Country
ll
Re: Midway.

Originally posted by RStory
But I felt the same way about Titanic'; so what do I know? :cool:

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:

I feel the same way.....1500 people died on that ship and they created two who more or less cared about themselves instead of others.....like Mr. and Mrs. Isadore Strauss, who offered their seats on a lifeboat and remained on the ship. I may get flamed for this, but I must say it because of who I am......I hate romance in movies....especially historical/war films!

WW2Junky

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:banana: Well, watch Stanlingrad last few weeks ago, not very Stalingrad though but it showed a bunch of German truppens trying to survive the battle. Ok i should say for the show.. mmm still Band of Brothers is the best, i think .. more to come heard that Band of Brothers part 2 is coming isit true ?

WW2Junky

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
Has anyone seen "Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence"?

David Bowie, Tom Conti, Ryuichi Sakamoto, and others. Ryuichi Sakamoto also composed the music. "

Well, yape i have watch this movie on a DVD and i think this show is very touching as it protraits the POWs life and some humanity in different cultures.

It shows that not everyone is heartless in the war as it seems. Well, 7/10 rating for this classic show.:terms:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by WW2Junky
:banana: Well, watch Stanlingrad last few weeks ago, not very Stalingrad though but it showed a bunch of German truppens trying to survive the battle. Ok i should say for the show.. mmm still Band of Brothers is the best, i think .. more to come heard that Band of Brothers part 2 is coming isit true ?
There's supposed to be a follow-up series but following a Company in the Pacific War.

Dr. S.

WW2Junky

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
There's supposed to be a follow-up series but following a Company in the Pacific War.

Dr. S.

Thanks for the information .. yah i heard tat it occurs in the pacific war era .:p

WW2Junky

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Windtalkers .... is not as war movie as it seems.. as a signaller myself, this show did not attract me anyways .. hmm maybe it looks like more action action show.. hmmm but still 5/10 for the overall. :sleep:

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did anyone ever watch "The MacKenzie Break". It is a good movie about German P.O.W.s escaping from a British camp in WWII. :thumb:

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Re: Midway.

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
I feel the same way.....1500 people died on that ship and they created two who more or less cared about themselves instead of others.....like Mr. and Mrs. Isadore Strauss, who offered their seats on a lifeboat and remained on the ship. I may get flamed for this, but I must say it because of who I am......I hate romance in movies....especially historical/war films!
You won't get flamed. I also hate romance in a good war movie.

Reaction score
Originally posted by panzerboy
Anyone ever seen The Devil's brigade, i've heard its a good movie!:toast:

Thanks
:thumb:
As good as it could be for a 1960's "fill-em-with stars-action-war-movie".

Richard Jaekel was fun as Pvt. Omar Greco, the acrobat.

Anyone know that his first role was in Guadalcanal Diary, Pvt. Johnny 'Chicken' Anderson. He was 16/17 when he played his part. Further, it apparently took longer to film the movie than it did to fight the battle.

other Richard Jaekel war movies of note:
Battleground (1949), Pvt. Bettis
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949), Pfc. Frank Flynn
Naked and the Dead, The (1958), Gallagher
Dirty Dozen, The (1967), Sgt. Clyde Bowren (head MP)

He was in over 70 films, about 20 to 25% war films, manyof them average to forgetable.

He also served in the navy from 1944 to 1948.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by FelixAlicea
Did anyone ever watch "The MacKenzie Break". It is a good movie about German P.O.W.s escaping from a British camp in WWII. :thumb:
Very good movie. I enjoyed Brian Keith as Captain Connor. Despite some nits I have about the film it still rates a solid 6.5 out 10 stars.

Cheers!

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by panzerboy
Anyone ever seen The Devil's brigade, i've heard its a good movie!:toast:

Thanks
:thumb:

It's good but like all 'take a real story' make a movie about them; it has flaws. Still it is an enjoyable beer and pretzels type movie. It's worth 5 out of 10 stars.

Cheers!

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Midway.

Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
:thumb: I don't mind romance in movies if it really happened. I watch war movies for a reason. I prefer honest history rather than fake and contrived history any day.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Originally posted by RStory
Wow; thanks for bringing him to my attention. Here is the IMDB for him,

Uhfortunately; he also appeared in Twilight's Last Gleaming which is a very unforgettable movie no matter how hard I try. :p

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001395/

Cheers!

I know of "Twilight's..." but never saw it. I always liked him, even as a bad guy.

Minotaur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stalingrad

Stalingrad is worth watching, not for the fighting (SPOILER: although the cut-in-half guy was something for the time...)
but for what happen behind the scene of this battle, for the German side.

Enemy at the Gates do the same for the Russian side... With more fighting and special effects.

As for the best war movie made by germans, IMHO it's Das Boot that wins...

Uberdave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From what Ive heard Band of Brothers II will be centered on guys from the 1st Marine Division in the Pacific theater.

Dont know too many details as it is still in production, but supposedly Hanks and Spielburg are once again producing...

@ Minotaur
yes, that scene with the guys taking on T34s with grenades and mines is very well done.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Re: Stalingrad

Originally posted by Minotaur
Stalingrad is worth watching, not for the fighting (SPOILER: although the cut-in-half guy was something for the time...)
but for what happen behind the scene of this battle, for the German side.

As for the best war movie made by germans, IMHO it's Das Boot that wins...
I enjoyed Stalingrad, but its not one I'll watch over and over. It is similar to Das Herz der 6. Armee (not available in English, so far as I know), a book written by a survivor of Stalingrad, which I read years ago. The part I had a hard time with was the stockpile maintained by the captain -- not enough rank for a horde that size.

I also agree that Das Boot gets the prize as the best WW2 movie made by Germans.

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hard to Watch

I found this film hard to watch. I really remember this film being an unsatisfying experience. My sister on the other hand loved this film.

I can watch films that speak to the futility of war. Hamburger Hill is one of my favorite movies. I just didn't like The Thin Red Line.