• Total voters

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: 50 WW II Movies To Think About, 5 To Avoid

Originally posted by rludan
Great list but where's "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison"? My other two favorites are on the list, thanks: "A Bridge Too Far" and "Memphis Belle."
Not to mention "Francis the Talking Mule" and that one where Cary Grant poses as a woman to come home from WW2.

JS

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: 50 WW II Movies To Think About, 5 To Avoid

Originally posted by Janos
Not to mention "Francis the Talking Mule" and that one where Cary Grant poses as a woman to come home from WW2.

JS
I was a Male War Bride is a hoot! I got that ordered on DVD. I hope it arrives soon.

Cheers!
:toast:

:armed:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Movie Midway

The thing I hated was the buying of film stock for other movies. Let's see... 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, Tora! Tora! Tora! and Away All Boats! had film stock bought.

The thing I liked was Henry Fonda as Chester Nimitz! Perfect casting in my not so humble opinion.

Cheers!
:toast:

:armed:

Reaction score

Originally posted by Janos

JS
"I Was a Male War Bride"

Reaction score

Great list but where's "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison"? My other two favorites are on the list, thanks: "A Bridge Too Far" and "Memphis Belle."

OOPS.....................

gus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Combat!

Originally posted by tadcar
I would rather sit through all the episodes of Combat! I'll take Vic Morrow over Nicholas Gage anytime!
Let's face it - even with battle gear and a Thompson spitting lead, Cage is just too sexy to be a front-line Joe, but as Carrelli, this was no shortcoming.
But how the hell did Cage and the radioman in disguise get behind the Jap lines during the battle?????

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WWII Films

Terrence Malick's remake of The Thin Red Line was a very disappointing film, as has been very correctly noted in this forum. Pacific vets were looking for a "Saving Private Ryan" set in their theater, but ended up with something that was closer, intellectually, to Apocalypse Now or something equally strange.

Yet, The Thin Red Line's portrayal of the battalion commander, played by Nick Nolte was the highlight of an otherwise muddled film. Nolte's battalion commander character was, in many ways, right on target, with any number of nuances brought to the role by an actor who, when he wants to and his head is clear, is capable of really making the audience forget he's 'acting' and has really 'taken ownership' of the character. After observing any number of real battalion commanders for three decades--in combat and peacetime--(and having been one for a couple of years), I think he nailed it. Of course, I'm not advocating that his character was a 'role model' for battalion commanders in combat, mostly the opposite, but I've certainly seen the type.

Point here being that even a 'bad' film can have its moments.

...and please don't ask my opinion of Sean Penn...

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, Dr. Sinister, certain words are not permitted in this forum and it would be impossible to adequately express my opinion under these restrictions.

...However, since you raised the issue...The current penchant for 'celebrities' (as in one who is well known, not necessarily someone of admirable character) to feel compelled to inflict their opinions on the public at large is, I think, abhorrent. The ability of an actor pretending to be someone else to do a really fine job of bringing that character to life for the audience does not, in my own opinion, qualify the 'pretender' to automatic entitlement to a public platform to trumpet their views in areas in which they hold no expertise justifying such a platform. This was taken to a ridiculous extreme some years back when actors Sissy Spacek, Jane Fonda, and (I believe) Jessica Lange were invited to testify before a televised Congressional committee investigating the plight of American farmers. Their special qualifications? They had all played farm wives in films....Of course the real reason they were there was simply because of their celebrity which the Congressional committee presumably hoped to capitalize on for publicity reasons.

...and please don't ask my opinion of Congress....

PvtJohnson

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

i thought enemy at the gates was a great movie, but i guess i was wrong.

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Originally posted by PvtJohnson
"Hold your ground, Pvt. Johnson", except for the love scenes, I thought movie wasn't too bad.
:)

michammer

Reaction score
Country
ll

Originally posted by PvtJohnson
I enjoyed the movie, apart from the love scenes (not really needed) and the end.

Here we have the greatest Russian sniper and the greatest German sniper, and at the end of the movie they are both out in the open where even I could shoot them!!

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another Fan of Enemy at the Gates

I have to weigh in on the side of those who liked 'Enemy at the Gates', but agree with the comments condemning the typical 'Hollywood' fixation on inflicting a gratuitous 'love interest' on us in just about every film. I suppose it 'humanized' the characters somewhat and established Danilov's motivation for almost denouncing Zaitsev near the end of the film (before suffering regrets and sacrificing himself in an attempt to locate the German sniper). Too bad the filmmakers couldn't see their way to giving us a little less 'love among the rubble' and perhaps a little more on sniper operations or any other aspect of this colossal battle that they had to leave out. Yet, the film was adapted from the novel "War of the Rats" which did feature the 'love interest' (and not adapted from William Craig's excellent history of the battle from which the film took its name).

The opening 'attack' scene is telling, too, since the Soviet archives now show us that, at Stalingrad, NKVD troops admit to shooting about 13,000 of their own soldiers--that's about the equivalent of an entire Russian division!

One thing about this film that is different from what we've seen of East Front movies, particularly during the 'bad old days' of the Cold War, was that we see Stalingrad mostly through Russian eyes instead of German ones. I think it's a point of view that 'western' audiences have been denied for too long. I was very fortunate in visiting Volgograd (all of you probably know its de-Stalinized name, I'm sure) and got to meet a dozen or so veterans of the battle. I also was given, unsolicited, a plastic bag full of artillery and aerial bomb fragments by an old man as I was walking down from Mamaev Hill. I offered to pay him for them, but he refused--he just wanted Americans to know what happened there...and remember.

Despite its flaws, I liked the film a lot (hey, Bob Hoskins as Khruschev? gotta love it!).

james hansen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:banana: not on the list,but I liked the "Bridge at Remagen" starring George Segal and Ben Gazzara. good action scenes blended with the actual history of what happened.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by james hansen
:banana: not on the list,but I liked the "Bridge at Remagen" starring George Segal and Ben Gazzara. good action scenes blended with the actual history of what happened.
Saw it last week. Effects were not that great and it seemed to me the tanks were not Shermans, but Pattons.

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Fighting Sullivans

Has anyone seen this movie? Supposedly it was a true movie about 4 or 5 brothers who were killed aboard a U.S. Navy destroyer. Because of this tragedy, the U.S. government did not allow a sibling to go into a combat zone if he/she had another sibling there already. Is this policy still in effect? I heard that many siblings are serving together in Iraq. Janos, do you know anything about this?

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: The Fighting Sullivans

Originally posted by tadcar
Has anyone seen this movie? Supposedly it was a true movie about 4 or 5 brothers who were killed aboard a U.S. Navy destroyer. Because of this tragedy, the U.S. government did not allow a sibling to go into a combat zone if he/she had another sibling there already. Is this policy still in effect? I heard that many siblings are serving together in Iraq. Janos, do you know anything about this?
It actually happened. One of the big reasons the rule about siblings was changed.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq72-1.htm