The Red God of War? Soviet Artillery in WWII and other.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is probably the best, most important video or media of any kind I've come across in the last year. I took notes. Its a class.
The Red God of War? Soviet Artillery in WWII

Its reinforcing my impression that lawyers may make for some of the most formidable historians or analysts of history.
(That impression gets started out with Richard B. Franks work - his books, but also listening to him speak and present).

Big take away is how crucial lend lease provided chemicals are for Soviets to succeed. From recently completing Tower of Skulls and the Chinese experience, the comparison their experience with what the Soviets could have faced without the chemicals was pretty compelling. What was also compelling was the account of Zhukovs's comments in 1963 just after the Cuban Missile Crisis on how crucial this help was.

I think its a fair statement in general based on professional experience there's a general lack of appreciation and focus on how key the chemical and chemical engineering industry to the foundation of the modern world - for the same reasons brought out in the video.

From other reading, my take away is that maybe the best way way to view it maybe -Soviet casualties were high per the why of the video, but it doesn't take away, just hindered (sometimes badly) Soviet late war 44-45 maneuver skills, especially the Manchurian Campaign, but they had to have external help to do all that too - trucks, ect.

A side note and a whole another rabbit hole and something else lead lease included, not mentioned above: high octane fuel, hard to make, and which having such was a big advantage for the allies in their aircraft: German C3 Fuel, Uber Octane or Synthetic Crap?
The channel can be characterized as "everything you ever wanted to know that's important about WW2 piston engine aircraft but were afraid to ask"

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Not just chemicals - something I read recently was that 90% of the radios used by the Red Army on the battlefield in WWII were from Lend Lease. This is on top of the critical supplies of telephone line supplied by the west - the Soviets made a lot of it but it was such poor quality that much of it couldn't be used. (Rottman; World War II Battlefield Communications.)