The old AOO topic by Loquitor When will AOO be available

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, since my account was deleted because I made the stupid choice of going with AOL.... lets try this again:

I stated that AOO would hit the P list in September and would ship in April of 2004.

AOO actually hit the P list on October 1, 2003 minutes after midnight...so maybe I won't be too far off and it will ship in May of 2004, not withstanding Brian Y's evil side.

Ok folks post your comments again. I really want to hear when AOO was first ever hinted at... how many different dates we have had for the release of AOO...what the playtesters think about the scenarios.....and all the good stuff...

Darkman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forward Observer

In the first ASL annuals there was a column at the end of each issue called the Forward Observer. It listed what was coming up. The 90 issue trumpted the then just released COB, and about work starting on Gung Ho. That is the first column I found that mentioned AOO (then unnamed). Stating that after GH, work would begin on French and Minor's equipment.

The 91 issue Stated that GH was nearly done and work was starting on the french module, in a manor similar to how Hollow Legions was handled. And that after that a final module on Axis minors would be started. Again the module was unnamed at that time.

The 92 issue (which was the last to have this column). Trumpeted GH and that the French module was being worked on. After it was done work would start on a module tentativly being named Armies of Oblivion.

Darkman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
similar Question

In the vain of what was promised when. A General during the era of SL listed the projected modules for SL. Mentioning not just the 4 that were done (it was written before GI came out), but modules for the Pacific and the desert. Anybody know which issue that was in, and what the names of the never finished SL modules were?

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Vol. 14, No. 6 (from 1978) of the General, written before CoI (the first expansion gamette) came out, had a "Title Survey" giving a long list of prospective titles for games. The SL expansions were listed as well, and I would assume reflect the planned expansion at that time.

Cross of Iron - First expansion, with Eastern Front scenarios and counters

A Rising Crescendo - Second expansion, to be known as Crescendo of Doom once it was actually released. To feature the British, French, Dutch, Belgian and Polish forces while concentrating on the early years of the war in Europe.

Cassino - Third expansion, completing the American and British OoB, along with Commonwealth troops.

Airborne - Fourth expansion, with paratroop/airborne rules along with river crossings.

Omaha Beach - Fifth gamette, with amphibious landing rules, along with American rangers, landing craft and air support.

Okinawa - Last gamette introducing the Japanese ("who will suffer from poor firepower but whose morale levels will make them extremely difficult to stop") and American marines.

Later issues probably refined this somewhat but this is the most complete listing I recall. I do know though that by the time GI was released they were already talking about the revision of the rulebook that was to become ASL rather than any further gamettes.

Pete

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: The old AOO topic by Loquitor When will AOO be availabl

Loquitor said:
I stated that AOO would hit the P list in September and would ship in April of 2004.
I originally said 12/25/03. My last prediction a couple of weeks ago was 10/4/04.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP's latest promise re AOO was "spring," which apparently they interpreted to mean "before summer." However, recent remarks they have made regarding the World Boardgaming Convention now make it sound as if finishing AOO before WBC will be a challenge--and that is a long way into summer.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will put one on the positive on the hunch that they are already collating in secret to keep the rumor mill and e-mail traffic down.

End of May will start shipping.

Keith

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: The old AOO topic by Loquitor When will AOO be availabl

Loquitor said:
OK, since my account was deleted because I made the stupid choice of going with AOL.... lets try this again:

AOO actually hit the P list on October 1, 2003 minutes after midnight...so maybe I won't be too far off and it will ship in May of 2004, not withstanding Brian Y's evil side.

Ok folks post your comments again. I really want to hear when AOO was first ever hinted at... how many different dates we have had for the release of AOO...what the playtesters think about the scenarios.....and all the good stuff...
I believe that there are some obscure carvings found in an ancient (PC Mod On) Native American (PC Mod Off) burial mound located in the southern USA. The carvings refer to a start date sometime before the discovery of the new world. Carbon dating has not been completed yet.

SteerJock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everyday I dutifully log on, go to MMP and read the news. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Someday, yes someday, Christmas will come. By then, though, I may be too old to play "games", and afterwards? What then?

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am thinking AOO will be out in time for ASLOK. That way they can make a big splash with its appearance.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keith said and I quote:

MMP will have AoO shipped by the end of spring or we will pay ever person who Pre ordered 1 Million ummmm 1 Billion dollars..........

yeah that's the ticket

Keith, Spring ends June 21........ :roll:

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to a post on Consim tonite, Perry Cocke has a very low confidence factor in AOO shipping by end of spring. With a high confidence factor of it shipping whenever it ships. I eat crow and looks like Brian Williams prediction of 10/2004 gets closer to being right. And Tater's belief that Gamers does indeed interfere quite a bit with ASL, as being on the mark.

:(

Keith

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Well, I for one am glad that AoO will be out later and not sooner, it kinda shows MMP is trying to get it right. Anyway, I have a ton of ASL stuff to play so I can wait.
Oh ya, plus DAKII should be showing up at my doorstep very soon as well as Three Battles of Manassis, so in way, I'm kinda glad MMP is printing the gamers stuff first.

Scott

mharviala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Drat. I was hoping to be able to bring some copies with me to the old country in July. The natives are willing to trade huge quantities of beer for ASL trinkets.

Oh well. Now I'll have to pay for my own beer.

Mika

Patton1138

Reaction score
I was just thinking. Some have been waiting 14 years for this thing. What will happen when it is published? Sure, there will be other things we will no doubt complain about and egg on MMP about, but nothing will match that of AoO. After careful consideration of these circumstances, I vote that AoO never be published. I don't think some will be able to go on living once they have it in their hands. Save the hobby! Destroy AoO!

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patton1138 said:
I was just thinking. Some have been waiting 14 years for this thing. What will happen when it is published? Sure, there will be other things we will no doubt complain about and egg on MMP about, but nothing will match that of AoO. After careful consideration of these circumstances, I vote that AoO never be published. I don't think some will be able to go on living once they have it in their hands. Save the hobby! Destroy AoO!
Yes I agree that there will always be something to complain about. MMP puts up with alot. BUT promising a product for years when they even admit most of the work is done, more than justifies the complaint. They are not responsible for AH's promises, but they do inherit the PR about it.

Keith

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm totally puzzled with the pricing of AOO as it sets a precedent.
Core Modules are now inched up to $80 as was the case with FKaC and $60 or $65 for earlier core modules. In contrast the minor half box modules costs between $35 to $40. Since AOO comes with four maps than it is logical that the pricing should be in the range of $80. Since this is not that case and the cost realities of printing map boards has escalated, does this mean that when the other core modules are exhausted and need to be reprinted that these will now reflect the higher cost model? :roll:

Quite honestly if this is the case, why waste time? Why not bump the other core modules to $112 dollars now? Cynicism aside, I do agree that there is a crisis with the cost of future modules. I think the only rationale thing to do after AOO stock and other stock gets exhausted is to reprint them with paper maps. This should drive the price back down to more realistic prices I suppose $50 for core and $30 for minor modules? :p

Perhaps the highest priority is to maintain stock of at least the rulebook and the 1st core modules at all times. What puzzles me is the speed that the 2nd edition rulebook sold out. This demonstrates that there are limits to the preordering system as I suppose that at least 1000 copies were preordered and an additional 300 copies were printed for stores and subsequent orders. The speed that these remaining 300 (hypothetical) disappeared demonstrates that the demand for product was dramatically underestimated. This was probably the same situation with BV as well.

Unfortunately, what I am proposing is expensive and requires even more investment in stocking inventory at least for the core module and rulebook. With the rulebook, there are some half pint solutions such as print on demand systems that major bookstores use. Surprisingly inexpensive compared to the traditional printing methods currently used. The downside is that the printouts are likely limited to b&w. But, do we really need color as this option drives the cost down to a fraction of the nicer color presentation? That’s debatable, however the option to order the RB this way should be a valid option for those who cannot wait for the nice color reprint. 8)

With regards to reprinting the modules cheaply, I truly puzzled by what can be done to lower costs short of printing with only paper maps. Is it not possible to leverage the relationship with Hasbro to use their economies of scale to print out these modules more cheaply just as they do with thousands of copies of Monopoly? Granted they do have huge economies of scale and print large quantities of product, certainly way beyond the market for ASL products, but unless these avenues have been tried at least from a cost analysis there is no way to determine if it is practical. I am sure that Hasbro does invest on limited production runs on new products, the volumes are likely relatively small to determine if the demand for the product is viable for a larger rollout. This is part of their test marketing strategy; perhaps MMP can leverage this avenue to seek out cheaper production options?

I don’t pretend to understand the MMP / Hasbro relationship but, I sure there must be leveraging opportunities with the parent company that allows the smaller divisions to leverage higher efficiencies. :idea:

Regards

John

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I just checked MMP's websight and another gamers game (SCS Afrika) went up for pre-order. Why is MMP favoring the Gamers games IE printing them first, putting them up for pre-order first and so on. I'm not counting ASLSK because it aint full on ASL.
Dont get me wrong, I like the gamers stuff and am glad they redid DAK but from what Brian Y. says, 3BoM, Shifting Sands will see print before AoO or any other ASL product.
Why oh why does the gamers stuff have more importance then ASL?

Scott

ASLgrognard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A simple answer, but with questions attached

Does the gamers inventory sell better than ASL? Is it cheaper to print?

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the price of AOO reflects its projected print and delivery date of 7 years from now.

Were things better when MMP only had ASL? Is there a marked difference since the Gamers line came on board?