The Mila 18 NoNsEnSe thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
R.I.P. Junior Seau...looks to be at first blush another victim of post-concussive effects...
Yes - very sad. We have a lot to learn on the effects of multiple hits over multiple years. The interesting thing is he never "officially" had a concussion while playing; although we all know they didn't really diagnose concussions as well back then.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe another athlete who just could not handle "real life"? Very sad to read this.
The interesting thing-if one could possibly call it that-is that Seau shot himself in the chest, like Dave Duerson, who did so in order that his brain would be undamaged and donated it for study <concussion effects> after his death. No word if that *is* the reason Seau did same, but it is a parallel betwixt the two.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Junior Seau was a very good team and friend to many NFL players.

But the "Why did he do this?" may never be answered effectively.

RIP Junior

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

But the "Why did he do this?" may never be answered effectively.

RIP Junior
From "The Collision Syndrome" by Jeffrey Bartholet, Scientific American February 2012.

"Kevin Turner was a premier athlete in the National Football League. ... Now Turner can't button his shirt. ... His fingers were curled up and his thumbs almost useless, so he drank from a glass by holding it in his palms. ... In 2010 Turner was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral schlerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

"Now a group of scientists in Boston believes that Turner, despite suffering symptoms of ALS, may not really have the disease. Around the same time he was diagnosed, these researchers discovered what say could be a separate disorder with exactly the same clinical syndrome as ALS. It is also incurable. The only real difference is that this disease seems to have a clear cause: repeated blows to the head, like those that often occur on the football field.

"The finding is hugely controversial."

Just to be clear, I have no reason that this was the cause of Junior Seau's problems. His untimely death just brought home what damage might result from playing football at such a high level.

JR

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
No one deserves this, but Seau was a dick. At Disney once, he knocked over my then 3 year old daughter and kept walking through the crowd while she laid there crying. I chased him down and said "dude, WTF?" He got all full of attitude. I feel for his family. -- jim

Status
Not open for further replies.