Votes: 5 27.8%
  • NO

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On another note, im looking to rent/buy the movie 'Stalingrad', does anyone have a personal review? I'm pretty sure it's directed by Wolfgang Peterson (or the Guy that directed Das-Boot if I didn't get the name right) and I liked Das-Boot. So, thoughts? [/B]
I own the movie, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. Yes, it shows the grim realities of the battle, but only through tiny microbattles, and not the all-out room to room fighting you would expect. There are some very good scenes about the living conditions, sanitary conditions etc, which make it a worthwhile movie to see at least once.

It focuses more on the desperation of the German army and the breakdown that occurred at the very end. The end is about what you would expect - and certainly not a Hollywood-ized movie. :)

I give it 2.5 stars out of 5. A couple good fight sequences interspersed with some boring parts. And of course a grim, hard movie to watch. Not something I often grab from my movie bin.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Brian King
I own the movie, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be. Yes, it shows the grim realities of the battle, but only through tiny microbattles, and not the all-out room to room fighting you would expect. There are some very good scenes about the living conditions, sanitary conditions etc, which make it a worthwhile movie to see at least once.

It focuses more on the desperation of the German army and the breakdown that occurred at the very end. The end is about what you would expect - and certainly not a Hollywood-ized movie. :)

I give it 2.5 stars out of 5. A couple good fight sequences interspersed with some boring parts. And of course a grim, hard movie to watch. Not something I often grab from my movie bin.
I totally agree with you. Some realistic battle scenes however very poor on the rest and as you said quite a few boring and long parts. Nicholas Cage shouldn't be allowed to act in war movies.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No More cage war movies

Cage needs to just stay away from the Frontlines. He didn't fit the role of a US Marine. Hey Nick stay with your own type of filming , War films aren't it!!!!
:drool: :nonono: :nonono:

tetsuko47

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by daemonofdecay
At least in movies like Saving Private Ryan the action sequences had a feeling of realism to them (more so in Band of Brothers, but then again BoB was real and saving Private Ryan was fictional) but the fight scenes in Windtalkers were just pathetic and didn't seem like the video was used correctly. Also to much H2H :rolleyes:

I like older movies (A Bridge to Far, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Great Escape, The Longest Day, Patton, etc. etc.) but the one thing that makes me angry is how they all used American M-60 or Bulldog etc tanks in the movies. Very few had the Real German tanks, just american tanks painted grey with crosses on the side.

On another note, im looking to rent/buy the movie 'Stalingrad', does anyone have a personal review? I'm pretty sure it's directed by Wolfgang Peterson (or the Guy that directed Das-Boot if I didn't get the name right) and I liked Das-Boot. So, thoughts?
I thought that while Stalingrad was not the greatest war movie ever - it certainly was better than Enemy at the Gates. The grim reality of this movie, the theme of comradery, and the hopelessness lend credibility in a way that other Eastern Front movies have not (certainly true for the Soviet films like The Crane and Ballad of a Soldier). I use this one in my upper division World War Two course at Univ of Kansas.

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite is Cross of Iron. The movie stars James Colburn as Corporal (later sergeant) Steiner who is a veteran of the Russian Front. Along with his men, they seemed to be a combative force. Their weakness is their Captain, Otto Stransky, who only wants to win a iron cross at no cost. Steiner's role displays how enlisted soldiers feel about incompetant officers such as Stranksy (played by maximilian Schnell) and Steiner's battalion officer is played by James Mason (played Rommel in the desert fox and rats).

Also, I like the "Young Lions" with Marlon Brando.:thumb: :toast:

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by FelixAlicea
My favorite is Cross of Iron. The movie stars James Colburn as Corporal (later sergeant) Steiner who is a veteran of the Russian Front. Along with his men, they seemed to be a combative force. Their weakness is their Captain, Otto Stransky, who only wants to win a iron cross at no cost. Steiner's role displays how enlisted soldiers feel about incompetant officers such as Stranksy (played by maximilian Schnell) and Steiner's battalion officer is played by James Mason (played Rommel in the desert fox and rats).

Also, I like the "Young Lions" with Marlon Brando.:thumb: :toast:
Thats one of my favorites also. I own it on VHS. Someday I plAN ON OWING IT ON dvd.
:toast: :toast:
My favorite character is Stiener!!

tetsuko47

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On a note more related to the string - the class I teach (WWII) has to do movie reviews and this movie (Windtalkers) was one of the most canned (right next to Pearl Harbor).

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by tetsuko47
On a note more related to the string - the class I teach (WWII) has to do movie reviews and this movie (Windtalkers) was one of the most canned (right next to Pearl Harbor).
Make them watch Tora! Tora! Tora! My only complaint with it was the the time dilation was made perfectly clear.

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by tetsuko47
I have heard of Winter War but I have not seen it - is it a good depiction?
*I* think it is a great movie. I highly recommend it for being a movie made by the Finns about their own story. Nice to see real Russian WWII era tanks too.

Cheers!

:horse:

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I believe there will be quite a bit of discussion on this topic (good one panzerboy) ;) so I stickyed it.

Other good war movies:

The Cross of Iron. Not too often do we get to see a movie depecting the german soldiers suffering on the eastern front. The ending sucks though!!

Battle of Britain.
Zulu
The Alamo (1960) which I just bought on DVD.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Movie: Windtalkers

Originally posted by panzerboy
Did you think the movie WINDTALKERSS was good? Was it historicaly accurate? were the Uniforms good the equipment?

:banana: :horse:
In relation to some other films it was good. I enjoyed it as entertainment, but as with all war movies, poetic license was taken. Overall I liked it. I would try to e-mail one of the actual code-talkers, or try to find a book by any of them.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never seen that one before

I don't think I've ever seen that movie before!!! Maybe I should go and rent it.

Thanks

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
how many liked hte weaponry used

How did you like the weapons used by the Marines and the Jappanese!!

:horse: :horse: :horse:

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I'm sorry my top two were not on your list

My top two were, theatrically "Saving Private Ryan" and all time as far as a World War II story of the men who fought has to be Band of Brothers.

Keep in mind that the first war movie that I saw that I was cognizant of was "The Longest Day". In its day, it was just as celebrated as SPR, maybe more so. The movie premiered in 11/1962 and was still at first run theaters in 6/1963. It was followed up with "Combat" and "The Gallant Men" on TV, and while "The Gallant Men" only lasted a season or two, "Combat" was on the air for six years.

But I believe that Spielberg and Hanks went a long way towards adding realism in war filmmaking. I hope that they do for the Pacific Theater what they did for the ETO.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't vote for any of the choices, because my favorite war movie is Patton. It is also my favorite movie of all time, by the way. Everyone should see it.