The unofficial Distant Guns 'wish list'

Rhetor

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Mowers said:
Yeah, I have been finding that a bit annoying, especially when the "battle" was against a transport ship
... which "battle" ended as soon as it began, because no ships were actually spotted in the battle mode.

grumbler

Reaction score
Country
ll
bow waves

Small point but would add greatly to the immersion [pun intended]. Would look great to have a bow wave as ships increase speed.

cheers
David

Dogbert

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
This may sound like an oxymoron:

Enable the maximize button on the window in windowed mode, so I can run the window, well, maximized (but not fullscreen).

FuurinKazan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 'wishlist' (so far)

I'd enjoy seeing:

A) a hit log total hits, caliber of shell hit, location, etc...I suppose it's not the most important to the overall game, but..I've wanted to see some stats while playing...

B) less enemy ship info-More fog of war Alot of window information on enemy ships is too specific-i.e class and name, exact speed, overly precise damage estimates, exact range and course info..Not to mention the "Sinking in 2:04:42" messages! Definately more fog of war, here...More estimates instead of exacts

that's it so far...

*Ed: Ahh..man, oh man..I suppose you CAN create divisions-I swear I tried it before and...oh well, works just fine.
..Smoking!

Last edited:

Zouave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing I'd love to see is a large pop-up box when you click on a port that would allow easier selection of TF's. It's sometime tough to pick out the little green dot you want, especially if there are many of them.

Mobeer

Reaction score
Country
ll
stop when rudder jammed

Wanted - the ability to change speed when the rudder is jammed. I had a destroyer round aground when the rudder was jammed straight ahead. As far as I could tell, the ship could not be stopped?

Spharv2

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rhetor said:
Annoying thing - after each engagement a task force is automatically ordered to return to base. Not so much a problem in Yellow Sea sorties, but in the case of commerce raider sent to the other side of Japan...
Please for the love of god remove this replotting from the game. I tend to plot fairly complicated paths for my ships, and resetting it gets really old after the 5th or 6th time I come upon a group of TBs who just run away or a merchant I never even see, ect. It's not like it would be a big deal after the battle to pause it and tell them to return to base. A whole lot easier than replotting the entire course again.

Last edited:

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
The campaign AI needs to be tweaked - see my post in the After Action Reports section about stupid AI TB patrols.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Improving the Text Buffer

I suggest some refinements to the text buffer:
  • Being able to toggle the display of each type of message, especially those saying a ship is firing
  • When the game is paused, display all text in the buffer at full brightness and suspend text fading. If the text has already faded away, bring it back.
  • When the game is paused, bring up a scroll bar beside it so you can read everything that's ever been in the text buffer from the beginning of the battle.
  • Abbreviate ship classes instead of spelling them out, to ease speed-reading the text. IOW, "BB" instead of "battleship".
  • As a further aid to speed-reading, italicize the names of ships.
  • Have hit messages on IJN ships appear in pink and hit messages on IRN ships appear in blue
  • In the hit messages, say where the shell or torp came from. IOW, "BB Mikasa struck by 305mm shell from BB Tsessarevitch"
  • Have all critical damage reports, sinking reports, and reports of torp hits appear in red, regardless of nationality. IOW, "PC Pallada struck by 457mm torpedo from DD Usugumo", or "BB Asahi is sinking"

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Improved Sailing Orders Interface

I would like the ability to right-click on waypoints and having a popup box come up asking me for the time and day I want the TF to get there. I would only be able to enter times in the future, of course, consistent with the readiness status of the TF and its best travel time. At present, there is no way to know when a TF will leave port (although you can guess), and definitely no way to know when it will be at its objective at all, until you give it orders. This is both totally unrealistic and very inconvient from a gameplay perspective as well.

Example:

It's currently 1400 on 15 Feb. I have a minelaying TF in Port Arthur. Its full of valuable but vulnerable ships, so I want it to avoid contact if possible, both in running the blockade of Port Arthur going and returning, and while laying its mines. Therefore, I want all these activities to happen in the dark. Entering and leaving harbor can be done at any time on the clock, provided it's at night, but I want the minelayers at their objective fairly early in the night so they have sufficient darkness to lay their mines and get away before the sun comes up.

So I lay out my path of waypoints, and rightclick on one of them where I want to lay mines. I select the mine icon to lay mines there, and then another popup appears asking when I want the actual minelaying to start. I envision this popup looking as follows:
  • At the top of it is a checkbox asking if I want to leave port in darkness.
  • In the middle is a dropdown list of possible arrival times and dates at the minelaying objective. These times would be in whole hours.
  • At the bottom would be another checkbox asking if I want to return to port in darkness
So, I check the top checkbox saying I want to leave port in darkness. The game now knows that if the ship is ready to sail before dark, to stay in port until night falls.

Then I look at the time-on-target dropdown list. This should show me a 24-hour window in whole hours. The earliest time-on-target would be for leaving as soon as it was dark at my home base, and then going at top cruising speed to the objective. The other times in the list would be for traveling slower if necessary, to wait for darkness at the objective. So I pick a time fairly early in the night to begin minelaying, giving me lots of darkness to complete the job and get away.

Finally, I check the "arrive home in darkness" box. This tells the game to adjust the TF's speed on the return trip so that it gets home under cover of night.

It would be nice if specifying times to be at certain points was not tied to specific missions or objective locations. For example, I'd like to be able to order all my commerce raiders to come and go at night, and also be able to pass several different specified choke points along their route in darkness, and then to continue on the rest of their path.

Mobeer

Reaction score
Country
ll
Task force sailing time

Bullethead said:
..At present, there is no way to know when a TF will leave port (although you can guess), and definitely no way to know when it will be at its objective at all, until you give it orders.
It seems a task force will always sail in:
- 1 hour if currently at ready status
- 25 hours if currently at rest status

You can also force a task force at rest to sail in just 1 hour:
- give orders to sail (delay 25 hours)
- give orders to be ready (instantly cancel sailing orders)
- give orders to sail (delay 1 hour)

Ironhand

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish the scrolling on the screen could be saved to a text file. I was playing the PA attack and trying to write a time line of the events (12:20 Incoming enemy units. 12:22, Palleda hit by torpedo, 12:23 Askold released.....). I tried the pause feature, but the text fades out.

SunScream

Reaction score
Country
ll
For the campaign:

Armour ratings to decrease as coal stocks are exhausted.

Alarums & excursions , e.g. Japanese "lights on floats" false sightings.

Japanese attempts to block Port Harbour entrance by scuttling merchant ships (they nearly succeded, too.)

Boarding actions. Really. In that wonderfully unbiased and totally impartial [/sarcasm] 3 volume book "Japan's Fight For Freedom" it shows some destroyer on destroyer actions that get as far as hand to hand fighting on the decks...

Last edited:

FuurinKazan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm surprised I hadn't noticed this earlier.

In a word, Ice. Where's the ice?

Shouldn't Valdivostok and other Northern ports be frozen in in the winter/early spring months?

Or, at least, a large speed penalty for sailing through the 'frozen' zones-I know that historically, the status of the Ice was a large operational factor in the early going..After all, an all-year port was one of the big perks of Port Arthur.

Mobeer

Reaction score
Country
ll
Captains outrank Admirals?

I've noticed that when moving ships between divisions, I seem to lose Admirals.

e.g., division A has ship 1 with an Admiral on board, division B has ship 2 with a Captain on board. Move ship 1 into division B and the Captain of ship 2 remains in charge of the division.:(

It would be nice if the Admiral would take command of the division, perhaps even transferring his flag if ship 2 were more powerful.

grumbler

Reaction score
Country
ll
FuurinKazan said:
I'm surprised I hadn't noticed this earlier.

In a word, Ice. Where's the ice?

Shouldn't Valdivostok and other Northern ports be frozen in in the winter/early spring months?

Or, at least, a large speed penalty for sailing through the 'frozen' zones-I know that historically, the status of the Ice was a large operational factor in the early going..After all, an all-year port was one of the big perks of Port Arthur.
A good graphic would be ice on the ships!

cheers
David

grumbler

Reaction score
Country
ll
Dogbert said:
I wonder if the AI bases its decision only on spotted ships or if it knows your fleet composition... it would make a lot of sense if you could post a "bait" force of fast cruisers up ahead to lure them into a trap
Would be nice but you can't lure anyone into a trap in this game [islands excluded] because of the lack of FOW and the ridiculous over the horizon ID. I could see your trap 22 miles away!!

cheers
David

BlackVoid

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
- Add local weather report to all friendly bases instead of the generic weather.
- Add a hotkey that deselects all TFs and ships - 'X' would be a good choice
- Revise disengagement rules / distances
- Add fog of war to tactical battles, you always get full info even at 20 km range

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enhanced Torp Controls

OK, so we can't now and probably never will be able to order ships to fire torps on command. However, IMHO there are still some things that would improve torps and still be within the "player as admiral" concept of DG.

1. Add controls for torp fire discipline analogous to those for guns:
  • Torpedo Cease Fire: ship will not fire torps at all.
  • Torpedo Single Shot: ship will fire 1 and only 1 torp from 1 and only 1 tube. As soon as the fish hits the water, the ship automatically goes to Torpedo Cease Fire status.
  • Torpedo Fire at Will: ship goes to the current status of firing all torps that bear at every opportunity.
None of these commands would have any effect on gun firing status, and vice versa.

New Division-Level Command: Torpedo Attack
Historically, admirals could order their torpedo units to make torp attacks on the enemy. They didn't specify the target, just the general group of enemy ships. The details of the path to take and the specific ships to attack was left to the torpedocraft. The admiral could also issue a recall order.

I'd like to be able to do the same. Just click on the leader of a DD/TB/PC division and get a "Torpedo Attack" button. Click that with the cursor over one of the enemy ships in the group I want them to attack, and the torpedocraft head that way and attempt to launch their torpedos to best effect, without further input from me. The ships would be under AI control for the duration, and until they'd all died or launched, the only command I'd be able to give them is the "Recall" order, which tells them to try to reform on the fleet flagship's division. Once back there, they revert to my control.