Status
Not open for further replies.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Re: Hope for gamers...

Boston, Massachusetts...arguably the wellspring from which this nation bubbled; a city, which within its limits, stands perhaps the single most iconic institution of higher learning in the nation, a font of liberal intellectualism.

This, is its mayor, a man who's held the office of mayor longer than any other in the storied history of this olde town...

[video=youtube;dqzY1IjcGhc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqzY1IjcGhc[/video]

[video=youtube;pMADJcimnds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMADJcimnds[/video]

Good 'ol "Mumbles," he is such an idiot. A real Hacks, Hack

This is almost as good as John F. Kerry's "Manny Ortiz" comment during election '04

Last edited:

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The Man just came by to pick up the ankle bracelet. He took it, thanked me, and left.

:smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke:

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The Man just came by to pick up the ankle bracelet. He took it, thanked me, and left.

That'll teach ya' to avoid farm animals.:p

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To: the Cavs; From: The Celts

Hello, Cleveland!

* This message in no way is a prediction on this bizarro series, but a comment on the last game....whew!

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Some food for thought from another game company regarding Black SS counters and the (surprisingly mundane) history behind it...
Interesting quote from the article (italics mine):

"Because the SS are often under special rules (usually involving some form of battlefield cowardice) and have different morale levels than the regular Army (general lower), they do need to have a distinguishing look."

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: To: the Cavs; From: The Celts

Another, oddly impartial from the national media, non-fawning view of last nights game
It would be tough to fawn over LBJ's performance last night. Although perhaps the most logical explanation is his elbow is really hurt? After the way he mailed in the last two games, if they do lose, I think he's going to have to have surgery on the elbow just to save face and avoid tarnishing the legacy.

Frankly the bags packed theory makes no sense - if you're bailing on your hometown team, is this the legacy you want to leave behind? If anything, you'd bust your butt to give the hometown fans a parting gift. If he rings this year, there would be a lot less bitterness about his departure. Put up 3 putrid outings & exert little effort to choke away a series you have no business losing, isn't the way to have the hometown folks remember you fondly if you're not coming back.

He's got a chance to save his legacy in games 6 & 7, he better leave it all out on the court in those games, or else he risks a Vince Carter-esque type legacy. I still think LBJ is back in a Cavs uni next year. And frankly this putrid display in part might solidify it. You really want your hometown's last memory of you to be THAT? 'Course they might recover, pull of the back-to-backers, deal with Orlando and he can wash away the stink...

As an aside is "Fox Sports" really national media? I view it more as a conglomerate of regional sports networks, but maybe I'm selling it short. It's not a web site I typically visit.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting quote from the article (italics mine):

"Because the SS are often under special rules (usually involving some form of battlefield cowardice) and have different morale levels than the regular Army (general lower), they do need to have a distinguishing look."
Guess it could be appropriate if you're discussing the notorious rear echelon SS forces. Not so much many of the elite formations we typically see in ASL though.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It would be tough to fawn over LBJ's performance last night. Although perhaps the most logical explanation is his elbow is really hurt? After the way he mailed in the last two games, if they do lose, I think he's going to have to have surgery on the elbow just to save face and avoid tarnishing the legacy.
Fawn, ESPN does, and does unabashedly. I went to bed last night at halftime; my superstition about big games and my cursing teams I want to win and me watching crucial games, prevailing. When I awoke and got the score off my phone, I went upstairs-without my caffeine-laced appendage-and flicked on the TV to ESPN to see the highlights of the game...

...I waited a half an hour for those hero-worshipping sycophants to spend maybe 30 seconds on the game, spending the majority of that half minute on whether Queen Latifah's (nee King James) elbow injury was much more serious than originally thought, was this the last home game as a Cavalier (because certainly, his attitude was...) and nothing on the Celtics performance.

Certainly, one cannot miss the adulation of LeFraud by the sports media and commentators, no matter how much of a homer one may be.

As an aside is "Fox Sports" really national media? I view it more as a conglomerate of regional sports networks, but maybe I'm selling it short. It's not a web site I typically visit.
How about this, then?

...or this?...

...or this?...

...or this?...

...or this?...

...or this?...

...or, damningly, this?...

As an aside, I heard about the Fox article from Bill Masseroti, a respected sportswriter in Boston on a local sports radio show

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guess it could be appropriate if you're discussing the notorious rear echelon SS forces. Not so much many of the elite formations we typically see in ASL though.
Funny, that, given how much the SS is openly despised by so many hereabouts, the lesser SS formations are fairly rare on ASL boards...just sayin'...

Last edited:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Certainly, one cannot miss the adulation of LeFraud by the sports media and commentators, no matter how much of a homer one may be.
LeBron certainly gets the attention - no doubt about that. And his no-show in game 5 was a much bigger story than a solid team effort by the Celtics. You have to admit that the best player in the NBA coming up empty in one of the biggest games of his career is a more compelling story than "4 Celts All Do Well". It's not like Rondo had an amazing performance like game 4 to steal the headlines. Frankly the story after game 5 should have been on the egg LBJ just laid.

How about this, then?
Not sure I follow your point - much better article than the original FSN one though which had some real reaches in places though. There's certainly lots of attention on LBJ and justifiable criticism of his playoff performance so far.

LeBron is certainly not w/o his flaws. I find the criticisms of him not shaking hands w/Orlando to be really annoying though - on one hand they criticize him for not being competitive enough as he's running around doing marketing things, but on the other they criticize him when he shows a streak of competitiveness & is pissed he lost. Make up your mind! Pick one angle and stick with it, but you can't criticize both actions.

His post game excuses for Boston certainly were not very self aware nor necessarily encouraging, but what these guys say post game seldom matters. What matters is what they do on the hardwood. If he shows up tonight, performs and wins game 6 & 7, he can restore his legacy. Post game excuses or explanations can't, and frankly don't matter at all except to the 24/7 machine that wants an explanation...

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

It's not like Rondo had an amazing performance like game 4 to steal the headlines. Frankly the story after game 5 should have been on the egg LBJ just laid....
Rondo doesn't have to have that sort of game to cause problems for the Cavs (or any team, for that matter); if you take away one aspect, or he's off he just moves on to the next facet of his game. The Cavs overreacted to the game 4 performance; there's a reason only two other playoff trip-doubs topped his game 4: it just doesn't happen very often.

LBJ's bewildering fog was a big story, but noone (or few outside New England, to be honest) asked whether it was caused in part by the Celtics' defense. Of course, having grown up listening to Dink Stockton verbally fellating the Lakers of the Magic era for nigh a decade, I have little patience for the fawning from the booth (or from the zebra shirts).

Not sure I follow your point - much better article than the original FSN one though which had some real reaches in places though. There's certainly lots of attention on LBJ and justifiable criticism of his playoff performance so far.
On the one hand, it's too much to expect one player to carry a team through an entire playoff run and be successful; on the other Lebron can be a transcendant force. Questioning his mental toughness for his wildly erratic play is certainly valid, as is questioning whether Boston has found some measure of success in at least partially slowing him down, defensively and mentally. Yet, the angle has been universally his elbow 'injury' for his bad games, yet no mention of it is made when when he scores 21 in the first quarter of a game.

The NBA has a long and sordid history of promoting players over teams and perpetuating the "supporting cast" around whomever is currently in vogue, yet basketball remains a team sport over an individual showcase. LeBron has almost seemed to dare his teammates to win without him, opening the questions over whether he's mentally mulling his free agency options already. Nationally, the coverage of LeBron, his elbow, his funk or his dominance has dwarfed the coverage of the series to the exclusion of much else in the series. Brian Scalabrine said it best: if Cleveland loses this or the next series, they aren't going to asterisk it because of his elbow.

Having said that, I expect a pretty big game from Lebron tonight; attacking the basket with abandon (along with mucho assitance from the friendly boys in black and white...)...what Boston needs is another Kevin McHale...

[video=youtube;X7r6vXeOfyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ&feature=PlayList&p=1675118B7D38783D&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=31[/video]

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Rondo doesn't have to have that sort of game to cause problems for the Cavs (or any team, for that matter); if you take away one aspect, or he's off he just moves on to the next facet of his game. The Cavs overreacted to the game 4 performance; there's a reason only two other playoff trip-doubs topped his game 4: it just doesn't happen very often.
My point was more there was no compelling Boston story, such as Rondo's game 4, to distract from the "LBJ Lays an Egg" story. Had there been a compelling Boston story, the focus would have been more on them, but they had all of their big 4 playing well, but no amazing line to steal the story line. Rondo has killed them all series - Mo cannot guard him & the Cavs apparently feel they need Mo's O on the floor (although I wonder) and Mo struggles trying to check Ray-Ray who can shoot over him or take him down low and post him up at will. But Rondo killed them in game 1, 2 & 4 - I think they needed to do something to adapt to Rondo's dominance, although perhaps they chose poorly in the solution as switching Mo onto Jesus Shuttlesworth didn't work either (and it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that coming). And frankly since game 1, Mo hasn't brought much to the table on O either unfortunately.

LBJ's bewildering fog was a big story, but noone (or few outside New England, to be honest) asked whether it was caused in part by the Celtics' defense.
In part it may be because LeBron has ALWAYS torn apart the Celtics - he averaged 36.5 against them this year in the regular season & has only failed to average 30+ vs. them 1 year in the last 5. Boston has done a good job on him & he hasn't adapted well, but frankly he hasn't looked right this series in his approach to the game on offense. Something's off in his approach and it's not just the Celts who haven't been able to guard him in the past either. Give them some credit, but something's not right too beyond the Celts doing well in guarding him.

On the one hand, it's too much to expect one player to carry a team through an entire playoff run and be successful; on the other Lebron can be a transcendant force. Questioning his mental toughness for his wildly erratic play is certainly valid, as is questioning whether Boston has found some measure of success in at least partially slowing him down, defensively and mentally. Yet, the angle has been universally his elbow 'injury' for his bad games, yet no mention of it is made when when he scores 21 in the first quarter of a game.
"Universally accepted" is a little strong - people are searching for an explanation and the elbow being far worse than we've heard is a possibility. Doesn't make it true & no one has come out and said "IT'S DEFINITELY the elbow" because we don't know. Don't forget that his one transcendent game this series was on 3 days rest and he was so good in the first which lends some credence to the elbow theory. When rested he's OK & he opened scoring, which he normally opens passing & scores late, because he knew he might not be able to score late due to the elbow. The elbow theory fits in a lot of ways. It's also the classic "Cleveland Moment" where it seems everything is aligned for them and something bizarre happens to derail the title train.

The NBA has a long and sordid history of promoting players over teams and perpetuating the "supporting cast" around whomever is currently in vogue, yet basketball remains a team sport over an individual showcase. LeBron has almost seemed to dare his teammates to win without him, opening the questions over whether he's mentally mulling his free agency options already. Nationally, the coverage of LeBron, his elbow, his funk or his dominance has dwarfed the coverage of the series to the exclusion of much else in the series. Brian Scalabrine said it best: if Cleveland loses this or the next series, they aren't going to asterisk it because of his elbow.
Frankly the whole "LeBron's mailing it in because his bags are packed and he's going to X" conspiracy theories make no sense. LeBron is a loyal guy and a class act on the court & he grew up in Akron. What kind of guy is going to pull a Vince Carter on his hometown in his theoretical swan song in the home unis? Just doesn't make any sense. If anything he should be more focused than ever on getting a ring if he was leaving as this would be his last chance to end his hometown's 46 years of title drought. That kind of opportunity is epic - they make movies about stuff like that. This disaster of a post season to date may make it more of a certainty that he returns if anything. While in the past the supporting cast could be blamed for losses, LBJ owns this one, if Boston does win. It's all on him. The supporting cast has played well enough to win - they're not perfect but if the best player in basketball were leading them, they'd have already ended this series. And frankly that's why the elbow theory makes a lot of sense. LBJ has always shown up for big games in the past, he may not have won them all, but they didn't lose because he sucked. Not true for this series so far.

Having said that, I expect a pretty big game from Lebron tonight; attacking the basket with abandon (along with mucho assitance from the friendly boys in black and white...)...what Boston needs is another Kevin McHale...
If David Stern was still alive, I'd be confident that much like Lakers-Kings game 6, this series was coming back to Cleveland. Alas, the NBA Godfather doesn't seem to have as much juice as he used to. Donaghy might have screwed that up for everyone. It's SO unfair that when Cleveland is finally due to have games fixed for us, Stern loses his mojo!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States

While I do not think Lebron is tanking it because he is outta there, he certainly is playing like it:smoke:

<SHRUG>

its not the his play so much that would bother me if I were a Cavs fan, its the lack of leadership from Lebraon....... well the team as a whole, including the coach.

Peace

Roger

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

[video=youtube;X7r6vXeOfyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ&feature=PlayList&p=1675118B7D38783D&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=31[/video]
Lebron said he would defend Rondo-and he did rather well. The Celts stepped up as a team to fill in the missing offense --The Cavs did not, which may have left LeBron a bit pouty.
Will we see him at Point Guard tonight? He played well when Mo was injured. That will unleash JJ Hickson in the front court.

Or will Shaq run out onto the court with a Snickers bar :" Lebron, man come on-- you're playing like Betty White!"

Status
Not open for further replies.