Votes: 5 27.8%
  • NO

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that Cross of Iron best show the German side in Russia. I own it and have watched it several times!!

Cheers
:toast: :toast:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
panzerboy,if you liked the movie "cross of iron"try reading the book.i read it when it first came out,years before the movie. it is one of the best war stories that ive read.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I didn't like The Thin Red Line.

Originally posted by HiredGoon
"Saving Private Ryan" goes to crap after the D-Day part, I have to turn it off when the rangers are stupidly casually strolling across open ground in enemy territory blabing like a bunch of school girls. The screenplay for that film is crap. The better WWII film of '98 was "The Thin Red Line", very artistic and philosophical. Plus it had better actors.

Although technically a "mini-series" I still consider "Band of Brothers" a movie, just 10 hours long. IMO it's the best WWII movie.
I think it was overly verbose, way too many silliloquys for grunts preoccupied trying to survive Guadalcanal. Good actors were wasted with bit parts. Terence Malick could probably have saved himself a lot of money cutting the scenes with Travolta and George Clooney. In fact, Travolta only really promised Malick he'd do the movie because he had to beg out of his role in a movie made way back in 1978. Eventually Richard Gere got Travolta's role in that other movie about migrant farm workers who kill their boss (Sam Shepard as I recall). You could see how little Travolta seemed to care about his role as a brigadier general.

I will grant you that the Rangers did some dumb things in SPR as you mentioned. The talking part (while not kosher) I'm willing to overlook because Spielberg was trying to introduce and develop his characters. I also like the way that Hanks set up the defense of the fictional town of Ramelles. And Spielberg, to his credit, did not have the Germans do the stock German thing - fall for Hanks' ruse. After a few minutes of going straight towards the defense, they started to work the flanks.

Alan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SPR & BoB are the best

SPR & BoB (which is now being shown on The History Channel) are by far the best. Of the the two, Band of Brothers is better although I guess really it is a mini-series. Thin Red Line sucked - worst movie I've ever seen.

Of those listed in the poll, however, A Bridge too Far is best.

tetsuko47

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is a pretty good movie too. It gets a little weird - and of course the effects are not what college kids expect (thanks Saving Private Ryan...) - so I tend towards Stalingrad.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Favorites

Here are a couple of my favorites.

Kelly's Heroes -- good music and Don Rickles really made the movie :banana:

Anzio -- Robery Mitchum does a good part of a reporter thrown into combat when he sees his friends being killed.

To Hell And Back -- Audie Murphy being Audie Murphy; although they could have done without the "love interest"

Midway -- Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda 'nough said

Hell Is For Heroes -- Steve McQueen -- kick's butt

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One thing that's bothered me about war movies.

There are too many people in them. When you are watching authentic combat films even of D-Day it seems like there aren't a lot of people around. Which gives with the veterans indicating that combat seems very lonely.

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Re: One thing that's bothered me about war movies.

Originally posted by RStory
There are too many people in them. When you are watching authentic combat films even of D-Day it seems like there aren't a lot of people around. Which gives with the veterans indicating that combat seems very lonely.

Cheers!

I don't know. I think that "Battleground" and BOB do a nice job of showing how sparsely manned the front lines were at Bastogne. The same is true of "Hell is for Heroes" and "When Trumpets Fade" when depicting foxhole and slit trench scenes near the Siegfried Line.

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Larkin
Has anybody considered "To Hell and Back"?
All right, somebody has. I guess that's what I get for posting before reading all the posts.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TO HELL AND BACK was a great movie but I didn't like the German Uniforms! The stalhelms looked like vintage WW1 helmets!!
One more thing the 'German Tanks' they looked more like modern tanks!
Other than that a really good movie!!

:banana: :banana:

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by panzerboy
TO HELL AND BACK was a great movie but I didn't like the German Uniforms! The stalhelms looked like vintage WW1 helmets!!
One more thing the 'German Tanks' they looked more like modern tanks!
Other than that a really good movie!!

:banana: :banana:
....gave the Germans M48 Patton tanks with the American tankers using Shermans or what appeared to be Sheridans in some instances. Kelly's Heroes was one of the few that looked like a real Tiger was there.

Reaction score
Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
....gave the Germans M48 Patton tanks with the American tankers using Shermans or what appeared to be Sheridans in some instances. Kelly's Heroes was one of the few that looked like a real Tiger was there.
Any one know if the Tiger in "Kelly's Heroes" was a real one or just a replica?

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by Lance Williams
Any one know if the Tiger in "Kelly's Heroes" was a real one or just a replica?
It was definetely a replica. The turret was real good, but the chasis needed a lot more work. What I find was interesting in A Bridge Too Far a Leopard 1 was used. It can be considered a direct descendent of the Panther/Tigers. :)

Cheers!

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Most movies of the 50s and 60s

Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
....gave the Germans M48 Patton tanks with the American tankers using Shermans or what appeared to be Sheridans in some instances.
I still like Battle of the Bulge mainly for seeing M-24 Chafees fighting M-47 Pattons. :cool: Two relatively rare tanks to see in pictures.

Cheers!