The summer of 100K

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ROAR just passed 99000 games logged. That is 2000 in 2017 so far. Sometime this summer (northern hemisphere) we will pass the 100000 games logged level. We are logging an average of more than 400 games a month. There was a bit of a slow down in May. But generally more games are being logged than ever before.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But generally more games are being logged than ever before.
Great news. I don't log my own games, as I'm a novice and don't necessarily think that my play is representative. I do, however, always look at the ROAR balance before suggesting a scenario for play. It's great to hear that we are getting an ever-growing body of data to assess what's being played and whether it's balanced.

Dave

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I generally log mine at the scenario archive rather than ROAR, though the archive does publish results from both sites. What I find just as useful as the win/loss results are the short write-ups some leave at the archive - actually, these are often *more* useful in figuring out if a particular scenario is something that we would want to play.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I did my part with 1358 games logged over 14 years.

Just didn't log my first two years (2000-2002), if Roar was even created by JR back then.

RIch

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Great news. I don't log my own games, as I'm a novice and don't necessarily think that my play is representative.
The ROAR numbers are based on statistics driven by raw (pun not intended) numbers. All playings are important and relevant. If you think the ROAR statistics have value, then you should log all of your games.

Aside from that, on a more personal level, one day you may find that having a list of games you've played (and the opponents) and when you played them to be of interest.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If one assumes a 10:1 ratio between ROAR-recorded and other games, one may reach the 1 million mark for ASL games.

Of course the ratio chosen is not based on hard facts and can be challenged.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aside from that, on a more personal level, one day you may find that having a list of games you've played (and the opponents) and when you played them to be of interest.
Oh, I've already got a notebook devoted to recording my plays. When I got my first win (Americans in "Gavin Take" , started 3 Feb and finished 14 Feb) I made sure to start logging my plays. ;-)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great news. I don't log my own games, as I'm a novice and don't necessarily think that my play is representative. I do, however, always look at the ROAR balance before suggesting a scenario for play. It's great to hear that we are getting an ever-growing body of data to assess what's being played and whether it's balanced.

Dave
You should open an 'account'. You warrant one, your novice habit will be fleeting.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I did my part with 1358 games logged over 14 years.

Just didn't log my first two years (2000-2002), if Roar was even created by JR back then.

RIch
I got about 382 games logged since 2004. I think you need to play over 50 games a year to keep in practice. Only about 30 games a year. That does not count play testing...Which may get me close to 40 games a year.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If one assumes a 10:1 ratio between ROAR-recorded and other games, one may reach the 1 million mark for ASL games.

Of course the ratio chosen is not based on hard facts and can be challenged.
I bet that would be close. My brother and I have played for over 30yrs and never logged one on ROAR. We don't keep track, but id say close to a 1000 scenarios over the years mavbe more...

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just passed 99200 games logged.

Last edited:

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ROAR numbers are based on statistics driven by raw (pun not intended) numbers. All playings are important and relevant. If you think the ROAR statistics have value, then you should log all of your games.

I understand the question of logging. I am just starting out and want to have a record of my games. I feel a bit odd logging a win. At this point there is no win on my record for which some credit doesn't go to my opponent who is also a teacher. I do think the overall statistics do add value though and it is nice to go back and review your own history. I will keep doing my meager share to push us over the 200k.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The ROAR statistics aren't about you, and they don't say anything about you. They don't say anything about anyone. They are just numbers, and they are only useful when there are a lot of them.

Every game you choose not to record is a spit in the face of ROAR's potential. Suppose everyone did what you do? No games at all would be logged, and ROAR would have no function at all.

As I said above: if you think the ROAR statistics have value, then you should log all of your games. If you don't think the ROAR statistics have value, then why are even bother to talk about it like they do?

ROAR doesn't care if you're the best damned ASL player in the world, or the rawest newbie to ever climb out of the womb. ROAR doesn't care whether your dice were smoking hot, or you were playing with a splitting headache and can't speak your opponent's language. ROAR doesn't care whether both you and your opponent were cheating at every single possible opportunity. The only thing ROAR cares about is: what scenario were you playing, which side won, and (optionally) did you have a good time. END OF STORY.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Agreed, except it would probably be nice if ROAR could give an option to submit the information whether the scenario's balance was used.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I disagree on this point -- I would say that a player should only enter a play on ROAR if they are fairly confident that they played the scenario without making any significant errors or omissions with regard to the rules of the game in general, plus the SSRs and VCs for the scenario, otherwise you're not actually giving useful data on the balance of the scenario when played correctly, but on the balance of the scenario when played incorrectly and there's no way to determine that from looking at the ROAR entry for a scenario.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am not sure mate. Making errors / omissions is part of a legit game - A.2

He who makes the least mistakes is in a better shape. No? :)

I disagree on this point -- I would say that a player should only enter a play on ROAR if they are fairly confident that they played the scenario without making any significant errors or omissions with regard to the rules of the game in general, plus the SSRs and VCs for the scenario, otherwise you're not actually giving useful data on the balance of the scenario when played correctly, but on the balance of the scenario when played incorrectly and there's no way to determine that from looking at the ROAR entry for a scenario.