The unofficial Distant Guns 'wish list'

Ironhand

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A sheet of flame when a magazine explodes. Something like the waterspout of a miss.

An after action course track. Something along the lines of Il2 that you can see after a mission.

Atago

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An end battle button in campaign battles that tells your fleet to run away. I hate having to set and wait for a fleeing ship to break contact - sometimes taking a long time in realtime. I can't hit the end battle button as is, because the AI will often make my ships do something I don't want. I want a button that tells them to run away, or stay on course or something to that effect.

Damabiah

Powder Monkey
Reaction score
Country
ll
Not that weird - I second the idea of using my AV's to launch real seaplane raids on the Zeppelin sheds or to allow Zeppelins port bombardment roles to affect home morale.

Oh and a way of accessing the tactical information screen from task force organisation would be nice ( to check on the last overhaul dates )

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The aerial attacks on zeppelin bases would be a nice touch indeed, especially if you include German and British float planes . With them, the whole range of the first air war over the North Sea could be included in the campaign. But this might be a little much right now... ;)

Damabiah

Powder Monkey
Reaction score
Country
ll
True VderT - but an extra strategic mission button of "Launch Seaplane Raid" for AV equipped TF's may not be too much to add ( I'm not a programmer so shoot me down if i'm wrong ).

Looking at the actual war both Navies took a predominantly defensive stance and it strikes me that Seaplane raids were one of the main reasons for RN offensive action. Plus it would give us a reason for including the AV's in our TaskForces as currently they're too slow to warrant taking along.

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
After yesterdays game, I am longing for a better designation system which ships belong to me, especially on the mini map. HPS had a rather nice highlighting system, allowing the player to include or exclude information at the touch of a button.

While we're at it: the reports shown in the upper left corner of the screen are WAY too much when the action heats up. I don't need to hear about every grenade fired or every hit when I am trying to lead my forces, there should be an opportunity to filter things out. I want to read about what is important, and not about every cup of coffee spilt in the officers mess. Informations like "incoming torp" or "critical system damaged", or even "enemy vessel severely damaged". We are commanders, not engineers ore artillerists...

Last edited:

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Something that occurred to me a few days ago, nothing major and just a bit of additional eye candy: Bugzier for German ships, don't know whether the Royal Navy had something comparable. Many German ships of cruiser size and above had a coat of arms painted on their bow somewhere, older ships had much more intricate bow decorations - part of it is already reflected on some ship types, like the Bremen class CL or Deutschland class pre-dreadnoughts.

PepsiCan

Reaction score
Country
ll
When war broke out, all wood and decorative items were removed from the ships as much as possible. This prevented fires and splinters. You can also see this in the photos that TBR has posted. Ships have turned to a dull grey without much decoration.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the German capital ships kept their coats of arms at the bow--I seem to recall reading that at Jutland, they were using the parallel dophins on Seydlitz's bow as a way to judge how far down by the head she was :). "Oh crap, the middle dolphin is now on the waterline!"

We wanted to have the coats of arms, but didn't have enough texture space for them, unfortunately.

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Kewl... shows you did a good research job. If you ever think of a little expansion, this would be a nice touch.

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I just caught myself thinking about a way of making battle scenarios more interesting. As we all know, a scenario comes to an end if any force does not see an enemy for a certain time - but I think that on some occasions it may be fun to have to go looking for him for a bit, instead of just getting the "Nobody home" sign. So maybe a type of temporal limit could be set in which an enemy should show up over the horizon in some cases, preferably non-campaign battle games? That way, you get a bit more realism and can develop your forces for the impending battle, instead of just going into the fray from the start. I am aware that this is not very practical in many multiplayer games, but it could be useful on special occasions.

Which brings me to Nr. 2: short, operational campaigns that take maybe a few days. This kind of thing could be interesting for a multiplayer environment as well. I know this one has come up a few times already, but it is just so attractive...

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So maybe a type of temporal limit could be set in which an enemy should show up over the horizon in some cases, preferably non-campaign battle games?
You can put pairs of harmless opposing ships next to each other near all edges of the map, so ships on each side are always in contact. Then the main forces can grope for each other in the middle. But this really works best in MP because the AI will always move its ships.

Which brings me to Nr. 2: short, operational campaigns that take maybe a few days. This kind of thing could be interesting for a multiplayer environment as well. I know this one has come up a few times already, but it is just so attractive...
Something to think about at least.

Dilvish

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My wishes

:yummy: New ships model, for example : Ships already sunk before Jutland (Scharnhorst, Good hope, Blucher...) to create new battles (Coronel, Falkland etc.)

:yummy::yummy: A data disk with the French, Italian, Austrian and Turkish navy to create battles in the Mediterranean sea.

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
When I think about it, I only wish for one more model: Derfflinger class with the post-Jutland tripod mast. Somehow looks a lot better...

Double Whisky

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
My wishes

:yummy: New ships model, for example : Ships already sunk before Jutland (Scharnhorst, Good hope, Blucher...) to create new battles (Coronel, Falkland etc.)

:yummy::yummy: A data disk with the French, Italian, Austrian and Turkish navy to create battles in the Mediterranean sea.
Second both :D

SMS Biene

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Especially in smaller scenarios I like to use a permanent single ship bridge view from time to time (by using the F button after having tuned the correct position). However, as to this I'm not very happy with the binocular view since its zoom (is there any zoom at all?) is a bit disappointing. Now, it would be nice to have - in addition or even instead of the quite useless F5 binocular view - a gunnery directors view (like e.g. in good old GNBNA or DC). Not necessarily with all those GNBNA gunnery options of course. Just the view with a significant, perhaps variable zoom (2x, 4x, 6x, 8x) would be a good start and contribute a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

Regards
SMS Biene

Von der Tann

Schlachtkreuzer
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Second that - even without special controls, pre-defined viewpoints for every ship (like bridge, rangefinder, mast) would be fine.