Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well, what are you playing?

At the moment I'm playing EVE Online, Fallout 3, Demigod, and getting ready to install Dragon Age.

freightshaker

Reaction score
Dragon Age is a real time sucker, I got it for Christmas. Otherwise, I've revisited Company of Hero's since Steam is selling the entire series for $12 and I'm still playing HOI2: Armageddon after all these years. I'm hoping for Guitar Hero: Van Halen for my birthday on Thrus!

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, sticking to the computer stuff....

WoW

Europa Universalis: Rome (Hmm... Europa Universalis + Roman Republic = my attention)

I was fiddling around with OpenTTD a couple months ago, but it never holds my attention in the long term.

Also, tried out Dofus a couple weeks ago. It's cute, and probably worth some more time (I like the combat system), but something seems lacking. Not sure what, it might just be the lack of the active friends & family guild which is all that keeps me going with WoW.

Oh, and a decent amount of time on Vassal/VASL. :)

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Borderlands! Boy is that addictive! However, now that I've put a whole bunch of hours into it, I do have my first critique: the game plays it safe a bit too much. There are a bunch of areas where I would like to see a tad more chrome. Gearbox has said that they shot low for the initial game so as to focus on the core gameplay, and it is apparent. They currently are patching in some content via the DLC, but I don't think we'll see Borderlands live up to its potential until we get a full-fledged sequel.

BTW: Here's a shot of my guy holding his favorite toy: a Vladof TMP8/V3 Grim Fury machine pistol. The thing is a buzz saw in action!

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since it's changed around a bunch, thought I'd pop in here. Just put together a new system, and installed Windows 7, which led me to investigate what did and didn't still work. That led to me spending a couple days having fun with Imperialism II, and then playing through Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds (twice - Human and Martian campaigns). I should really write up a real review of that last; there's just so much right and wrong with that game.

And, a couple days ago, our household got a large box full of games dumped on us; we don't really understand why we were picked... and most of them will be going to a store for credit, or eBay, or something. But there's a couple things I'm at least looking at, and right now I'm trying out Empire Earth III. I have to say it's a lot more different from Empire Earth (I) in feel than I would have expected.

Oh, and I still raid twice a week on WoW.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Just finished Bioshock 2, Supreme Commander 2, and am almost done with Aliens vs. Predator.

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished Assassin's Creed 2 for the Xbox, and I am about to start DoWII: Chaos Rising. Still playing EVE Online, BF:Bad Company 2 multiplayer, Bioshock 2 multiplayer and some Civ IV in preps for Civ V.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
What do you think of Supreme Commander (1 and/or 2)?
I will have a Supreme Commander 2 review up within a few days.

The original SupCom was fairly hardcore for a traditional RTS. There were a lot of options and weapons available to the player, and the GUI was pretty advanced for a game of this type. The sheer scale of the battles forced the player to think differently than when playing an RTS like, say, Starcraft. And it took huge amounts of resources and time to build the best experimental units, any of which could wreck havoc on the battlefield. If you tried to play SupCom like a traditional RTS (using the small maps and worrying about tactics), you were going to be disappointed as that wasn't what the game was intended to do. It was intended for really huge multiplayer battles that could take hours.

SupCom 2 tossed all that right out the window. All the options (and I mean ALL of them) have been stripped from the GUI. The gameplay has been dumbed down to the point where it is essentially just a Command & Conquer clone, with a really lame single player campaign tossed in for good measure. Resource management is very nearly non-existent, and on most maps you have to be an idiot in order to mess up what resource gathering there is. And worst of all, the maps have been reduced from SupCom's gigantic 81x81 kilometer monsters to pathetic battlefield arenas with very little room to do much of anything. Just as bad, even the largest of the new experimentals can be built in 2.5 minutes, and these are a total joke compared to those in the original game.

SupCom 2 may or may not be an average RTS, depending on your tastes, but it has almost nothing to do with the original game. It's a shame they didn't call it something else instead of gutting another solid PC title and turning it into a crappy console port. YMMV.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
After reading some conversation on this forum I got STALKER SOC and the Complete mod that goes with it. When the game first came out I overlooked it thinking it was just a horror shooter along the lines of FEAR or something.... boy was I wrong. Still not a big fan zombies and mutants but so far I can tolorate them in this game. Because this game is so much more than that. And with the added realism of the complete mod you almost feel like you are living through the character as you play its been quite the immersive experience so far and Im not even that far into the game :)

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought STALKER when it was on sale through Steam for only two bucks! It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never thought I say this, but my game of the moment is a FREE BROWSER game! I can't help but to think this is a fitting commentary on the state of PC gaming....

Anyhoo...the game is called Neptune's Pride and it is a 4X sci-fi game set in real time...and I do mean 'real time' as it takes hours for fleets to arrive at their destination and a large game can take months to resolve. If you like Diplomacy, you will probably get a kick out of this gem that seems to be getting a surprising amount of press for a browser game. And it's still only in beta!

I am expecting some big news tomorrow:

My empire has bumped into a neighbor's and now it has come to war. My fleet will arrive in the enemy's gravity well in 10 hours 50 minutes, roughly 11am tomorrow morning. I expect a victory as I have a 2-1 advantage in ships, but I am a struggling newb in this game with a lot to learn yet, so there are no guarantees! :)

I consider it a remarkable achievement that this game has gotten me to glance at the clock more than once during the course of the day and to log on to check my fleets progress and to see if it has detected any incoming fleets. I feel like Nimitz on the eve of the Battle of Midway! :D

I think Neptune's Pride is definitely onto something. I would love to see some other wargames take this real time approach too!

Tick...tock...tick...tock

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SupCom 2 may or may not be an average RTS, depending on your tastes, but it has almost nothing to do with the original game. It's a shame they didn't call it something else instead of gutting another solid PC title and turning it into a crappy console port. YMMV.
Well, crud. They removed every reason why I was even thinking about it then. I haven't bothered with the RTS genre since Red Alert (the original) came out.

I think Neptune's Pride is definitely onto something. I would love to see some other wargames take this real time approach too!
I started a game today.

I've seen this general timed-turn idea before. There was a fairly neat version of it for a browser game that was basically a variation of the classic Empire. There were a few advanced features that required subscribing to unlock. It started out reasonable, but then they kept hiding more of the stuff behind the subscription wall and I bailed on it. Pity, I was something like 3-1. I can't find it any more, so I assume the project collapsed with not enough funding.

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unreal Tournament '99 GOTY (8 years)
World Of Warcraft (5 years) [Not EVERY day]
Counter-Strike (7 years)
Guild Wars (5 years)

These arent all the games I play, just the ones I play everyday, and literally have been playing the everyday for the years that are up there.
I personally think Unreal Tournament '99 GOTY is the best game of all time.
So many good memories with that game, I started when I was 10 so theres alot!