The troubling trend of two pages for one scenario…

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am fine with 2 (or more if needed) pages per scenario. From a practical perspective I prefer if the 2nd page is on the back of another scenario, simply so I don't have to turn the card over so I can leave my counters on the card at setup. The first time that I came across not having the 2 halves on the opposite sides of the same card, my OCD flared up, but practical considerations won out. My OCD nature is easily satisfied as when I scan the cards I can name the image files so they appear in their "natural" order (ASL 123 a.jpg, ASL 123 b.jpg, etc). Having your OCD cake and eating it too.

EDIT: amended in red to ease Justicar's twitches.
Not a twitch at all. Merely enforcing what Sister Matilda taught you long ago...and perhaps a clue as to why you have OCD....though it has served you well, very well indeed.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am fine with 2 (or more if needed) pages per scenario. From a practical perspective I prefer if the 2nd page is on the back of another scenario, simply so I don't have to turn the card over so I can leave my counters on the card at setup. The first time that I came across not having the 2 halves on the opposite sides of the same card, my OCD flared up, but practical considerations won out. My OCD nature is easily satisfied as when I scan the cards I can name the image files so they appear in their "natural" order (ASL 123 a.jpg, ASL 123 b.jpg, etc). Having your OCD cake and eating it too.

Errata to post: add comma before "too"

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The actual quote is "eating your cake and having it too"; Leave it to Shakespeare!. (One of the most often misquoted lines). [OCD just kicked in].

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The actual quote is "eating your cake and having it too"; Leave it to Shakespeare!. (One of the most often misquoted lines). [OCD just kicked in].
Duke of Norfolk used it in the open before the bard made it famous..."a man can not have his cake and eat his cake" ???

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not a twitch at all. Merely enforcing what Sister Matilda taught you long ago...and perhaps a clue as to why you have OCD....though it has served you well, very well indeed.
Only had Nuns for my Infants Class, Brothers for the next 5 years, Jesuits for the next 5 and finally secular in University College Dublin. Being an only child with a curious and rigorously logical nature, I suspect contributed more.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How about printing them using QR codes?

You probably need multiple per scenario, but I think they would take less space than the text.

JR

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only had Nuns for my Infants Class, Brothers for the next 5 years, Jesuits for the next 5 and finally secular in University College Dublin. Being an only child with a curious and rigorously logical nature, I suspect contributed more.
By "Sister" I meant the wider "group affinity"...

Curious minds whether rigorous or winding yields interesting beings....for which we as a kind are grateful.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
For me as a player, the multi-page scenario is the kiss of death. I usually will not even read them, let alone play them. Perhaps I'm missing out on some great scenario but I do not care.
When I see those multi-page scenarios, I always wonder why the editor did not do his job.
Hello!

As a player, I could care less if the scenario is on two pages and needs to be on two pages. To be honest, I never even considered it an issue in the least.

But as with everything in life People's Mileage Varies.

I truly do not understand the big deal.

Peace

Roger

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree that if a two (or more) sided scenario is needed (for whatever reason) that the scenario shouldn't be printed back to back on a sheet, so that the pages can be displayed simultaneously without having to flip back and forth.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
By "Sister" I meant the wider "group affinity"...

Curious minds whether rigorous or winding yields interesting beings....for which we as a kind are grateful.
Only child, both parents working (doctor, pharmacist) and for that time ('50s-60s) a large number of books in the house meant that I had limited times when I could ask about life, the universe, etc. I very regularly had to rely on my own efforts when curious. That in turn meant that I effectively was forced into a form of mental discipline to get the understandings that satisfied. Having both highly intelligent parents must have had some genetic boost as well.

Reading was encouraged and sort of backfired when after my parents gifted me a pair of Biggles books (hardback, not exactly cheap), I asked for the second after two or three hours. They thought those might last me a week or even two. ? I can't remember exactly but I think I was about 9 or 10 at the time.

That was an interesting question, thanks.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I do agree that if a two (or more) sided scenario is needed (for whatever reason) that the scenario shouldn't be printed back to back on a sheet, so that the pages can be displayed simultaneously without having to flip back and forth.
I don't think that I actually have seen a double sided scenario printed back to back.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A possible rule of thumb may be: if it's slightly more than one page, squeeze it so that it fits on one page. If it's clearly more than one page, stretch it so that the two pages appear well-filled (dividing possibly the info pertaining to each side).

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think that I actually have seen a double sided scenario printed back to back.
I believe I have, because I could have sworn I needed to photocopy one of the pages. It could be a false, implanted memory, however.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I have no problem with 2-page scenarios, if the circumstances warrant. Some large scenarios just need the extra space.
Some scenarios deserve more than one page but it is lazy editing if you end up wasting space and have 2 pages as a result.

Our publishing philosophy at Dispatches from the Bunker has been to try to have 4 scenario in each issue: 2 'tournament sized' ones, a medium one and a larger one, the first 3 would be one page and the last, one or more pages, we just published a 3 page monster in #49 but the other 3 were one page each and the vast majority of our scenarios fit on one page. I also like to spread the fighting out between the Western and Eastern Fronts in the ETO along with the PTO and with an occasional look at the Desert or Mediterranean area to give something of interest to everyone in each issue. I am strongly against making the font size any smaller to fit onto one page going forward, cut SSRs instead if possible to simplify might be a better solution. I try to keep to one page if at all possible.

This at least is my view, check out the 48 issues in print for the evidence, Vic.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Some scenarios deserve more than one page but it is lazy editing if you end up wasting space and have 2 pages as a result.

Our publishing philosophy at Dispatches from the Bunker has been to try to have 4 scenario in each issue: 2 'tournament sized' ones, a medium one and a larger one, the first 3 would be one page and the last, one or more pages, we just published a 3 page monster in #49 but the other 3 were one page each and the vast majority of our scenarios fit on one page. I also like to spread the fighting out between the Western and Eastern Fronts in the ETO along with the PTO and with an occasional look at the Desert or Mediterranean area to give something of interest to everyone in each issue. I am strongly against making the font size any smaller to fit onto one page going forward, cut SSRs instead if possible to simplify might be a better solution. I try to keep to one page if at all possible.

This at least is my view, check out the 48 issues in print for the evidence, Vic.
Oh and a HUGE Shout Out to Tom Morin who does all my scenario formatting now and does a GREAT job!

Take a bow Tom, you deserve it! Vic. :)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would actually like it better if 2-page scenarios were typically printed front and back on the same sheet; that would make my scanning work that much easier. I know it makes it harder to get a complete view of the scenario though, and I understand this is more important to many players, so I don't complain.

What I would like is to have a clearly visible sign on the first page that says this is not the complete thing. Same on the second page.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't found a scenario with front/back info on the same card, although I know there are some.
I do see some old cards that packed a ton of info in them (ASL 38, ASL 42, ASL 58) and see that when scenarios were updated and republished some went from a single page to 2 pages (ASL 15, ASL 25).

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I have. Do not recall exactly which scenario, but one of the early 2 page offerings. The scenario design community soon figured out it's best to not have both pages on opposite sides of the same page.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have. Do not recall exactly which scenario, but one of the early 2 page offerings. The scenario design community soon figured out it's best to not have both pages on opposite sides of the same page.
but not clever enough to have them on adjoining cards?