The troubling trend of two pages for one scenario…

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Perhaps we could have scenarios on scrolls. You unroll more or less, depending on how much printed material the scenario has. Or have them on accordion-folded sheets.

JR

Last edited:

benj

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I do not know who have done layout for scenario cards there, it is HARD. There is a truckload of information to put and if your scenario contains multiple reinforcement groups, a lot of SSR or a large historical background (which is the case for several of LFT14 scenarios), it is almost impossible to make that fit into a single page without using smaller fonts and cramming elements into a hard-to-read layout.

There is permanent arbitration to do between space, readability, aesthetics. More historical aftermath is nice but it takes space. Shorter SSR or VC mean less space, but sometimes to the cost of ambiguity. Smaller photos mean more space, but less sexiness.

So as we also wanted to keep the "historical" layout of the scenarios, we had to adopt a compromise: put the SSR and historical notes somewhere else when we had no space. Stacking the remaining parts into a single page was also dictated both by costs and simplicity.

We do realize that this is not an ideal solution but none of our experiments (we even tried layouts with a 90 degrees rotation) were remotely satisfying.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
What would be better for most would be to have the first side on the reverse of another then the second part on the front of the next page to be honest. So 1st card has ASL 1 on the front and ASL 2a on reverse then 2nd card ASL2b on the front and ASL3 on the reverse. A simple thing to do in the planing stages really, far better than the second part further on on another card and it keeps it numerically better for those that like order kept . Simple!!!!! ?????

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Perhaps they could be printed using electronic paper. That way the whole scenario pack would be on one page.

JR

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really?

In some ways we are lucky that this trend is one of a few things we have to complain about in ASL.
Presumably it's useful for scenario-card-layers-out to know what the community values in layouts, no? Is there a better way to collect that information that this sort of "complaining"?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What would be better for most would be to have the first side on the reverse of another then the second part on the front of the next page to be honest. So 1st card has ASL 1 on the front and ASL 2a on reverse then 2nd card ASL2b on the front and ASL3 on the reverse. A simple thing to do in the planing stages really, far better than the second part further on on another card and it keeps it numerically better for those that like order kept . Simple!!!!! ?????
That is how I would like it, so you can open your scenario notebook and read both pages. An occasional two page scenario isn’t bad, but when I start to see these types of pages I get concerned:

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I am fine with 2 (or more if needed) pages per scenario. From a practical perspective I prefer if the 2nd page is on the back of another scenario, simply so I don't have to turn the card over so I can leave my counters on the card at setup. The first time that I came across not having the 2 halves on the opposite sides of the same card, my OCD flared up, but practical considerations won out. My OCD nature is easily satisfied as when I scan the cards I can name the image files so they appear in their "natural" order (ASL 123 a.jpg, ASL 123 b.jpg, etc). Having your OCD cake and eating it too.

EDIT: amended in red to ease Justicar's twitches.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am first interested in the tactical challenge of a scenario, then in a nice, not too cramped display (I place the units on the scenario cards to prepare the set up).
As my table is large enough, I don't mind having two cards.
Squeezing everything on one card just for the sake not to have two is not very clever, IMO.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have always resented the fact that counters are printed on both sides.
Ach, that ain't half as bad. Have a look at dice (precision dice are not exempt from the problem):
These are not only printed on both sides but on all sides...
The world's going down the drain, I am telling ya!

von Marwitz

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ach, that ain't half as bad. Have a look at dice (precision dice are not exempt from the problem):
These are not only printed on both sides but on all sides...
The world's going down the drain, I am telling ya!

von Marwitz
It portends...
the final decline of civilization!