version. Ralph got many thanks for his printing job on that map--well done indeed.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
As much as I hate to disagree with a MARINE, I'm sorry, the CG buildings in CH!'s Berlin module are the fugliest buildings _ever_.

An unfortunate blight on an otherwise good product.
My apologies! Not having the CH Berlin map, I did not know. :OHNO:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know you are involved with CH! as a playtester <kudos for this, btw!> and I know full well the closeness any perceived criticisms hit on projects with personal involvement, but this is neither a slam on your or other playtesters efforts, nor one on CH!
Fez: I didn't take your comments as slight at all, but thanks for your kind words.

My response was something I actually felt :that the map purposely portrays the nazi capital as cold, impersonal, gray and what not. My USAAF comment was a bit glib but hey, they did turn the place into a mess...

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Technically the Russians put more tonnage of explosives into Berlin than both RAF and USAAF combined, so the renewal was a cooperative affair...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My response was something I actually felt :that the map purposely portrays the nazi capital as cold, impersonal, gray and what not. My USAAF comment was a bit glib but hey, they did turn the place into a mess...
Thats how it comes across in the scenario I'm playing right now. The City is big, brash and desolate. Makes for interesting ASL combat. See my AAR on "Gotterdammerung" in the appropriate section.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thats how it comes across in the scenario I'm playing right now. The City is big, brash and desolate. Makes for interesting ASL combat. See my AAR on "Gotterdammerung" in the appropriate section.
An excellent read, btw, I recommend everyone take a peek at the ongoing AAR.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Too dark for me.But I must qualify that by adding that I am taking 3 different medications that each have the side effect of blurring vision.I have also taken quality colored pencils to the outlines of the gutted buildings and railcars to change the contrast a bit.This has helped immensely.I won't say the map needs to be redone,but I would purchase a new higher contrast map if one were made available.