The number of possibilities in ASL

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Somewhat related: In the knitting community, there's the term "stash acquired beyond life expectancy (S.A.B.L.E.)". I guess most ASL players also have more ASL scenarios than they can play through in the rest of their (long, happy) lives.
Why would anyone assume that satisfaction can only be gleaned from playing them all? If collecting (or hoarding, in many cases) wasn't one of the reasons to purchase ASL stuff, there would be much less of it out there.

Christmas morning can be whittled down to 10 minutes of unwrapping boxes, but the anticipation of buying it and waiting to see the reaction of the recipients can last for months.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Calling the possibilities of ASL infinite was an exaggeration after all. As Wu Wei said the number of hexes and units are FINITE and therefore the number of possibilities are finite too. No matter how large. If you have 10 to the power of 5 billion then you still have a finite number. Infinity is greater than any given number!

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a scientist, I wear a materialist hat for my day job, and since it's during the day (where I am) I would like to point out that infinity is a mystical concept that has no bearing on material reality. There is no physical way of confirming that numbers larger than the number of particles in the universe actually exist (or any way to ascribe them meaning), and so I am comfortable saying that there are infinite ways to play any ASL scenario. Certainly it is no less absurd from a materialist view than talking about "infinity" as meaning something other than "a very large number indeed".

Catch me in the evening when I'm no longer a materialist, and I might have a different view.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As a scientist, I wear a materialist hat for my day job, and since it's during the day (where I am) I would like to point out that infinity is a mystical concept that has no bearing on material reality. There is no physical way of confirming that numbers larger than the number of particles in the universe actually exist (or any way to ascribe them meaning), and so I am comfortable saying that there are infinite ways to play any ASL scenario. Certainly it is no less absurd from a materialist view than talking about "infinity" as meaning something other than "a very large number indeed".

Catch me in the evening when I'm no longer a materialist, and I might have a different view.
Materialist Scientist by day, Immaterialist Gamer by night. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... Meh Man! :LOL:o_O

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia

But scientists and mathematicians don't always agree. Infinity in the mathematic sense is a possibility. It is an ENDLESS number. All other numbers come to an end.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But scientists and mathematicians don't always agree. Infinity in the mathematic sense is a possibility. It is an ENDLESS number. All other numbers come to an end.
Indeed! Mathematicians are mostly disgusting Platonists who might as well believe in witchcraft, and it is unfortunate that the tools they produce are so useful for Good Materialist Science.

[Again, come back this evening for a different opinion].

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Indeed! Mathematicians are mostly disgusting Platonists who might as well believe in witchcraft, and it is unfortunate that the tools they produce are so useful for Good Materialist Science.

[Again, come back this evening for a different opinion].
As a computer scientist, I think you're all crazy because you don't start counting at 0. 🤓🤓 -- jim

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll count by twos, it'll be faster ...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So if the possible moves for a chess game are 10 to the power of 135. Then what are the likely possible moves for a game of RB? 10 to the power of what? Or what about all the possible moves for the whole ASL system? 10 to the power of 5 billion?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So if the possible moves for a chess game are 10 to the power of 135. Then what are the likely possible moves for a game of RB? 10 to the power of what? Or what about all the possible moves for the whole ASL system? 10 to the power of 5 billion?
You can tytrate(?) and go 10^100^100 short hand for a big number.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Say two people sat down and started playing ASL on the first day that the earth was created. Say that they have been playing the same scenario continuously, non-stop, and that each game took four hours.

Could they have gone through every possible unique play of even the simplest possible scenario? One squad vs one squad, starting one hex apart, for one complete turn. All terrain is open ground. The victory hex is the hex initially occupied by the defending squad (although this may not matter for this experiment). No AI is involved - consider only every possible valid variation of play.