The NFL lockout

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Other than the obvious, money, anyone have a clue to what they are fighting about?
I read a tad about this because a friend of mine was in stitches over this. me... meh, it is just a frikkin game and the fight is among guys who get paid way more than me so I don't really give a damn...

However, there are issues over retirement health plans and the notion of an extended season.

Last edited:

Brittany_Spear

Recruit
Reaction score
However, there are issues over retirement health plans and the notion of an extended season.
The extended season has always been the bone of contention; the players are being asked to play two extra games, at risk of injury - I believe with one less pre-season game (where injuries are less likely, for a variety of reasons.)

This may not seem like a big deal, however, if you start to average out the average length of a pro ball player's career, and the average earnings of the pros, as well as likelihood of a career ending injury, the extra games are a significant factor.

Minimum salaries in the NFL are about $300,000 dollars a year. A lot of money? Yep. But given that most players are retired by 35 years of age, they also have to be expected to invest it wisely - and the average NFL career is just 3.5 years.

If you or I earn $60,000 dollars a year, and work from the time we leave college at say 25 to an early retirement at 60, that's 2.1 million dollars, or about as much money as the average NFL player makes in his short career of 3.5 years at the average salary of $800,000 (2.8 million dollars).

Now think if he breaks his leg in an extended season his first year. He has only a few years to chase the chance of doing something he loves. After which, odds are, he goes back to the real world - sell real estate or cars, or construction, or something down to earth just like everyone else. Only a lucky few earn multi-million dollar salaries at the top end, and go on to movie stardom and endorsement deals like Joe Namath or O.J. Simpson.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are issues to be worked out. However, if they hose up the season, I'm done. I won't spend a dime on them again. Goes for baseball as well. There's enough money going around and they have plenty of time. It's bad enough our society cares so much for these people, that the highest paid employees at many big colleges are sports coaches rather than professors.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are issues to be worked out. However, if they hose up the season, I'm done. I won't spend a dime on them again. Goes for baseball as well. There's enough money going around and they have plenty of time. It's bad enough our society cares so much for these people, that the highest paid employees at many big colleges are sports coaches rather than professors.
Sorry, but what does College Football have to do with a NFL lockout. Maybe I am missing something, but the rant on college coaches threw me a bit. As far as the rant, how many professors are responsible 24x7 for a 100+ students and a multi-million dollar budget plus public relations plus a large coaching staff plus actually coaching plus HR (recruitment), etc., etc. Find me that professor and maybe then they can compare salaries. Oh, I forgot - how many coaches have tenure?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, but what does College Football have to do with a NFL lockout. Maybe I am missing something, but the rant on college coaches threw me a bit. As far as the rant, how many professors are responsible 24x7 for a 100+ students and a multi-million dollar budget plus public relations plus a large coaching staff plus actually coaching plus HR (recruitment), etc., etc. Find me that professor and maybe then they can compare salaries. Oh, I forgot - how many coaches have tenure?
Not so fast. Football enjoys tremendous benefits courtesy of the US taxpayer. How many other sports have a recruitment and draft system which essentially trains young players via the public education system until they're "ready" to enter college and the pros? Basketball and baseball feed at the same trough.

Don't tell me these sports "make millions" for their respective schools, because that's grossly selective considering the avalanche of cash poured into these sports by the government. Facilities and support for other athletes in the public schools is virtually nonexistent, while football, basketball and baseball players get a free ride courtesy of Uncle Sam. Boxers and other athletes get zilch and these sports have to make their money without the government building free training facilities or stadiums for them. Here in Texas all the high schools have football stadiums better than most small colleges! Nobody cares if these guys can spell 'cat' as long as they can run with a football.

Yes, college football programs make tons of money. But for who? And almost none of that would be possible if the US taxpayer didn't foot the bill to train the hordes of potential draftees. And it's fair to point out the system has had a terrible effect on other sports in the US. Why would any young student choose to be a boxer or any other type of athlete when football, baseball, and basketball are built right into the system and offer tremendous scholarship possibilities? The short answer is they wouldn't, and they don't. The end result is that Americans have all but disappeared from the top ranks of boxing and many other sports because everyone is after the free ride that the big three sports offer in college. And that's a real shame for a country that once dominated in those sports.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that college football and basketball are bad. But it is certainly fair to point out that these sports are very close to being a racket, and one funded by the US taxpayer where a select few reap almost 100 percent of the benefits.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not so fast. Football enjoys tremendous benefits courtesy of the US taxpayer. How many other sports have a recruitment and draft system which essentially trains young players via the public education system until they're "ready" to enter college and the pros? Basketball and baseball feed at the same trough.

Don't tell me these sports "make millions" for their respective schools, because that's grossly selective considering the avalanche of cash poured into these sports by the government. Facilities and support for other athletes in the public schools is virtually nonexistent, while football, basketball and baseball players get a free ride courtesy of Uncle Sam. Boxers and other athletes get zilch and these sports have to make their money without the government building free training facilities or stadiums for them. Here in Texas all the high schools have football stadiums better than most small colleges! Nobody cares if these guys can spell 'cat' as long as they can run with a football.
Sorry, but I take exception to this. You completely ignore Title 9 and you completely ignore that in big time programs, it is usually football and basketball that fund the rest of the sports. What's the difference between getting an athletic scholarship or an academic one? Nothing.

I don't see how taxpayers are funding these programs outside of what taxpayers do with other "public" venues for sports or concerts. Create the venue and it pays for itself.

Yes, college football programs make tons of money. But for who? And almost none of that would be possible if the US taxpayer didn't foot the bill to train the hordes of potential draftees. And it's fair to point out the system has had a terrible effect on other sports in the US. Why would any young student choose to be a boxer or any other type of athlete when football, baseball, and basketball are built right into the system and offer tremendous scholarship possibilities? The short answer is they wouldn't, and they don't. The end result is that Americans have all but disappeared from the top ranks of boxing and many other sports because everyone is after the free ride that the big three sports offer in college. And that's a real shame for a country that once dominated in those sports.
Not sure how or why boxing is now the subject, but if you want to talk about destroying boxing, I suggest you start at the doorstep of Don King. I don't think you had too many "boxers" coming out of college. Our best boxers in history have came out of the depth's of the inner city and not too many of them could spell "cat" either.

As for taxpayers footing the bill, suggest you ask private universities with big time sports programs how that's going.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that college football and basketball are bad. But it is certainly fair to point out that these sports are very close to being a racket, and one funded by the US taxpayer where a select few reap almost 100 percent of the benefits.
Again, tell me what the difference is between a athletic scholorship and an academic one. If you have a problem with athletic scholarships being a drain on the taxpayers, then for consistency, I would think you have the same problem with academic ones as well.

Last edited:

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I guess I did sort of derail things. The connection was the overblown importance our society puts on big time sports. I guess I got into autorant mode. Back on topic.

If they don't come to an agereement by the time the season starts, they can blow me.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I did sort of derail things. The connection was the overblown importance our society puts on big time sports. I guess I got into autorant mode. Back on topic.

If they don't come to an agereement by the time the season starts, they can blow me.
ah, got it. Maybe a different perspective, but I would say it is not so much society has an overblown importance, but maybe the sports themselves do. Hockey was on the rise until they went on strike and it has never recovered. It took baseball year's to eventually recover as well. I don't remember the last NFL strike all that well to even comment on it, but do vividly recall the baseball and hockey strikes that cost them a lot of fans.

Wonder if the players / owners' wouldn't have been better off finding some middle ground sooner rather than just assume their fans would come back to them automatically. Just a thought.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who cares? A bunch of cry baby millionaires (players) against a bunch of cry baby billionaires. Its not like any one involved is doing anything productive for society like curing cancer or inventing a better light bulb, they can all lick my ambrosia scented sack.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't see how taxpayers are funding these programs outside of what taxpayers do with other "public" venues for sports or concerts. Create the venue and it pays for itself.
You're kidding, right? You're telling me the training a football player receives in virtually every grade and every year of the public education system has no value and didn't cost the taxpayers anything? And I suppose that giant football stadium down at my kid's high school was built for free, too?

In contrast, I pay to have my kid take jujitsu and that costs me about $200 per month. There are no facilities and no support for anything outside football, baseball, and basketball at most schools and that isn't likely to change.

http://www.zimbio.com/NCAA+Football/articles/17/Idiocy+Funding+College+Football

Again, I'm not ranting against the big three and I like football just as much as the next guy. But to pretend the taxpayers aren't funding the system that creates the players the college football programs use is ridiculous. For state universities college football is just a huge racket. The players are trained for free in junior high and high school, the public pays for the university and the huge statiums, the colleges don't have to pay the players a dime, and the people who run the system and coach get salaries in the $millions. The capitalist in me approves.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're kidding, right? You're telling me the training a football player receives in virtually every grade and every year of the public education system has no value and didn't cost the taxpayers anything? And I suppose that giant football stadium down at my kid's high school was built for free, too?

In contrast, I pay to have my kid take jujitsu and that costs me about $200 per month. There are no facilities and no support for anything outside football, baseball, and basketball at most schools and that isn't likely to change.

Again, I'm not ranting against the big three and I like football just as much as the next guy. But to pretend the taxpayers aren't funding the system that creates the players the college football programs use is ridiculous. For state universities college football is just a huge racket. The players are trained for free in junior high and high school, the public pays for the university and the huge statiums, the colleges don't have to pay the players a dime, and the people who run the system and coach get salaries in the $millions. The capitalist in me approves.
I think it also says something sbout us when the highest paid emoplyee in entire University is the football or basketball coach. Absolutely true here at the University of Arizona. Lute Olsen was the highest plaid employee in the entire institution.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

That's all fine. But where is the outrage against the academic scholarships then. Public schools have used funds to train them for years - they get a free ride in college then go on to benefit some corporation or research lab, whatever. If you are outraged over using taxpayer money for athletics, then you should be equally outraged over academics too. All cut from the same cloth in my opinion.

BTW - I pay an extra $15K a year because our public schools suck and I want my kids to also have a religious background in their education. Do I get to complain because they don't take kids to Mass on Friday's in public school. Nope. It is something they don't offer and if I want them to have it, then I pay separately.

As for the stadium, then I assume you are against all venues supported and built with taxpayer dollars? Concert halls, stadium's, etc.? If you are going to be consistent in your argument, then be against it all rather than a selective section of college athletics.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it also says something sbout us when the highest paid emoplyee in entire University is the football or basketball coach. Absolutely true here at the University of Arizona. Lute Olsen was the highest plaid employee in the entire institution.
Not really. Go find another person in the University which as much overall responsibility as Olsen or Stoops have, then get back to me. Generally, people are paid on their level of responsbility and not against some lowest common denominator formula.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That's all fine. But where is the outrage against the academic scholarships then. Public schools have used funds to train them for years - they get a free ride in college then go on to benefit some corporation or research lab, whatever. If you are outraged over using taxpayer money for athletics, then you should be equally outraged over academics too. All cut from the same cloth in my opinion.
I never said I was calling for any big change in college sports. And, as you pointed out, some good does come from sports scholarships. However, even in that area there is room for debate about just how efficient such a scholarship system is when the sheer quantity of cash being pumped in by taxpayers is taken into account. It's also fair to point out that, despite the propaganda which gets repeated ad nauseum, college sports programs don't really make a profit for anyone, except for an exceedingly select group of high level individuals with the right connections.

Right or wrong, the American people seem content with the arrangement, whatever its ills. I just wish that other sports being driven into virtual extinction wasn't a byproduct of this system.

As for the NFL strike, it's hard to have sympathy for either side. But to the extent that I am willing to take sides, I tend to sympathize with the owners. They own the business. They own the franchise. They invested millions of their own dollars. If the players don't feel they are being properly compensated they have the legal means to strike. However, at the end of the day the owners are still the bosses, and to my mind that must mean something. Normally I would have little sympathy for the players. But in this particular case I'm somewhat flexible because the NFL is more or less a monopoly and the players can't simply seek employment elsewhere. That does change the equation.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the NFL strike, it's hard to have sympathy for either side. But to the extent that I am willing to take sides, I tend to sympathize with the owners. They own the business. They own the franchise. They invested millions of their own dollars. If the players don't feel they are being properly compensated they have the legal means to strike. However, at the end of the day the owners are still the bosses, and to my mind that must mean something. Normally I would have little sympathy for the players. But in this particular case I'm somewhat flexible because the NFL is more or less a monopoly and the players can't simply seek employment elsewhere. That does change the equation.
Back on topic, I would generally agree, but find myself leaning to the other side of fence to the players. Have a handful of friends who have played Division I-A football and a couple that played in the pros for a short period of time. One used to be an agent and he gives me some of the skinny on what goes on in the NFL. The players shelf life in the Pros is pretty short and asking them to play two extra games on top of the schedule they have seems to me as a pretty big ask. Not familiar with all of the politics back and forth, but that was the one item that got me leaning to the player's side.