The Tank Museum, Bovington, UK

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for sharing the travel map too. Bovington is on my bucket list when I finally make it over to England.
The M3 Grant was very impressive.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for sharing the travel map too. Bovington is on my bucket list when I finally make it over to England.
The M3 Grant was very impressive.
Oh yes, I took a particular interest at the Honeys too!

As a civilian I am very impressed with how cramped (esp) some of the smaller tank / armored cars are .. I didn't wanna squeeze myself into the some of the "open" AFVs they got there.

On the other hand, the bigger ones look like a real challenge to climb on fully laden (in a player turn) as PRC, they are real high off the ground!!

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a civilian and I am very impressed with how cramped (esp) some of the smaller tank / armored cars are .. I didn't wanna squeeze myself into the some of the "open" AFVs they got there.
It's good to remember that the average height of US soldier in WW2 was something like 2 inches shorter than the average height of US civilians now. Average width has increased a bit more than that :) That's the power of childhood nutrition.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Also the Japanese who were regarded as literally "little yellow men" due to their average height are now pretty much up there with the rest of the world with regards to stature.

While the results of the Dutch famine ('44-'45) on the next generation was unsurprising, children born of women pregnant during the famine were under weight and sized, the effects continued into the following generation, IE the grandchildren were also undersized. That despite the fact that those grandchildren had no nutritional deficit and their parents a deficit for only a very short period of their lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944–45#Legacy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgenerational_epigenetic_inheritance#In_humans
for those who are interested.

Nutritional status has effects on both body and mind. Even in my lifetime I have noted the increase in average height (and unfortunately much width) due to improved nutrition.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Also the Japanese who were regarded as literally "little yellow men" due to their average height are now pretty much up there with the rest of the world with regards to stature.

While the results of the Dutch famine ('44-'45) on the next generation was unsurprising, children born of women pregnant during the famine were under weight and sized, the effects continued into the following generation, IE the grandchildren were also undersized. That despite the fact that those grandchildren had no nutritional deficit and their parents a deficit for only a very short period of their lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_famine_of_1944–45#Legacy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgenerational_epigenetic_inheritance#In_humans
for those who are interested.
Now Dutch men are the tallest in the world, so things change. Americans, who were among the tallest in 1914, are now only around the 40th place in the world; they stopped growing in the 60s.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh yes, I took a particular interest at the Honeys too!

As a civilian and I am very impressed with how cramped (esp) some of the smaller tank / armored cars are .. I didn't wanna squeeze myself into the some of the "open" AFVs they got there.

On the other hand, the bigger ones look like a real challenge to climb on fully laden (in a player turn) as PRC, they are real high off the ground!!
Are visitors allowed to view the interiors of any of the AFV'S? I would be interested in seeing the insides of the Grant or a Stug. I wouldn't be surprised if the management said 'no'.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No climbing into the AFVs, there were some cutaways which allowed me to see the insides of several tanks.

I am 5' 10", which was average Ami height in the 1960's. I am now above average high due to the influx of immigrants, primarily from Mexico.

Rich

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I knew someone that was no longer eligible to train for fighters after college because he grew two inches.
Yes, I've heard that it's not fun having to leave your kneecaps behind if you need to eject.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are visitors allowed to view the interiors of any of the AFV'S? I would be interested in seeing the insides of the Grant or a Stug. I wouldn't be surprised if the management said 'no'.
They allow you into some of the WW1 tanks (mostly named after Mark). I am 6ft - took a look and decided it might not be the best idea.

The OTs you can of course take a look at - even then it seems pretty cramped - especially when I imagined there are tanks running about shooting back.

One modern day AFV that looks rather interesting is the Jackal. It's lauded for being able to offer superior situational awareness.

To me it just seems like another word for ... EXPOSED. But I will defer to the treadheads in the forum.

Rgds Jack

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There's a similar museum in France, in Saumur - I had a look last June because there was a weekend of historic gaming in the museum, and that included a meeting of 6-10 ASL enthusiasts (playing on tables set up between the Soviet tanks, with the occasional museum visitors having a look, is an interesting experience). I'm not sure how the collections compare - I know next to nothing about real tanks anyway, I almost needed the little informative tags to make the difference between a Sherman and a Tiger.

I don't think they let you inside the vehicles either. Some halftrack-likes were open so you could see inside. Yeah, it all looked rather cramped...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There's another one in Munster, Germany (not too far from Hamburg). Probably a tad smaller than the two previous ones, but still with quite a few vehicles (especially of course German ones).

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There's another one in Munster, Germany (not too far from Hamburg). Probably a tad smaller than the two previous ones, but still with quite a few vehicles (especially of course German ones).
That is a good one at Munster Nord, a fair few runners as well, They were running a Stug III G around when I was there (late 90's), Bovy run out Tiger 131 a fair bit and she is beautiful and sounds mean as F, she will normally run around with the Museums working Panzer III J, and the size difference is quite funny.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Munster has a shït load of unusual stuff, including a replica A7V and a real Strv m/21-29 a Swedish service upgrade of the trial WW1 German LK II.
Pz I A, SdKfz 234/4, early Pz II and Pz IV A turrets, Sturmpanzer IV, pre-production JgPz IV (aka 0-Serie) are among the more usual items.