The protests in EVE hurt CCP a lot more than the company let on

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Although it gives me no joy to report this, it seems the protests in EVE Online hurt CCP quite a bit and have forced the company to reevaluate its goals and relationship with the community. Sadly, this means some people at CCP are going to lose their jobs.

You can read the full announcement here.

There is an official discussion thread for this announcement here.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Some of the highlights:

At CCP we have been working hard to expand the gaming landscape by applying the knowledge and expertise we've built up with EVE Online to create a new experience within the EVE Universe in DUST 514, as well as a new video game franchise in World of Darkness.

During the last few months, as evidenced by our interaction with the community, we made some missteps on that journey.

As we reexamine our outward relations, we are also taking time to reevaluate our internal goals. In doing so, we have come to the conclusion that we are attempting too many things for a company our size. Developing EVE expansions, DUST 514 and World of Darkness has stretched our resources too thin.

Rather than allowing this to persist, we have made the decision to sharpen our focus. Sadly, this means reducing our staff. We estimate that around twenty percent of global positions will be affected by this process.

• For the immediate future, our mission is to enrich the vast EVE Universe by strengthening the continuous development of EVE Online.
  • World of Darkness will continue development with a significantly reduced team.
  • EVE Online is in good health. Our subscriber numbers are higher today than they were a year ago. Unlike many other MMO's on the market, we have continued to grow year-on-year since launch in 2003. However, over the past two months, our subscribers have gone down from their peak this summer. We attribute this to our own mistakes and poor communications with our players. We are correcting that now.
While our decision to refocus is a solemn one, it will benefit our players through a renewed commitment to the EVE Universe and its fans.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Although I'm sad to hear some employees at CCP will lose their jobs, I'm happy to hear about the decision to focus on EVE Online and to better communication with the players.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is interesting that lay-offs were involved. I've seen other companies just move staff from one project to another. By laying off staff, it sounds like to me that World of Darkness is mostly dead in the water for the time being.