THe Olympics

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On another note, i saw on Yahoo today that a lot of the venues from the Athens olympics are literally falling in. They spent 15 billion dollars to host the thing and then just let the arenas go, sad...:upset:

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On another note, i saw on Yahoo today that a lot of the venues from the Athens olympics are literally falling in. They spent 15 billion dollars to host the thing and then just let the arenas go, sad...:upset:
Well, at least they most likely got it all back (and the redistributed it :p)

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw a nice pictorial on the "Ruins of the Modern Games" which was mostly Athens shots of their abandoned Olympic structures. Hopefully London has a good plan in place to put the Olympic buildings to new use. Montreal did a good job converting most of their buildings from '76 into usable structures and it doesn't seem like Athens used any foresight in planning for after the games.

But hey, at least the rest of Europe helped cover their costs, right? :freak:

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Same thing has happened to a lot of the Chinese venues.

Aside from the temporary structures, some of which will be reappearing at Rio (such as the basketball arena), or moved and rebuilt elsewhere (hockey arena will be rebuilt) most of the London facilities will be used permanently or were there before. Apparently London didn't have an Olympic class pool. It now has an indoor velodrome also. They're going to strip the top deck off the stadium and make it a soccer venue.

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Part of the reason for the success of the London bid was they way they'd thought through the legacy of the olympics and were using it to regenerate a run down area. According to relatives who live closeish this has worked very well