The Mila 18 NoNsEnSe thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think there's just a ton of mediocrity in the NFL this year and that's going to mean weird stuff happens. Hilarious that in an uncapped year, we may see more parity than we have in a long time under the salary cap.
Nobody really spent this off-season though did they? I mean is anyone way over the Cap this year? Seemed everyone showed restraint - very odd in professional sports these days. Maybe Minny's over with Favre & Moss now? What are they, 1-3? Impressive.

Could be a really wild year in the NFL - although we may want to call it Mediocrity rather than Parity...

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Nobody really spent this off-season though did they? I mean is anyone way over the Cap this year? Seemed everyone showed restraint - very odd in professional sports these days. Maybe Minny's over with Favre & Moss now? What are they, 1-3? Impressive.

Could be a really wild year in the NFL - although we may want to call it Mediocrity rather than Parity...
I really don't know about the numbers spent...I avoided NFL offseason talk almost entirely (easier in Toronto than it was in Chicago). Mediocrity is the word, no doubt. Somebody will figure it out midseason, tear up the second half and win it all, I think.

S

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
45-31 Michelle (7-7)
44-32 Psycho (7-7) & John (7-7)
43-33 Sydney (8-6)
42-34 Chad (7-7)
I don't feel so bad after looking at the ESPN experts:

48-28 Mortensen (7-7)
45-31 Schlereth (7-7)
43-33 Accuscore (6-8)
42-28 Jaworski (6-7)
42-34 Golic (7-7), Schefter (7-7) & Pick 'em (7-7)
40-36 Hoge (4-10)
38-38 Wickersham (5-9)
36-40 Allen (4-10)

Accuscore is a computer simulation of games (at least 10,000 of each game). Pick 'em is based on overall # of fan picks. So Michelle would be tied for 2nd, John & I would be in 3rd place, Syd tied for 4th and Chad tied for 6th. Hoge is normally one of the best pickers out there. :( Mortensen started out 8-8 and then went nuts the next couple of weeks.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He is just having a great year so far. I'll still take the guys who played and look at game tape over a journalist anyday. :thumup:
Wouldn't shock me if Mort watches a fair amount of game tape to be honest. Frankly it doesn't make any sense that a guy that played has an advantage. The odds that the same guy is a great enough athlete physically to play in the league is also bright enough to be great at analyzing things is a rare combo. There certainly are examples of athletes being good at both (Chris Collinsworth for one), but I think it's silly to assume that playing in the league means they're better at analyzing things.

Kinda' like saying Belichek can't coach since he never played in the league...

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Wouldn't shock me if Mort watches a fair amount of game tape to be honest. Frankly it doesn't make any sense that a guy that played has an advantage. The odds that the same guy is a great enough athlete physically to play in the league is also bright enough to be great at analyzing things is a rare combo. There certainly are examples of athletes being good at both (Chris Collinsworth for one), but I think it's silly to assume that playing in the league means they're better at analyzing things.

Bah! Mort once finished behind my kids when they were two years old! I'll never again take his picks seriously! He's a doofus! :angry:

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bah! Mort once finished behind my kids when they were two years old! I'll never again take his picks seriously! He's a doofus! :angry:
I always finish behind yer wife.

If ya know what I mean.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Puh-lease...the shine's off that knob since Weis, Crennel, McDaniels and a whole litany of defensive talent sloughed off to greener pastures. The Hoodie is supposed to be some sort of defensive savant, yet he couldn't muster up the chops to hold the lead in the last 2 minutes of the '07 SB (will someone please shut up Mercury Morris??) nor cobble together anything resembling a reflection of a professional defense since.

Sure, his Machiavellian machinations are in full bloom (see: Moss, Randy), but wins are what the NFL is all about and they're going to start to become right scarce. Belicheck is a ****ing chump who lucked into a great owner and a special collection of players at the right time.

Where's the alleged 'Belichek Magic' now?????

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Puh-lease...the shine's off that knob since Weis, Crennel, McDaniels and a whole litany of defensive talent sloughed off to greener pastures. The Hoodie is supposed to be some sort of defensive savant, yet he couldn't muster up the chops to hold the lead in the last 2 minutes of the '07 SB (will someone please shut up Mercury Morris??) nor cobble together anything resembling a reflection of a professional defense since.

Sure, his Machiavellian machinations are in full bloom (see: Moss, Randy), but wins are what the NFL is all about and they're going to start to become right scarce. Belicheck is a ****ing chump who lucked into a great owner and a special collection of players at the right time.

Where's the alleged 'Belichek Magic' now?????
It left with Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour and Ty Law.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HERETICs...

Non-Believers.....
Well, I live in the midst of the foetid squalor of Patriot Nation and get a daily whiff of the bowel movements emanating from Foxboro and their sycophants in the local media. Randy Moss is being set up as the reason for the Patsies feeble second half offense and even more palsied defense despite the presence of the NFL's best possession receiver (Welker), arguably best 3rd down back (Faulk), one of the NFL's best crunch-time QB's (Brady) and, allegedly, one of the best defensive coaches (The Hoodie). You see, by their logic and spin, Randy Moss made their offense falter because his mere presence on the field blinded Brady into only heaving the deep routes. Bad, Bad, Randy...

Dave Olie

High King of New Scotland
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
WTF??

[video=youtube;R2BaGeCyYd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2BaGeCyYd0[/video]
This is VAN HALEN. They were a HEAVY METAL ROCK AND ROLL band that had a career in the 1970s and 1980s. They were not very talented except the lead guitarist. The lead vocalist could be amusing at times. Yes, they really did dress like this for concerts, and they did have that hair. Quaint, is it not?

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
My "WTF" was neither a comment on the questionableness of VH's wardrobe nor of their bona fides, but of the absence of activity on this last refuge of interest on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.