• YES

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • NO

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Way too much introspection.

The movie was too filled with characters talking to themselves. Also, it seemed more about the ravages of war to nature than about man trying to survive in a stinking disease infested jungle that happened to have strategic import because of an already built airfield. Thus seems to be the way of Terence Malick's direction - the movie about migrant farmworkers in the 1930s or 1940s was much the same - a lot of needless silliloquy.

BTW, what's with "the Pacific Theater, yawn"? The Pacific Theater suffers only because it has not had the attention paid to it that it deserves. There are many worthy events from the Solomons through Okinawa which never received the attention commensurate with its legacy to history.

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Band of Brother II?

I created a new thread on Band of Brothers II. I think I wandered off the topic of Stalingrad the movie.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scene remembered in thin red line

I remember a scene where one of the GIs reaches for his grenade and blows his rear end off, eventually he dies but I found that really was a diffucult scene to watch.

"Notice that the pineapple grenades are yellow instead of the later dark green ones."

I found out that the grenades were orginally yellow and then later the army found out that the yellow grenades made a convient sniper target. So they were painted green. If you look carefully though you can always see a thin strip of yellow near the top of the grenade they left it this way.

Pretty Cool huh!!:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks
:toast:

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Movie "IKE: Countdown to D-Day

A&E will be releasing a movie on Memorial Day, May 31, 2004 (8pm Eastern) called "IKE: Countdown to Day". Tom Selleck will play Eisenhower. I can't wait to see it. Selleck playing Eisenhower. He shaved his moustache and head for this role. I think they should have made a movie on the operations leading up to Normandy instead of this movie. What are your opinions?

Eisenhower was a good commander but I think he would have suggest that Selleck did not play this role.

I hope his acting is better than Martin Sheen playing "General Lee" in Gettysburg. (Bad Acting).:spill: :( :laugh:

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by panzerboy
Anyone ever seen The Devil's brigade, i've heard its a good movie!:toast:

Thanks
:thumb:
It a good movie based on the 1st Special Service Force under the late BG William Frederick. I wish that the Canadien government and American Government could come up with the same kind of force in today's military. They would become elite as the 1st in WWII.

The bar scene and capturing the town are the best parts of the movie.;)

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ike movie good idea!!

It's about time they made a movie about Eisenhower. After all he was only a five star general!!!:laugh:

Thanks

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I recorded that movie on Expressvu last week and have just started to watch it. One thing though, when the Frenchy swears near the beginning in the barracks: "Bande de putain" well he is supposed to portrait a french canadian soldier from the R 22 R. All of this to say that here in Quebec, we don't use that swear. France uses that term not us. So there's one against the movie in my opinion.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really as a war movie it was okay. But I'm surprised that no one noticed that almost every type of Psychological Disease that one encounters in warfare is represented as well as most of the symptoms for them. One of my Scholastic Bowl Coaches also taught Global Studies and Psychology and she talked about that movie representing a bunch of disorders quite accurately.

Uberdave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Other than one US sergeant's psychotic break (which would eventually progress into PTSD later in life), I didnt see much in the film re: psychological disorders.

The broken morale of the defeated Japanese soldiers was depicted quite well, however.

daemonofdecay

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The most striking scene to me was later in the film when the soldier was sourounded by the Japanese infantry, and after a few seconds still tries to fire his rifle. Very touching, imo.

I liked it, but it did seem a bit too slow and emotionaly oriented. But then, look at Apocalypse Now. To me, both films are along the same lines.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
The action scenes were good/excellent. Esp. in the long grass. Just how much fear would be pumping through those men up on point.

The Japs could be soon as human too, not all fanatical fighters but men who broke as well.

The Colonel who keeps on pressing his men up the hill was a ringer for my old boss from San Diego! Talked like him, looked like him, acted like him! :crazy:

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Ike movie good idea!!

Originally posted by panzerboy
It's about time they made a movie about Eisenhower. After all he was only a five star general!!!:laugh:

Thanks
It weird they picked Selleck to play Ike (Sorry Ladies, the man had to shave his moustache and head):laugh: :drool:

I hope the previews are good.:terms:

Brad Ritter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Windtalkers is what I would call a shoot em up, long on action and short on substance. I probably will only watch it again if it's a rainy day and I'm sick and it pops up on HBO or something.

triggerhappy

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi i'm new to forums but my favorite WWII movies are:

PATTON
Windtalkers
Saving Private Ryan
U-571
The Longest Day

How could you forget PATTON! It is the best war movie made!

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HBO sometimes

If its on HBO I'll watch it. The only times I watch it during times when I want to watch a movie about the Pacific war!!

I did like the weaponry ued though!!

Thanks!!

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by triggerhappy
Hi i'm new to forums but my favorite WWII movies are:

PATTON
Windtalkers
Saving Private Ryan
U-571
The Longest Day

How could you forget PATTON! It is the best war movie made!
Welcome to the forums. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. And remember; always check your six. You never know who might be gaining on you. :cool:

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse: