THe Olympics

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't I say exactly that? Glad we agree on something... :D

And the Badmintoners played to lose because it gave them a better chance to medal.

Both played to maximize their chances at gold. One is celebrated, the other sent home in disgrace.
Still not the same thing. Amy did her best in the floor exercise she chose to do. She didnt tank it. You're still comparing apples to oranges.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How am I wrong about the Steelers? I said they'd have been better off resting their guys. They did win, but lost Mendenhall, didn't get Big Ben's bum legs any rest and got upset by Denver the following week when their entire D-Line was felled by injury mid-game & Big Ben had no mobility. There were some calls to rest Big Ben for week 17 prior to the game (think it was Simmons, might have been Dameshek suggesting it) and to take that game as their bye instead of hoping for BAL to lose. PIT didn't do it and got beat early and one of the main reasons was injuries. But hey, PIT always has that week 17 win over the Browns, who needs to win in the playoffs? :p

As a Steeler fan would you really have rather won a meaningless week 17 game rather than R1 of the playoffs? Obviously you'd like to win both, and frankly I wouldn't have been shocked if the Steelers backups could have won that week 17 game anyway & if Big Ben had a little more mobility perhaps the Steelers don't lose in Denver.
Sill dodged the question.

The Steelers loss was not about losing Mendenhall. His backup Redman was dominating in that game. It was more about losing their entire starting defensive line and both their starting offensive tackles. I agree with the Steelers that they should go for the win in 17 and get a bye. Hindsight is 20-20. Your woulda, coulda, shoulda's mean absolutely nothing. You can speculate all you want, but if it happens again i have much more faith in Tomlin than I do your what ifs. And yes, it is hard to understand for non Steeler fans as we expect to win and don't settle for anything less.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to mention that Aly Raisman changed her floor routine in the team competition because the simpler routine had a higher change to score high enough to win them the medal.
Before the team comp Raisman couldn't complete her harder routine in warm-ups. So, she went with the simpler routine to try and win. Before the individual event days later, she was performing the harder routine in warm-ups and decided to do it in the completion.

She tried hard to win both events and succeeded. A true Olympian.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watching Rhythmic Gymnastics. Got to be the stupidest event in the entire Olympics. Girl dancing around with a ribbon and twirling it around. Looks more like it should be some kind of dance contest instead of gymnastics.:toilet:

What are some of the other ridiculous events out there? I cant think of any worse than this.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Watching Rhythmic Gymnastics. Got to be the stupidest event in the entire Olympics. Girl dancing around with a ribbon and twirling it around. Looks more like it should be some kind of dance contest instead of gymnastics.:toilet:

What are some of the other ridiculous events out there? I cant think of any worse than this.
I've recorded the rhythmic gymnastics to watch next week. I love it. Such grace and control. If you disrespect it you do so from a position of ignorance. Same with snchro swimming. At first you think how stupid it is with the inane grins on the swimmers, but then you realise just how hard the moves are, let alone coordinating them amongst seven team members.

I hate basketball, never have seen the appeal but I've watched a few hours. It's the Olympics. Same with the soccer, particularly the ladies.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've recorded the rhythmic gymnastics to watch next week. I love it. Such grace and control. If you disrespect it you do so from a position of ignorance. Same with snchro swimming. At first you think how stupid it is with the inane grins on the swimmers, but then you realise just how hard the moves are, let alone coordinating them amongst seven team members.

I hate basketball, never have seen the appeal but I've watched a few hours. It's the Olympics. Same with the soccer, particularly the ladies.
I'm not disrespecting the difficulty of it, just how ridiculous it looks. Should be called a dance competition or something.

Synchronised swimming is very hard, especially to co-ordinate the moves of several people at one time.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same with the soccer, particularly the ladies.
I personally am not a fan of soccer at all...and never watch it. EXCEPT...during the World Cup and the Olympics...and then ONLY the women.

Why?

1. Because they are (in most cases) obviously easier to look at...:D

2. More importantly to this uneducated soccer-watcher...they just seem to play harder and there appears to be more action throughout the game.

Is Number 2 true? Or does Number 1 bias my viewpoint?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I personally am not a fan of soccer at all...and never watch it. EXCEPT...during the World Cup and the Olympics...and then ONLY the women.

Why?

1. Because they are (in most cases) obviously easier to look at...:D

2. More importantly to this uneducated soccer-watcher...they just seem to play harder and there appears to be more action throughout the game.

Is Number 2 true? Or does Number 1 bias my viewpoint?

I's say No.2 true and No. 1 is not an issue, just a bonus. Ultimately they seem to have more pride than the men. We have an immensely popular premier football league here in the UK. Men playing. I can't watch it for more than about two minutes without turning it off in disgust. Any time someone gets close to they fall' as if shot, to the floor clutching their faces as though maimed. It is pathetic.

That element does sadly exist in the women's game, but it is very very much a minor feature. They play with passion and pride. One of the best moments in the whole olympics was that semi final US Canada...

Watching only the women makes a lot of sense to me.A long time ago I concluded that women and children play soccer at the top l;evel with the right sprit while men do not.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do they still have baseball with only two countries (US, Japan) being serious contenders? I remember that was a laughing stock item in 2008.

As far as I am concerned all the large team commercial sports that have a world championship every 4 years anyway should be kicked out (soccer, handball, basketball, volleyball). Most of them are unpopular in either the US or everywhere else anyway.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Do they still have baseball with only two countries (US, Japan) being serious contenders? I remember that was a laughing stock item in 2008.

As far as I am concerned all the large team commercial sports that have a world championship every 4 years anyway should be kicked out (soccer, handball, basketball, volleyball). Most of them are unpopular in either the US or everywhere else anyway.
Soccer is not popular "elsewhere?"

Think again.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
22.4 million of 313 million citizens == %7. I would hardly call that popular. We have the worlds most successful Women's National team and can't keep a league running. Now, the landscape is changing and it may yet build critical mass. It doesn't help when FIFA sends the world cup to Qatar despite superior presentations by the US and UK. Hard to think of it as a sport with all the players diving and the corruption in the senior administration. -- jim

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely disgusted with the sportsmanship of Morgan Uceny in the Women's 1500m Final. If you fall down, whether it's your fault, someone else's fault or a complete accident, GET BACK UP AND FINISH THE DAMN RACE!!! You may finish dead last, but at least you finished. her sitting there crying and feeling sorry for herself shows me that she thinks "it's all about me all the time". What is refreshing to see is the athletes from countries where they have no chance of medaling, trying their hardest and proudly representing their country.

Congrats to the US Women's 4x100 Relay team on smashing a 27 year old world record.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Errr...

Soccer is not popular in the US.
But it is slowly making headway, much to my chagrine. I'm taking my boys to Seattle next weekend to visit my brother and to see the King Tut exhibit. Every year when we're in Seattle we also catch a Mariners game. This year my brother suggested soccer, because the M's are stinking up the joint. I said, "Soccer?". He said, "Yes, the Sounders are a great team and they are fun to watch. But we need to buy tickets soon as the stadium only holds 36,000, so they will sell out."

I said, "Soccer?"

Still can't bring myself to buy tickets and go to a game. Hopefully, the tickets will be sold out, so I don't have to go. (still can't comprehend a soccer game in USA selling 36K tickets). I played soccer for 4 years and there's no way I can bring myself to watch a non USA Oylmpic or World cup game.

Last edited:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So that was the half time show..? Bring on another two weeks?

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So that was the half time show..? Bring on another two weeks?

Trev,

ENUF of the Olympics until next time.......

Congrats to the guy from Uganda that beat out some of the favorites in the Men's Marathon.

Also, thanks to all in England that helped to provide this event with little or no issues......

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Trev,

ENUF of the Olympics until next time.......

Congrats to the guy from Uganda that beat out some of the favorites in the Men's Marathon.

Also, thanks to all in England that helped to provide this event with little or no issues......
GB (population 60 million) won 29 Golds whilst USA population 250 million won 45. Therefore GB did more than TWICE AS WELL AS USA ;-)

Cool Britannia....

Seriously though, what brilliant 17 days of sporting excellence.

Footballers eh? What bunch of grossly overpaid, underachieving primadonnas. Anybody see any of the GB women's team writhing around in 'agony' after falling over for no apparent reason?

Cheers

Paul