The obligatory 'What are you currently playing?' thread

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hopefully they have the intellect to NOT do it in the San Francisco Bay Area or LA in California. You'd be stuck in traffic 80-90% of the time.
As far as I know, California is the only area currently confirmed in the game. How much of North America they are going to include in the game remains unknown as this time. As for getting stuck in traffic, that's something that every large town/city in the world has to cope with.

In ETS2, you don't get to roam around the city of (say) London or Paris. You haul freight to and from small industrial estates on the outskirts of the cities. The really impressive thing about ETS2 is they provide the illusion of a big city while actually delivering just a very small area of one. The whole game is a magnificent exercise in the art of illusion and it works really well.

This is a promo trailer of ETS2 and the game really does deliver what it advertises.

[video=youtube;xlTuC18xVII]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTuC18xVII[/video]

And this is footage from an early Apha build of American Truck Simulator. Warning! This is nearly an hour long....

[video=youtube;qSUKlmqBJYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSUKlmqBJYQ[/video]

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it wasn't for the fact that I hate driving, I probably would be all over that game. :D It does look like a lot of fun.

Good song in the trailer, too.

I am curious to see what it looks like when they get to the American portion. California is a sensible start, but I think the mid-west would make for interesting gameplay.

Is there weather in the game? Rain, snow, etc? Day/night cycle?

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
If it wasn't for the fact that I hate driving, I probably would be all over that game. :D It does look like a lot of fun.

Good song in the trailer, too.

I am curious to see what it looks like when they get to the American portion. California is a sensible start, but I think the mid-west would make for interesting gameplay.

Is there weather in the game? Rain, snow, etc? Day/night cycle?
Scott,

I chose that promo video because of the song - Hot by Sarah Ozelle.

ETS2 is a most curious beast. I drove for a number of years - cars and vans, not trucks. Because of where I lived, a car or a motorcycle was practically mandatory although I was never that keen on driving and eventually, when the opportunity presented itself, I got rid of my car like a shot. That doesn't stop me from having fun with the game and I still don't have any urge to start driving again.

You start the game by picking up freelance jobs, complete them to earn cash and experience. Spend experience points on improving your skills. The more skills you have the more jobs become available. When you have enough cash or take a loan, buy a truck and run as an owner/operator. Eventually, upgrade your workshop, buy more trucks, hire and fire drivers and essentially run your own transport company. Your employees will need to be trained up, vehicles will need upgrading, need to be repaired etc....

With all the major European truck manufacturers on board - Mercedes - Benz, the last of them, will arrive with the 1.18 patch - you get all the customization options in the game that you would get if buying the truck in real life.

The game is very forgiving if you mess up big time. Unlike real life you do not end up at the pearly gates while your body pieces are scraped up and bagged. A head-on collision will not end either your game or your career. You will, in fact, be able to keep on driving providing you don't need to call for vehicle rescue. However, you will be heavily penalized in fines if it was your fault and your truck will breakdown regularly as you limp to the nearest repair center. Damage to the truck and/or the freight will cost you.

The AI drivers are not perfect but, in my view at least, intentionally so. By and large they are ok drivers. But there are some real idiots on the road. For example, AI drivers will mainly use their indicators correctly but occasionally one will think that indicators are for wimps.

Day/night and rain yes they are in the game. Snow is available but only as a mod. There is no seasonal variation in ETS2 and I don't know if it will appear in American Truck Simulator. It would be seriously cool if it made an appearance.

Overall, ETS2 is a quality product and very polished.

I am at a complete loss, however, to explain why it is such fun. I mean, traffic lights, speed limits, roundabouts, road-works, heavy traffic, speed cameras, customers bitching about why their delivery is not there yet... does any of this sound like fun?

Most curious...

Best wishes,
Steve

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

I chose that promo video because of the song - Hot by Sarah Ozelle.
Good choice! :) Never heard that song before but I like it!

I drove for a number of years - cars and vans, not trucks. Because of where I lived, a car or a motorcycle was practically mandatory although I was never that keen on driving and eventually, when the opportunity presented itself, I got rid of my car like a shot.
I knew there had to be someone else out there like me. :D Been driving over twenty years and I still hate it. Never feel safe behind the wheel of a vehicle. If tomorrow they outlawed cars, I would be the first to celebrate. I need to get out of the burbs and move to the city where I can rely on public transportation. :D

You start the game by picking up freelance jobs, complete them to earn cash and experience. Spend experience points on improving your skills. The more skills you have the more jobs become available. When you have enough cash or take a loan, buy a truck and run as an owner/operator. Eventually, upgrade your workshop, buy more trucks, hire and fire drivers and essentially run your own transport company. Your employees will need to be trained up, vehicles will need upgrading, need to be repaired etc....

With all the major European truck manufacturers on board - Mercedes - Benz, the last of them, will arrive with the 1.18 patch - you get all the customization options in the game that you would get if buying the truck in real life.
Wow, that is a lot more involved than I suspected! Sounds pretty darn interesting.

The game is very forgiving if you mess up big time. Unlike real life you do not end up at the pearly gates while your body pieces are scraped up and bagged.
:laugh::skull:

The AI drivers are not perfect but, in my view at least, intentionally so. By and large they are ok drivers. But there are some real idiots on the road. For example, AI drivers will mainly use their indicators correctly but occasionally one will think that indicators are for wimps.
Actually, that sounds pretty realistic for NY.

Day/night and rain yes they are in the game. Snow is available but only as a mod. There is no seasonal variation in ETS2 and I don't know if it will appear in American Truck Simulator. It would be seriously cool if it made an appearance.
Excellent!

I am at a complete loss, however, to explain why it is such fun. I mean, traffic lights, speed limits, roundabouts, road-works, heavy traffic, speed cameras, customers bitching about why their delivery is not there yet... does any of this sound like fun?
I've always marveled at how a game can take a mundane task and make it seem downright fascinating. Might be a lesson in there, somewhere.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for getting stuck in traffic, that's something that every large town/city in the world has to cope with.
Oh I know I know but... having driven in both places and seen how bad the traffic is (LA being the most notorious place for some of the worst traffic I have ever seen), I really am curious at how they handle it.

Here in the SF Bay Area it's the complete opposite. Most don't use blinkers correctly and I've almost been in a number of accidents because people turn them on last minute or not at all.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, in honor of the Battle of Gettysburg, I fought a corps sized engagement between the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac and Longstreet's First Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia. I was in command of the Second Brigade of the Second Division. I had trouble posting pictures of the engagement here so I posted up an AAR on another site accompanied by a lot of pictures detailing the blow-by-blow of the action. I think I and my men fought rather splendidly against Lee's Old Warhorse.

AAR is titled: For God's Sake! Bring Forward the Cannons! They are Cutting them to Pieces!!!

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
So, in honor of the Battle of Gettysburg, I fought a corps sized engagement between the Third Corps of the Army of the Potomac and Longstreet's First Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia. I was in command of the Second Brigade of the Second Division. I had trouble posting pictures of the engagement here so I posted up an AAR on another site accompanied by a lot of pictures detailing the blow-by-blow of the action. I think I and my men fought rather splendidly against Lee's Old Warhorse.

AAR is titled: For God's Sake! Bring Forward the Cannons! They are Cutting them to Pieces!!!
Nice POR. I love how war games bring history to life. You can read about a battle and that is ok about to a point. But being able to use a war game to put yourself onto the battlefield - that is priceless for full understanding. At least for me.

Best wishes,
Steve

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I'll repost what I posted over at VGG: :)

Great AAR! Enjoyed the read.

I love SoW: Gettysburg. It is the best ACW wargame ever made, and one of the best RTS wargames ever made. I think the game is a good example of how a talented dev can do a lot with a limited graphics engine (sort of reminds me of AI War in that regard).

Did you hear that Norbsoft is re-releasing Second Manassas on Steam? It is currently in Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=476114...

BTW: The Command AI never responds to your messages for support. :mad: I hope that is something that they changed in SoW:Nappy. It would makes things much easier for the player if you could send missives and actually get a response.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll repost what I posted over at VGG: :)

Great AAR! Enjoyed the read.

I love SoW: Gettysburg. It is the best ACW wargame ever made, and one of the best RTS wargames ever made. I think the game is a good example of how a talented dev can do a lot with a limited graphics engine (sort of reminds me of AI War in that regard).

Did you hear that Norbsoft is re-releasing Second Manassas on Steam? It is currently in Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=476114...
Saw your post and just replied to it at VGG! Also, so cool!! I'm glad Matrix and other similar devs and publishers are putting more hardcore wargames on Steam. Good tidings. Sadly, I've also read quite a few numbskulls already complaining about graphics :rolleyes:. My god.

BTW: The Command AI never responds to your messages for support. :mad: I hope that is something that they changed in SoW:Nappy. It would makes things much easier for the player if you could send missives and actually get a response.
Well that explains a helluv alot!!

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing my first, full game in Distant Worlds Universe and I have to say, despite the hours I spent watching let's plays and my time working through the tutorials... I still have no idea what I'm generally doing lmao. Oh! I have a grasp of it but overall.... nope :laugh: ... Anyway, I started a prewarp game with a Human empire (the United Human Empire) and was very, very slow to get the ball rolling. So much so that I only have my home system and another, but no colony on the other. My neighbors spread very fast and took the few habitable planets/systems nearby. On top of that, some jerk attacked me out of the blue and then everyone acted like it was my fault!!?! Well, I completed annihilated his main fleet in 2 separate engagements. I suppose, people don't like the fact that I'm a military dictatorship basically but hey, the war is over, I managed to get all of the sanctions set down against me lifted, and now... I'm planning my revenge. Seriously, I did NOTHING to deserve that war and those sanctions so payback, will hopefully be a b***h!

My empire, that little blue slice in the middle of the pink, and greens, and orange. Yeah, I didn't start out too great but eh, I'm working on it. I have my scouts looking around to discover other, habitable places but I highly doubt nobody's there.
View attachment 50376

My fleet wiping out the last vestiges of the enemy's 3rd Fleet. The two battles weren't even close, I had a shield fleet and my main fleet pounce on their fleet. It was as big as both of mine combined but I had better tech and kicked their butt. Then I fought an insurrection on my home planet with killed millions but now all is good.
View attachment 50377

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally finished Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising! :hurray: Gee, that only took...years and years. LOL! Typical me. I am awful when it comes to finishing campaigns (I guess this is why I like sandbox games with no defined campaigns). And like all my campaign games, this one I abandoned right in the middle. LOL! Well, I got tired of looking at it in my Steam library and decided to finish it once and for all. And I did. Yay me. :)

Chaos corruption never was an issue for me as I am loyal to the Undying Emperor. :hail: However, I did use two pieces of tainted weaponry for an extra edge in the end, but I counter-acted the taint with a suitable blessing.

Overall, I still stick by my initial opinion than DoW 2 is inferior to DoW 1 when it comes to the battles. Despite Relics intent to give the game a more tabletop feel by making the battles smaller and more terrain-dependent, in reality I found most of the battles to still involve blob warfare without regard for terrain as with DoW 1, but on a smaller scale. Really, the only thing that truly saved DoW 2 from being a totally inferior experience was the loot system. This is the one contribution that was worthwhile to the franchise. I have to say that Relic did a superb job adding tons of loot, each with a detailed description/lore of the weapon/armor/blessing that was perfectly in keeping with the 40K universe. Finding and equipping this stuff really made the game feel very much like a traditional RPG even if the battles were not as much fun as the original.

Now I am off to DoW 2: Retribution. :) Yeah, I know: I will abandon the campaign halfway through again. But I am curious to see what changes Relic made as they did say that Retribution was their attempt to make DoW 2 more like the original with bigger battles. I will say that I was surprised to see over 700 people online playing Retribution last night! I had no idea it was still so popular!

Another realization occurred to me: With Retribution, Dawn of War might be my most played franchise ever. I played and completed all that DoW titles up to Retribution. I think that is a singular honor for the franchise! And I have to say it is kinda neat that the franchise has never deviated from its Blood Ravens focus. It is satisfying to play a DoW title and come across the same characters again and again. When I booted up Retribution last night, I immediately chose the SM again even though I really would like to try the IG for a change. I just couldn't abandon my team of Space Marines after all we've been through! :D I need to see how this campaign affects them!

So...any word on Dawn of War 3?

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats Scott!! I'm in the same boat when it comes to most games as well. I start them and then at some point I stop. Lately I've been making an effort to work through my backlog and have been playing NEverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition and Torchlight. Both are games I started a long while ago and never finished so now I'm making an effort to do so. I also started playing Deponia, an adventure game as well to start working through my non-played backlog lol!

Torchlight character with my dog (on the stairs) and my summoned zombie minions
View attachment 51193

Nevewinter Nights... just strolling through the core of Neverwinter like there is no plague going on!
View attachment 51194

Lastly, I'm nearing the completion of watching a thorough walkthrough of Mass Effect 2, paragon, femshep. So far I'd say it's really good but, I just feel like it doesn't have the story and character punch the first one did. It has a bunch of great characters but I miss the banter from the first one (elevators). 2 seems more like you're the parent watching over a bunch of unruly kids at an afterschool day care center. I love how it expanded on the Mass Effect universe but, all the loyalty missions seem like they would have been great side quests to the main mission and not the other way around.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats Scott!! I'm in the same boat when it comes to most games as well. I start them and then at some point I stop.
Thanks! Nice to know I am not alone. :)

Lately I've been making an effort to work through my backlog and have been playing NEverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition and Torchlight. Both are games I started a long while ago and never finished so now I'm making an effort to do so.
Torchlight is one of my all time favorite games! I purchased it on a lark when it was on sale for like $5 or something. Once I started it, I just couldn't stop playing it. It is just so well done! The art, the music, the loot system - I think they outdid Blizzard's Diablo III! I love how, unlike Diablo, you are not restricted to any one class. I also enjoyed the fact that the campaign is only like 27 hours or so, something that makes it doable for a gamer like me. Now I started Torchlight II. Again, loving it!

I also started playing Deponia, an adventure game as well to start working through my non-played backlog lol!
I never heard of that game. Is it a RPG?
Torchlight character with my dog (on the stairs) and my summoned zombie minions
View attachment 51193
I loved how they groaned...and looked! LOL!

Lastly, I'm nearing the completion of watching a thorough walkthrough of Mass Effect 2, paragon, femshep. So far I'd say it's really good but, I just feel like it doesn't have the story and character punch the first one did. It has a bunch of great characters but I miss the banter from the first one (elevators). 2 seems more like you're the parent watching over a bunch of unruly kids at an afterschool day care center. I love how it expanded on the Mass Effect universe but, all the loyalty missions seem like they would have been great side quests to the main mission and not the other way around.
I think I started a ME1 campaign about three times now. LOL! I have yet to complete that game. Like all Bioware games, I enjoy the excellent cutscenes, but I always find the gameplay to be competent but less than compelling.