Votes: 5 27.8%
  • NO

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Battle of the Bulge..... it just amazes me that they make movies and don;t even take the time to use replicas of the real tanks. A Tiger is a Tiger, a Panther a Panther.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by dannybou
Battle of the Bulge..... it just amazes me that they make movies and don;t even take the time to use replicas of the real tanks. A Tiger is a Tiger, a Panther a Panther.
It's a matter of cost. Back then; NOBODY had replica tigers and it was cheaper and easier to rent from the Spanish, etc.

Even in Patton, they used Spanish M-41s for Shermans.

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Marines
Actuallly its worth buying...it is one of the best war movies showing the German side of the war in Russia out there. I highly recommend it.

FYI it was taken form actual Wehrmacht and Waffen SS accounts and thier experiances during the battle of Stalingrad.

Semper Fi
I've never even heard of it, when was it released? Anyone notable in it? I will definitely be looking for it.

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At least Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks placed artificial sides on some tracks to make them look like a Tiger I. See Saving Private Ryan. They were the only ones to come close.:crazy:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by FelixAlicea
At least Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks placed artificial sides on some tracks to make them look like a Tiger I. See Saving Private Ryan. They were the only ones to come close.:crazy:
I agree. There are some nice Tiger replicas now.

Cheers!

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by RStory
I still like Battle of the Bulge mainly for seeing M-24 Chafees fighting M-47 Pattons. :cool: Two relatively rare tanks to see in pictures.

Cheers!

yeah! and in a couple of scenes it looks like all the tanks are driving around in some desert....it's all dusty and there are no trees and no snow......

stupid hollywood!:crazy:

Reaction score
Originally posted by dannybou
Keep in mind when movies like these were made, the military of the host countries often supplied the equipment and troops to round out the opposing forces. So, a coat of paint would suffice to show who's side the tanks belonged to. Further, for Battle of the Bulge the shear numbers of tanks needed would have been too costly to create reproductions, or find originals. As far as originals went, most German armor had been sent to the scrap yard to be melted won, "swords into plowshares".

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by Fenrir
yeah! and in a couple of scenes it looks like all the tanks are driving around in some desert....it's all dusty and there are no trees and no snow......

Yeah, but it did look dramatic.

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
Yeah, but it did look dramatic.
when i was 10 it looked dramatic. as an adult i cant stand that kind of crap....

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

when i was 10 it looked dramatic. as an adult i cant stand that kind of crap....
No argument here.

As a student of history, I try to take everything in context.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

You noticed that too huh? :) I guess the wide sweeping plains of Belgium are a hidden marvel of the natural world. :laugh:

Cheers!

Reaction score
Originally posted by FelixAlicea
You really have to hand it to Speilberg and Hanks for attempting to realistic looking armor in SPR and BoB. In an episode of BoB the other night in one battle scene these armored vehicles were depicted with high degrees of accuracy.

Tiger I
Jadgpanther
Stug III
Marder II
Sherman
Cromwell

These gentlemen have elevated the standard so that for many of us older war movies just don't seem very real.

Andrey

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Look Soviet "Idi i smotri" ("Go and look"). You will be shocked. It is about partisans and effect of movie is so strong like from "Shindlers list".

I saw it in www.amazon.com

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone seen the pianist. It is about a pianit (plays Piano) who is a Jewish musician during WWII. I won't give the rest of the story away.

CAUTION: this film contains very graphic violence, much more so than Schlinders list!!

Still It is a very good movie!:thumb:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Lance Williams
You really have to hand it to Speilberg and Hanks for attempting to realistic looking armor in SPR and BoB. In an episode of BoB the other night in one battle scene these armored vehicles were depicted with high degrees of accuracy.

Tiger I
Jadgpanther
Stug III
Marder II
Sherman
Cromwell

These gentlemen have elevated the standard so that for many of us older war movies just don't seem very real.
Picture of a genuine Tiger (as taken from my Bovington article for ACG):

Picture of an SPR replica (as taken from the article on Duxford Land Warfare Hall by Roach and myself):

The detail on the replica is excellent,, it's ONLY when you've stood next to both that you really appreciate the size difference.

Dr. S.

Roach

Reaction score
Slightly less secret Top Secret bunker next to the
Country
ll
I always thought Kellys Heroes was the dogs, partly because of the fact that they had gone to the trouble of mocking up the Tigers, and partly because the main characters worked so well.

But, all time favourite film is Battleground (I believe there is a DVD release in the pipeline), although a lot of films from that era work for me. It's a language thing.

SPR I can no longer watch - it's just too much of a missed opportunity, in my insignificant opinion.

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best WW II Movie

I can watch Kelly's Heros over and over again. What an absolutely great movie. The German Stalingrad movie is really good. I like a Bridge to Far, the Longest Day, and Saving Private Ryan.

There was a movie I always loved called Sahara with Humphrey Bogart. I think they may have had an actual Grant in that movie. I also liked the movie Dam Busters which might have been a British film. I don't think anyone mentioned The Guns of Navarone or Force 10 From Navarone. I'm also a big fan of Where Eagles Dare. On the Navy side of the house, I like In Harm's Way, The Enemy Below, and Sink the Bismark.

To go along with Band of Brothers in the TV series category, I think Danger UXB was a great TV series. I also watched Rat Patrol on a regular basis.

I think the Best WWII movie would have to go to Cross of Iron. I thought this was a very accurate account of war on the Eastern Front and what should happen to all glory seekers.