Votes: 5 27.8%
  • NO

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

daemonofdecay

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That reminds me of that scene when the Jap base is overun and the one Japanese soldier (medic) is clutching a wounded comrade/patient to his chest while either a) crying as the shooting was happening or b) holding out a knife to hold back the americans in a sad and pathetic attempt (damn my bad memory damn it to heck!)

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am always a little concerned when an actor not known for his "dramatic" style is picked. I will watch it, I just hope he does a good job. Not to change the subject but I saw "The Lost Battalion" with Rick Scroder (sp) and that was a decent film by A&E. I hope Ike follows suit!

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I interviewed Tom Selleck for Armchair General while he was on set for this movie. The interview will be printed in issue 3... available June 1. Based on my conversation with him they are doing a really good job. Tom is a real history buff and he is taking this role very seriously. I say give him the benefit of the doubt and support A&E's decision to spend some serious $ making this movie by watching it, and if it's good buy the video or DVD. We need to reward companies who take a gamble on making good quality Military History programming.
:thumb:

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Keef
I interviewed Tom Selleck for Armchair General while he was on set for this movie. The interview will be printed in issue 3... available June 1. Based on my conversation with him they are doing a really good job. Tom is a real history buff and he is taking this role very seriously. I say give him the benefit of the doubt and support A&E's decision to spend some serious $ making this movie by watching it, and if it's good buy the video or DVD. We need to reward companies who take a gamble on making good quality Military History programming.
Absolutely right!

Gert

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best WW2 movie

A Bridge to far would have to be the best of them. It clearly shows that soldiers will make the best of what they have available. The Private knows his CIC is nuts but hey, orders are orders and the best way out is by beating the other side asap, and sometimes you loose. Tomorrow however is another story and getting there is what is important today.

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Keef
I can't wait to see it because many actors (that are women magnets) have made the adjustment to war movies. Robert Redford played a good role in a "Bridge to Far" and others such as Clint Eastwood, Brad Pitt (Legends of the Fall) made the adjustment.

The only movie I ever seen Tom Selleck play a military person was with Sam Elliot (excellent John Buford - Gettysburg) in a movie called "The Shadow Riders". It was about two brothers returning from the Civil War reuniting to bring back their female siblings from outlaws. It's a good picture with Ben Johnson (one of the last original movie cowboys).

But remember, women still think of Tom Selleck as the tough, handsome detective from "Magnum P.I." , so I hope he has success in the war industry. I could see him playing in future civil war movies maybe he should have played "Jeb Stuart" or another Cavalry figure from the U.S. Civil War (take a note Ted Turner :terms:

Yes, I can't wait to see the film.:horse: :bowdown: :thumb:

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh Yes, I consider A & E one of the best cable networks in producing historical projects. With the history channel, they make our lives as historical buffs very interesting.:bowdown: :toast: :thumb:

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Need assistance in finding "Fallschirmjager movie"

I always see a short documentary film showing fallshirmjager (German paras) in a hanger prior to boarding JU-57s. It looks like a recruiting comercial but can anyone give me the name of this movie or clip. I am very interesting in obtaining it. :thumb:

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by FelixAlicea
Oh Yes, I consider A & E one of the best cable networks in producing historical projects. With the history channel, they make our lives as historical buffs very interesting.:bowdown: :toast: :thumb:
Right on! By the way A&E distributed several hundred VHS copies of the movie in advance of it's release to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. The troops have a system called "Theater in a Box" that lets them watch movies in the field. A&E are good eggs in my book! :toast:

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keep up the good work on the staff and let us know if any celebrities are on the Forum. It would be great to send a message to those who portray war heroes in movies.:banana: :bowdown: :toast: :horse:

Reaction score
I can't wait to see it because many actors (that are women magnets) have made the adjustment to war movies. Robert Redford played a good role in a "Bridge to Far" and others such as Clint Eastwood, Brad Pitt (Legends of the Fall) made the adjustment.

The only movie I ever seen Tom Selleck play a military person was with Sam Elliot (excellent John Buford - Gettysburg) in a movie called "The Shadow Riders". It was about two brothers returning from the Civil War reuniting to bring back their female siblings from outlaws. It's a good picture with Ben Johnson (one of the last original movie cowboys).

But remember, women still think of Tom Selleck as the tough, handsome detective from "Magnum P.I." , so I hope he has success in the war industry. I could see him playing in future civil war movies maybe he should have played "Jeb Stuart" or another Cavalry figure from the U.S. Civil War (take a note Ted Turner :terms:

Yes, I can't wait to see the film.:horse: :bowdown: :thumb:
Selleck has done quite a few westerns and in my mind has done a pretty good job. He is an avid history buff and staunch NRA supporter. He seems to knowingly handle weapons ("Quigley Downunder" with a .45-100 Sharps is a personal favorite). So lets wait and see how he does as Ike.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I wish that the Canadien government and American Government could come up with the same kind of force in today's military. They would become elite as the 1st in WWII.

It's sort of like that now.

Canadian and American troops worked very well together in Op Anaconda. Canadian snipers assisted an American unit that was pinned down by Taliban/Al Quaeda fighters(this action resulted in the longest recorded kill on record by a sniper at 2540 metres IIRC). 5 Canadian soldiers were offered the Bronze Star as a result of the action.

Canada and the US have a long history of working together in the military sphere. Canadian units regularly conduct exercises with our American counterparts and the Canadian military is one of the few countries in the world which can conduct operations with the US in a "seamless" fashion. This will only be enhanced by the completion of the CF-18 avionics upgrade in 2006.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Tigersqn
It's sort of like that now.

Canadian and American troops worked very well together in Op Anaconda. Canadian snipers assisted an American unit that was pinned down by Taliban/Al Quaeda fighters(this action resulted in the longest recorded kill on record by a sniper at 2540 metres IIRC). 5 Canadian soldiers were offered the Bronze Star as a result of the action.

Canada and the US have a long history of working together in the military sphere. Canadian units regularly conduct exercises with our American counterparts and the Canadian military is one of the few countries in the world which can conduct operations with the US in a "seamless" fashion. This will only be enhanced by the completion of the CF-18 avionics upgrade in 2006.
Tiger, will they be awarded the Bronze Star?

Tiger1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been thinking of your question for a couple of days now, but I cann't place the film you ask about. Where do you keep seeing this film? Is it a film or a clip? Do you live in the states? Maybe thats why I've never seen it. If you could give us a little more information maybe something would click.

Brad Ritter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad I passed thru this thread, I had forgotten about the movie coming out this month.

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Tiger1
I've been thinking of your question for a couple of days now, but I cann't place the film you ask about. Where do you keep seeing this film? Is it a film or a clip? Do you live in the states? Maybe thats why I've never seen it. If you could give us a little more information maybe something would click.
I seen bits and pieces from it by watching the discovery channel segment in wings (JU-57) and World War Two on DVD which shows the formation of fallshirmjagers in formation prior to boarding. Thanks.:bowdown:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I seen bits and pieces from it by watching the discovery channel segment in wings (JU-57) and World War Two on DVD which shows the formation of fallshirmjagers in formation prior to boarding. Thanks.:bowdown:
Best I can tell you is that it is (maybe) a propaganda film about Max Schmelling (sp?) the heavyweight boxer. I too would like to see the film.

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse: