The Road

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks interesting:

The Road

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and, when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing: just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food--and each other.
The father is played by Viggo Mortensen, so this might be good.

In a NYT article, the director commented:

The director of “The Road” is an Australian, John Hillcoat, best known for “The Proposition,” and many crew members were Aussies as well. In conversation the “Mad Max” movies, the Australian post-apocalyptic thrillers starring Mel Gibson, came up a lot, and not favorably. The team saw those movies, set in a world of futuristic bikers, as a sort of antimodel: a fanciful, imaginary version of the end of the world, not the grim, all-too-convincing one that Mr. McCarthy had depicted.

“What’s moving and shocking about McCarthy’s book is that it’s so believable,” Mr. Hillcoat said. “So what we wanted is a kind of heightened realism, as opposed to the ‘Mad Max’ thing, which is all about high concept and spectacle. We’re trying to avoid the clichés of apocalypse and make this more like a natural disaster.” He imagined the characters less as “Mad Max”-ian freaks outfitted in outlandish biker wear, he added, than as homeless people. They wear scavenged, ill-fitting clothing and layers of plastic bags for insulation.
Finally! I mean, the Mad Max films are fun, but the costumes and stuff are ridiculous. The only movie that I believe really got the apocalypse look correct is Threads.

antique_master

Recruit
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a cinema release?

Anywho, great book. Not sure if it'll work as a film, but we'll see...

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a movie release, but the release date is now definitely 2009 because the director was not happy with the amount of post-production tweaking they could get done with a 2008 release date. When in 2009? Dates are being thrown around from early 2009 to summer 2009. :(

I am somewhat optimistic about this film because the director seems to be a big fan of the book and has been sounding like Peter Jackson in that he refuses to release the film until it does justice to the book. People who have seen the rough cut are also saying that it is possible Academy Award material.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are some new teaser pictures out. Check 'em out here:

The Road Teaser Shots

I hope these shots are uncorrected because some of them are too sunny. McCarthy went to great lengths to paint a dark, hopeless "nuclear winter". I can see sun-cast shadows in some of those shots....:cool:

Still, can't wait for this film.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Cinefools:

Hey FOOLS! I was able to have a quick chat with producer Steve Schwarz yesterday, I asked him what the progress of The Road was and while he couldn't say much about the film he has confirmed the film has just been finished. Hopefully we can hear and see more of the film, I got the vibe a release date is not too far off being announced so we'll most definately keep you posted on that when it is announced.
I sure hope this film isn't a big disappointment after all this nonsense.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow...this trailer makes the movie look better than I dared to hope!

[YOUTUBE]hbLgszfXTAY[/YOUTUBE]

Can't wait!

PS: Quiet Earth, which is quickly becoming a regular haunt of mine, has posted a link to the first preview of the film, as done by Esquire magazine:

"The Road is no tease. It is a brilliantly directed adaptation of a beloved novel, a delicate and anachronistically loving look at the immodest and brutish end of us all. You want them to get there, you want them to get there, you want them to get there — and yet you do not want it, any of it, to end." -- Tom Chiarella, Esquire Magazine.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Guardian gave it four out of five stars:

Venice film festival: The Road

Starring Viggo Mortensen, John Hillcoat's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic novel is a slice of powerful horror well worth the wait.

What a haunting, harrowing, powerful film this is. Before last night's premiere there were rumours that its lengthy post-production period (the movie was actually shot back in February 2008) spelled signs of a troubled, sickly production. By and large, those fears have now proved to be unfounded.
You can see a particularly harrowing clip here.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Did anyone see this one? I'm wondering if it's worth getting when it comes out on DVD.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would definitely get it. I haven't seen it, but friends of mine who did thought it was great. Again, it's a very dark, very serious film (i.e., it isn't an action-oriented Road Warrior flick), so if that's okay with you, I would get it.

BTW: Do you have a release date for the DVD?

PS: Does this mean you liked Fallout 3? :)