THe Olympics

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So if one of the badminton players had "sat out" to rest for the medal rounds, you'd be OK with it? Guess they picked the wrong form of tanking to meet your standards.
You never answered my question about buying a ticket to an event where both teams tried to lose.

I would buy a ticket to an event where players sat out, or if my team clinched a playoff game and backup players are used. They are completely different from each other. I guess you enjoy your team losing on purpose. But since you are a Bengals fan, I understand how you can't tell the difference.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bret is trolling. I recommend stopping to feed him.

The ignore list works wonders - if it wasn't for people quoting the offender :D

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I guess we know which side of the argument you're on. One is arguing and the other is trolling. Interesting :p

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Re: Police arrest basketball fan

Not happy with this. It's not actually cheating, they clearly knew the rule for restarts, but it is certainly not within the spirit of the games. What a shame.

Sort of like skulking??? :devious:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

How am I trolling? I think its silly that competitors were tossed out while trying to maximize their chances at a medal. Others feel differently. It's "discussion".

I was amused that the Algerian the IOC thought about tossing for not trying in the 800, was allowed back in because he was "hurt". Amazing how well he recovered to destroy the field in the 1500...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You never answered my question about buying a ticket to an event where both teams tried to lose.
I'd be more horrified that I bought tickets to watch Badminton in the first place. At least the IOC refunded everyone's $, oh wait...

It certainly happens in the NFL & NBA and I've never seen folks asking for refunds. More typical that folks just don't go, although then at least the tanking is apparent prior to the event (best players resting for the playoffs or having a mysterious injury when tanking for a draft pick).

I would buy a ticket to an event where players sat out, or if my team clinched a playoff game and backup players are used. They are completely different from each other. I guess you enjoy your team losing on purpose. But since you are a Bengals fan, I understand how you can't tell the difference.
When your team sits players, the franchise has made a decision not to contest the match at the highest level its capable of. Essentially the same thing the Badminton-ers did. Only difference is they subbed in lesser players to "try their hardest". If the China Badminton team called a couple guys out of the stands to play, then all is good?

Ironically the Steelers not doing that vs. Cleveland in Week 17, cost them in the playoffs and ended their season. But hey, they made T-E-B-O-W even more of a legend... :devious:

And to be clear - I don't think what the Badminton players did was ethical. I wouldn't have done it. I understand why they did it (best chance at gold) and I think the real problem lies with the tourney format which is not the player's doing. If they want to avoid it and still keep a round robin seeding, set it up so the 1 seed gets to pick their opponent to give teams something to play for when a favorite gets upset rather than a reason to tank...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In acordance with the tradition, the judging of many olympic boxing matches is so rigged/corrupt it is laughable.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How am I trolling? I think its silly that competitors were tossed out while trying to maximize their chances at a medal. Others feel differently. It's "discussion".

I was amused that the Algerian the IOC thought about tossing for not trying in the 800, was allowed back in because he was "hurt". Amazing how well he recovered to destroy the field in the 1500...
The most significant difference between the badminton cases and the others is that the badminton players were warned by the umpire, during the game, that they would be disqualified if they continued their behavior, and they didn't change.

Given your strong opinions on the matter, you did watch that episode, did you?

Last edited:

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Good on the two Aussie women who pulled our gold count up, 110 meter hurdles and bike racing, you go girls!

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe a bit off topic, but...

I once watched an NFL game between the Oakland Raiders and KC Chiefs.

They were in the same division, winner would win division, loser would be the wildcard.

KC's quarterback, Lenny Dawson, was injured. They were concerned the excellent Raider defense would mangle him.

So the Chiefs ran the ball every play of the game, with a couple of quick passes to running backs (IIRC). KC had a great defense, so the game ended in a 10-6 Oakland win.

KC went on to win the Superbowl, their coach Hank Stram defended his decision and there were several fan lawsuits to get ticket refunds.

The bottom line is that teams (people/armies...) will do what they believe is in their best interest. German general Manstein, charged with "scortched earth tactics" replied in court that he had little control over a defeated, desperate army burning grainfields to deny their use by advancing armies.

Badminton, badminton? Really, who cares?

Rich

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Good on the two Aussie women who pulled our gold count up, 110 meter hurdles and bike racing, you go girls!
Yeah cos of that fking moron of a referee (cycling) who can't 'read' a situation....
If it wasn't for that dickhead GB would have had 8/10 gold medals, and quite possibly 9/10
I remember when Australia were that dominant in the pool
:)

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The most significant difference between the badminton cases and the others is that the badminton players were warned by the umpire, during the game, that they would be disqualified if they continued their behavior, and they didn't change.
Warned that they would lose the match? That was what they were trying to do! Some warning. I can't believe that didn't change their behavior. :rolleyes:

Olympic history is replete with teams manipulating pool play to their advantage (this year alone the Japanese Women's soccer coach ordered his team not to score in the final pool match), these 4 teams were tossed mostly because they did it with no artform so it was blatantly obvious what they were doing. What they did was certainly egregious & unethical, but it wasn't against the rules and it did maximize their chances at Gold. Had they been better actors (i.e. tried to artfully toss the match) it likely would have gone totally unnoticed...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Warned that they would lose the match? That was what they were trying to do! Some warning. I can't believe that didn't change their behavior. :rolleyes:
They were warned that they would be disqualified (not lose the match). They continued their behavior.

What's so hard to understand?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd be more horrified that I bought tickets to watch Badminton in the first place. At least the IOC refunded everyone's $, oh wait...

It certainly happens in the NFL & NBA and I've never seen folks asking for refunds. More typical that folks just don't go, although then at least the tanking is apparent prior to the event (best players resting for the playoffs or having a mysterious injury when tanking for a draft pick).

When your team sits players, the franchise has made a decision not to contest the match at the highest level its capable of. Essentially the same thing the Badminton-ers did. Only difference is they subbed in lesser players to "try their hardest". If the China Badminton team called a couple guys out of the stands to play, then all is good?

Ironically the Steelers not doing that vs. Cleveland in Week 17, cost them in the playoffs and ended their season. But hey, they made T-E-B-O-W even more of a legend... :devious:

And to be clear - I don't think what the Badminton players did was ethical. I wouldn't have done it. I understand why they did it (best chance at gold) and I think the real problem lies with the tourney format which is not the player's doing. If they want to avoid it and still keep a round robin seeding, set it up so the 1 seed gets to pick their opponent to give teams something to play for when a favorite gets upset rather than a reason to tank...
Nice dodge of the question, but you still haven't answered the question of whether you would buy tickets to any game where both teams were trying to lose.

Apples and oranges. The badminton players tried to lose. Sub players are still trying to win. See Matt Flynn. Plus, they weren't playing for gold, they were positioning themselves to meet the best team later and attempt to get silver. Also, you can't sub players from the stands in any sports, so that point is ridiculous.

And you are dead wrong about the Steelers. They were trying to win, because they were tied with the Ravens for first place. A Steeler win and a Raven loss, and the Steelers win the division and a first round bye. That's why we can never agree on this issue. I wanted them to win in week 17. The Steelers are about winning. Trying to lose or expecting to lose never enters into the equation. But, I guess i could understand if taken from a Bengals perspective.

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
All the difference in the world between not playing very hard to win and actively trying to lose.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to mention that Aly Raisman changed her floor routine in the team competition because the simpler routine had a higher change to score high enough to win them the medal.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And you are dead wrong about the Steelers. They were trying to win, because they were tied with the Ravens for first place. A Steeler win and a Raven loss, and the Steelers win the division and a first round bye. That's why we can never agree on this issue. I wanted them to win in week 17. The Steelers are about winning. Trying to lose or expecting to lose never enters into the equation. But, I guess i could understand if taken from a Bengals perspective.
How am I wrong about the Steelers? I said they'd have been better off resting their guys. They did win, but lost Mendenhall, didn't get Big Ben's bum legs any rest and got upset by Denver the following week when their entire D-Line was felled by injury mid-game & Big Ben had no mobility. There were some calls to rest Big Ben for week 17 prior to the game (think it was Simmons, might have been Dameshek suggesting it) and to take that game as their bye instead of hoping for BAL to lose. PIT didn't do it and got beat early and one of the main reasons was injuries. But hey, PIT always has that week 17 win over the Browns, who needs to win in the playoffs? :p

As a Steeler fan would you really have rather won a meaningless week 17 game rather than R1 of the playoffs? Obviously you'd like to win both, and frankly I wouldn't have been shocked if the Steelers backups could have won that week 17 game anyway & if Big Ben had a little more mobility perhaps the Steelers don't lose in Denver.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to mention that Aly Raisman changed her floor routine in the team competition because the simpler routine had a higher change to score high enough to win them the medal.
Didn't I say exactly that? Glad we agree on something... :D

And the Badmintoners played to lose because it gave them a better chance to medal.

Both played to maximize their chances at gold. One is celebrated, the other sent home in disgrace.