The Tampa ASL Group Has Lost Dave "Mountain Man" Brown

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got a call Saturday morning from Dave Brown's daughter who informed me that he passed away on Friday, 8/23/19. He died of a heart attack. He was 72.

Dave has been an important part of the Tampa ASL Group since 1997. Dave was always ready to play ASL and could always be depended upon to playtest for Schwerpunkt. He was a true ASL comrade, a loyal Tampa Group member and good friend. Sometimes he had the craziest good luck while gaming. He was a frequent practitioner of unconventional tactics that should not succeed, but more often than not, did succeed.

Dave was also a frontier reenactor and that's why he was known to us as "Mountain Man Dave" or just "The Mountain Man" even though he really was more of a Florida flat lander. Dave was an avid shooter as are many of the other Tampa players. He was always well armed, so much so that just before Dave would leave after a day's gaming, we would always pause to play "How Many Guns is Dave Carrying Today". Everyone in the room would call out his estimate of Dave's armament and then Dave would reveal the true number he was carrying. He had carried up to four guns, was known often to have three, but never did the Mountain Man carry less than two. His philosophy was to always be ready to arm a buddy if necessary.

This was a very sad day for us in the Tampa ASL Group. We have lost a good friend who we will greatly miss. Our sympathy goes out to Dave Brown's family.

Farewell, Mountain Man.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never met Dave but your beautiful tribute to him struck a chord. I miss him too and offer my solemn salute to honor your friend. o7

Allan

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to hear that, my condolences to his family and ASL buddies. Always tough to hear such news.

Tom

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know Mountain Man Dave from the Tampa Bay ASL group, and played him dozens of times over the years. The news was sudden and unexpected. It is hard to say more than what Evan said. I can only add that he had a solid, practical character fitting his nickname.

A small ASL tribute to him would be playing his one and only scenario design, RPT156 Wiking Rescue.

I am going to miss you Dave.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
As other have said, I am very sorry for the loss to your group!

Peace

Roger

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My condolences. Always sad to lose another ASL brother.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very sorry to hear about this loss. My condolences to his family and the Tampa ASL Group.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan, very sorry to hear about Dave. Never had the pleasure to meet the man, but he sounds like a great guy. My condolences to all who knew him.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...He had carried up to four guns, was known often to have three, but never did the Mountain Man carry less than two. His philosophy was to always be ready to arm a buddy if necessary.
Sounds like Dave was the type of SMC who would remain armed even when swimming. Sorry to hear that he rolled too high on his Wound-Severity dr. My condolences to his (ASL) friends and family. The Game has lost another cardboard warrior, but is richer for the time Dave dedicated to it.

Will have a look at RPT156 when it arrives next month. Looks like it would be a blast to play at our monthly meet in September. Calling dibs on the Germans!

Overview:
A full SS panzer-grenadier company mounted in halftracks and supported by Panther tanks from the 5th SS Panzer Division “Wiking” attacks to clear a farmstead and relieve the besieged Penal Battalion 560. Will the fifteen Russian squads and six SU-76ms from the 44th Rifle Division overrun their village before help arrives?
Attacker: German (SS) (5th SS Panzer Division "Wiking" and Penal Battalion 560)
Defender: Russian (44th Rifle Division)
Turns: 5.5 Players: 2 OBA: None Night: No
Zerczye and Stacja-Nurzec, Poland 1944-07-22
Unit Counts:
Squads: A:18.0 D:15.0
AFVs: A:15
PzKpfw VG x 3
SPW 251/1 x 9
SPW 251/9 x 1
SPW 251/2 x 1
SPW 251/sMG x 1

D:6
SU-76M x 6
Guns: A:0 D:0
Victory Conditions:
Exit VP:​
Building Control VC:​
Area Control VC:​
Unit Based VC:​
LOS Style VC:​
CVP Cap:​
Misc Rules:
Map Board(s): 9a1643

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry to learn of Tampa ASL's loss- my heart goes out to his family and friends!!