Status
Not open for further replies.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...and what a shame that is.....
Why is it a shame that we expect parents to raise their children rather than the government or social engineering busy bodies?

The problem with that commercial is that it only presents about 10% of the message needed...and about 100% of a message that is the actual problem.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Why is it a shame that we expect parents to raise their children rather than the government or social engineering busy bodies?
So many parents devolve that responsibilty to absolutely no-one at all, leaving kids in ignorance of the basics that it's always good to have outside agencies who can aid in the education process. What form that should take is another matter entirely.......

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So many parents devolve that responsibility to absolutely no-one at all, leaving kids in ignorance of the basics that it's always good to have outside agencies who can aid in the education process.
So the government gets to take over everyone's kids based on the worst case? And who gets to decide what qualifies as the worst case? What if the government decides that a Christian parent teaching their kids Christian principals about such things is not good enough?

What form that should take is another matter entirely.......
The government (of the USA anyway) has no constitutional right to usurp the responsibilities of a parent without first using due process. As it is now they do simply as a matter of course.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
THAT is one commercial that will NEVER be seen on US television.
Chances are its an ad you'd only see in a cinema. If the feature were an 18 (or whatever the frogs use for the adult themed films) then this would be passable.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Chances are its an ad you'd only see in a cinema. If the feature were an 18 (or whatever the frogs use for the adult themed films) then this would be passable.
Having watched the odd French film I'd say they don't do anything passable for an adult!!!

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
I think he's suggesting they like 'em young in old Paree.
No. I am suggesting that there are some French films that are worth the time to watch and enjoy. If you weren't an unwashed lager swilling oink you might understand that :p

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No. I am suggesting that there are some French films that are worth the time to watch and enjoy. If you weren't an unwashed lager swilling oink you might understand that :p
I don't understand that because I'm an unwashed lager swilling oik (you meant oik -right)

'Amelie' was good. 'Delicatessen' I can recommend. 'Jean De Florette' and 'Manon Des Sources' are tremendous.

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
I don't understand that because I'm an unwashed lager swilling oik (you meant oik -right)

'Amelie' was good. 'Delicatessen' I can recommend. 'Jean De Florette' and 'Manon Des Sources' are tremendous.
Good on ya Trev :thumup:

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
So the government gets to take over everyone's kids based on the worst case?
Take over everyone's kids? How does teaching them the man's bit goes in the girls bit and if they don't wear a raincoat then babies happen qualify for taking kids over? Sensationalism? Just a wee bit......
And who gets to decide what qualifies as the worst case?
The government. It's kind of in their job description.
What if the government decides that a Christian parent teaching their kids Christian principals about such things is not good enough?
I'm sure that you could always opt out of such heinous indoctrination. But be careful, schools might start trying to teach your kids all about evolution and the likes and who knows where that would lead :)

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take over everyone's kids? How does teaching them the man's bit goes in the girls bit and if they don't wear a raincoat then babies happen qualify for taking kids over? Sensationalism? Just a wee bit......
Do you really believe that is all that there is to know about sex...seriously, because if that is the extent of what you learned from the "government" then you have just made my point in a huge way.

The government. It's kind of in their job description.
Not in the USA it isn't.

I'm sure that you could always opt out of such heinous indoctrination.
My wife and I have already educated or children about what sex is but more importantly we have educated them about what sex means...which is the most important part...and of course, the part the government manages to leave out.

But be careful, schools might start trying to teach your kids all about evolution and the likes and who knows where that would lead :)
Evolution...the only religion that the government sanctions to be taught in public schools.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Do you really believe that is all that there is to know about sex...seriously, because if that is the extent of what you learned from the "government" then you have just made my point in a huge way.
Thanks for the snide insinuation, I kind of expect it now :) No I don't really believe that theres all there is to know but a lot of teenagers (or younger kids) out there who are engaging in sexual relations don't even know that contraception exists or that by having sex you can make a baby. I was talking to a midwife friend (who has just had a paper published on underage mothers , which precipitated the conversation as she was very proud of it) about this very subject and the level of ignorance these girls show is mindboggling. I think sometimes we forget that we're relatively well educated and there's a lot of people who just plain aren't. They're the ones this stuff would help, not the likes of you who are in touch with their kids and doing their best to help them make sense of things - a goodly percentage of kids have no-one BUT the state to educate them.

And doesn't the US government set public policy? Seems fairly strange to me.........

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity :)

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Watch it goat boy, I don't drink Larger OK?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as for the rest well.............

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Watch it goat boy, I don't drink Larger OK?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as for the rest well.............
At least you're not a scouser, or even worse Welsh......

I apologise half heartedly for my serious parental comments above, I should know better in Mila 18. :)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
At least you're not a scouser, or even worse Welsh......

I apologise half heartedly for my serious parental comments above, I should know better in Mila 18. :)
Easy for you to say from New Zealand. Now come here and say it!

Status
Not open for further replies.