the "new rulebook"

Boresite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
is it worth it? having been a long time player, and having no problem with the one i have, what would i be missing if i didnt get the new book. are there major changes or clarifications? is it just the same old book with only a full update of all errata, and etc...

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, I say get the new 2nd edition if you don't already have it. Some rules have been reworded and the wall rules are slightly different. Plus if you buy the new ASL rule book you will be getting all the new data cards without errors on them.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jack Dionne said:
..will be getting all the new data cards without errors on them.
Not quite, seems there is still an error. But the second edition is definitely worth getting.

Keith

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have my V2 ASLRB with me, but there are more than one error on the "chapter dividers." Download the http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/aslqa.php#ASL2ed sticky errata. Compare those to your cards. At least two come to mind as requiring the sticky corrections.

When all is said and done, the V2 is worth it. The sticky errata or the vB pages still need to get into place as well as the sticky errata compiled by Ole. Those are relatively easy fixes with either labels or paper and a glue stick. More fun than clipping counters, I suspect.

Boresite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
all the counters still funtional with new rules, or do i need new game pieces too?

asler

Reaction score
Boresite said:
all the counters still funtional with new rules, or do i need new game pieces too?
For practical purposes, there are no new rules. The wall advantage mechanics have been clarified as well as the platoon movement rules. The rest has been inserting known errata, rules clarifications, updating format etc.

You do not need any new game pieces, nor were there any issued for/with the ASLRB2.

Chris

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would get the new book. You could spend many hours updating your old one with all the errata as listed on the MMP site and still discover that you don't have as complete a rulebook as the second edition.

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm fairly certain that BV2 (with RB) did include HW counters. Though I cannot confirm this until this evening.

Chris

asler

Reaction score
da priest said:
Hmmm..drawing a blank here..where did the new HW counters get published? DB and/or????:confused:
I'm 99.9% certain that the HW counters came with DB. This was the same time that MMP released the revised HW rules. I was at ASLOK when they did that and remember them also passing out an a free pamphlet called "MMP News" that had an article in it titled "Doing The Wave". Just found it again. It's dated October of 1998 and gives an illustrated example and explaination of the revised rules. I believe DB came with revised ASLRB1 pages for that rule. The ASLRB2 came out long after the HW rules were revised and counters released. To tell you the truth, I've never used the HW counters when doing HW's. It's simply not worth laying out the counters for each impulse. Maybe if I had a monster HW I would so I wouldn't have to remember who moved "away" from the HW hexgrain, but I have yet to run into a situation where I couldn't remember.

Chris

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
asler said:
I'm 99.9% certain that the HW counters came with DB.
You're 100% correct...

To tell you the truth, I've never used the HW counters when doing HW's. It's simply not worth laying out the counters for each impulse. Maybe if I had a monster HW I would so I wouldn't have to remember who moved "away" from the HW hexgrain, but I have yet to run into a situation where I couldn't remember.
To tell you the truth, I fully agree, even though I lead the writing of the new HW rules. :nuts:

The HW counters are just not necessary for 98% of the HWs that are performed, since those 98% are relatively small Banzai charges, where you easily remember the HW hex grain and the units that have increased their HW range.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I spoke to Perry at the WO 2005 about the 2nd ed. rules that I did not own at that time. He assured me that while I ought to have the 2nd ed. rules, I **could** play without them. The changes to the 2nd ed. rules represent clarity for the most part, with some other changes for WA etc. already mentioned. The problem that can arise occurs when one player has 1st ed. and the other has 2nd ed. rules. The player with the 1st ed. may not have an awareness of nuance made clear in the 2nd ed.

Boresite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
thanks for all the replies , will have to pick it up when i have the spare cash.