The VASL Map Bazaar is open!

Tysken

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hej,

a fast question - do we have the VASL map for "Decision at Elst" available - I checked the bazaar, but did not find any. If "yes", could you please provide me with the link for downloading it?

Thanks a lot for your answer (& link).

BR/Tysken

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Will. I'll check into it.
G'day

Doing this on mobile phone so hope it works

If anyone is looking into problems on RB map Version 2
There are three hexes that should be marked with sewer enterence locations that aren't
A10 (Road Skulpturnaya Street)
D39 (Hex shouth of the culvert location)
S38 (Gully with cliffs on both sides)

People may have mentioned this before. But I haven't seen it yet

Neil Andrews
Bathurst
Australia

Jim Burris

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a VASL map done for the St Louis Lost Theater historic map, but it is too high resolution. Can someone tell me if there is a way to scale the VASL map in the data file? That is, my RaM.gif file is 216 dpi and VASL runs at 72 dpi. I have tried to reduce the resolution using Paint Shop Pro, but the quality of the map deteriorates greatly. If there is a way to scale the resolution in the data file, this would finish the VASL map. The map in its current state will work in VASL, but the counter are small compared to the size of the hexes.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

ZenRiver

Heretic
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have a VASL map done for the St Louis Lost Theater historic map, but it is too high resolution. Can someone tell me if there is a way to scale the VASL map in the data file? That is, my RaM.gif file is 216 dpi and VASL runs at 72 dpi. I have tried to reduce the resolution using Paint Shop Pro, but the quality of the map deteriorates greatly. If there is a way to scale the resolution in the data file, this would finish the VASL map. The map in its current state will work in VASL, but the counter are small compared to the size of the hexes.

Thanks for any help,

Jim
Paint Shop pro is not ideal for serious graphics work. Plus you need to make sure you do not confuse the DPI with the resolution (technically not the same thing). What you are talking about is either the X and Y size in pixels (true resolution required) or you simply go into Photoshop and change the DPI - which is really just an arbitrary number that the printing process requires.

Message me if you need help with it still, or more likely you can send the file to one of the VASL primaries on here like David or Nadir and they can probably just do it for you.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I figure you all would like an update.

There hadn't been any sounds from upstairs in quite a long time. Us here in the dungy basement of the VASL map cabal had started to wonder if we were free to venture out into the fresh air and sunshine again. Just when I garnered the courage to test the rusted door knob, the door flung open and a new recruit was quickly led downstairs and given a table and quill. Please welcome Scott to the cabal! He's off and running (though not with scissors) with excellent effort so far. In time I'm sure he'll learn to pace himself. You see the food and water only goes so far and you must learn to mete out your energy reserves.

That was several weeks ago and it's been quiet upstairs once again. Hmmm, I wonder if Tuomo is no longer about. Rumor is he's more interested in writing lately.

Better not chance it. Back to work.

And here's what's being done...

Released and available for download:
Bd 3 has been updated with a Scenario Specific Overlay (SSO) for J44 Audacity
Bd 19 has been updated with a SSO for OB3 Brasch Encounter
There's a new version (v2) of the RB map. It updates the artwork of the longstanding version 1 map (thank you to whomever did that map!). Don't use v2 to finish off your v1 games in progress. You won't like the results.

Nearly complete and oh so close for release:
Bds 69 and 73
Bds 10z and 17z
A corrected size of Bd 52 so it will display without a gap

In progress but getting close:
Bds 70, 71 and 72
AP 11 overlays
Update adding light woods terrain transformation for numerous boards

And finally, in the it's gonna happen category:
Rick (of BFP fame) has provided the art work so we can vaslize his soon to appear PiF masterpiece

Look for a major upload of VASL goodness soon. My best guess is early January time frame.

Until then please know that your vasl cabalers are huddled over their tables, feather quills madly flickering to and fro in the dim candlelight, wondering if Tuomo still lurks about in the halls above.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Al

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Thanks as always for your service! Now get back to work. What do you think it is, Christmas?

General note: the d/l link on VASL.info for the RB v2 map gives a 404 error. (Also, it seems a bit odd that there's a link to the v1 d/l separated away from the v2 d/l link. Someone who doesn't know there's a v2 might think that the v1 is the only one there if they're not looking very hard.)

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmm, the Tuomo won't be pleased. I'll have get this fixed. Sam?

Thanks as always for your service! Now get back to work. What do you think it is, Christmas?

General note: the d/l link on VASL.info for the RB v2 map gives a 404 error. (Also, it seems a bit odd that there's a link to the v1 d/l separated away from the v2 d/l link. Someone who doesn't know there's a v2 might think that the v1 is the only one there if they're not looking very hard.)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I figure you all would like an update.

There hadn't been any sounds from upstairs in quite a long time. Us here in the dungy basement of the VASL map cabal had started to wonder if we were free to venture out into the fresh air and sunshine again. Just when I garnered the courage to test the rusted door knob, the door flung open and a new recruit was quickly led downstairs and given a table and quill. Please welcome Scott to the cabal! He's off and running (though not with scissors) with excellent effort so far. In time I'm sure he'll learn to pace himself. You see the food and water only goes so far and you must learn to mete out your energy reserves.

That was several weeks ago and it's been quiet upstairs once again. Hmmm, I wonder if Tuomo is no longer about. Rumor is he's more interested in writing lately.

Better not chance it. Back to work.

And here's what's being done...

Released and available for download:
Bd 3 has been updated with a Scenario Specific Overlay (SSO) for J44 Audacity
Bd 19 has been updated with a SSO for OB3 Brasch Encounter
There's a new version (v2) of the RB map. It updates the artwork of the longstanding version 1 map (thank you to whomever did that map!). Don't use v2 to finish off your v1 games in progress. You won't like the results.

Nearly complete and oh so close for release:
Bds 69 and 73
Bds 10z and 17z
A corrected size of Bd 52 so it will display without a gap

In progress but getting close:
Bds 70, 71 and 72
AP 11 overlays
Update adding light woods terrain transformation for numerous boards

And finally, in the it's gonna happen category:
Rick (of BFP fame) has provided the art work so we can vaslize his soon to appear PiF masterpiece

Look for a major upload of VASL goodness soon. My best guess is early January time frame.

Until then please know that your vasl cabalers are huddled over their tables, feather quills madly flickering to and fro in the dim candlelight, wondering if Tuomo still lurks about in the halls above.

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Al
Nice to hear that things are getting close. Thanks Al.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I want to thank all of you that are involved in the mapmaking work for VASL for your efforts. Together with all those working on VASL, the counters, code, and other subterfuge, you make all the difference to so many of us that have tough times organizing FtF play and you bring together the ASL community throughout the world.

Three cheers for you ! :toast:

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'd propose another candidate for a SSO, which I am currently trying to set up for VASL but can't nicley trick some Marsh on board which is SSR'ed in along with a bunch of other terrain changes:

Board 40 for AP103 "That Damn Bridge"

The SSR that makes life hard is:

1. EC are Moderate, with no wind at start. All hedges are Bocage (B9.5) with a +1 Bog DRM. Place overlays as follows: O5 on 40P5-O6; O4 on 40O8-O7; and O2 on 40P8-Q8. Orchard and grain hexes (including on placed overlays as per clarification by the scenario designer) on board 40 are open ground Shellholes (any walls / Bocage bordering those hexes exist as per clarification of the scenario designer). Road and Bridge hexes on board 40 west of the river and adjacent to a river hex [EXC: 40Q4] are Marsh. A two-lane stone bridge exists in hexes 40Q2-Q3. Place an M4A1 MT wreck and 4 A-T minefield factors in 40Q4.

von Marwitz