The LotRO Store & Turbine Points

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best line of that thread was, "they should change the name of the game to: "The Store of the Ring."

Changing a thread title is a sign of desperation unless it's a "vile" one.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Changing a thread title is a sign of desperation unless it's a "vile" one.
It gives you all the bad smell of censoring without doing much good in suppressing the information. Worst of all worlds. Sapience has an interesting job for sure.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The changing of a basic "non-disgusting" thread title indicates the problem or issue is more wide spread and important to players than even "we" know.

Changing one is an attempt to throw off or mislead the (more) casual forum-cruising players from noticing the problem- not an attempt to fix or address the problem.

The correct reply from the admins is to say: "we've officially addressed "this" concern HERE." and provide a link. The reason an issue gets brought up over & over is because the Admins have failed to properly answer the problem or have failed to provide & state how they will fix the issue (or wil not fix the issue).

Nevertheless this is a troubling shift in Turbines operations.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jumped on today just to look at the new screens, go thru all my alts checking mail, housing maintenance etc. but no actual playing and... :kotz:

Is there ANY part of the game anymore that Turbine is not shoving the store in our faces?:hmmm:

Loading screens, Character screens, Crafting screens, Outfit Screen, Legendary Items Screen. Options Screen.

View attachment 32961

I’m expecting at any moment we’ll run into Trolls wearing a “Visit the Turbine Store” Tee-shirts.
:nuts:

No matter how much Turbine said & tried to do it “subtly” it’s like having an obnoxious street hawker waiting to ambush you each time you appear in town and then following you around the entire time trying to sell you stuff you don’t want.

If it wasn't for the "A+" graphics. "A+" story, :thumup: and still holding on to "B" game play... :sneak:

Edit- I also looked over the new Legendary Items "Relic & Rune" system :crosseye: and :argh: quickly decided I'll try and figure it out LATER!
:(

Last edited:

Ganzor

Reaction score
March producer's letter falling over itself to plug the store. lol

And confirming that another often requested feature to be added to the game is getting a store only option.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh I read that as they are making a thing that is a store only.

Reading that producer letter I don't think that person is playing the game at all. Confidence in her writings ==> zero.

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Below is why it's now:

"The Store of the Rings Online" with a game available & not,

"The Lord of the Rings Online Game" with a store available...

"Win it before you can buy it: Steed of Minas Ithil "
The soldiers of Minas Ithil (which has long since been taken by the Enemy and renamed Minas Morgul) would have ridden these steeds long ago. There are some still who remember the Tower of the Moon, and they dress their loyal steeds in the livery of Minas Ithil as a sign to the forces of Mordor that some things cannot be stamped out forever.

It's not, "win it before you can earn it" but, "before you can buy it." :angry:

And are they not stretching credibility to get "special" stuff in the store now? We're not even close to Ithilien yet but items from that region are now "store only items." Yes I know they have items from Rhun & Harad in the store which is just as "far-reaching." I expect the Cloak of Sauron and the Throne of Morgoth to appear soon. Hey anything for a buck!

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?345565-quot-not-advantage-quot-is-the-new-quot-grows-with-you-quot&p=5400454#post5400454

I'm not happy with this BUY BUY BUY mentality either. And here is my take on the 'voting' stuff. Bear with me.

It's like this. There are hundreds- hopefully thousands - of us who bought the game as a pleasant, casual diversion. We intend to buy the updates. Many of us - lots of us - bought when it was not free to play. Some did lifetime memberships. Me, I bought VIP membership three years ago and maintained it. I play when I can and don't find it a hardship to fork 15 bucks a month. I like the game. I like "earning" stuff. I love the visuals.

I HATE having the damn store stuffed down my throat every time I turn around. I have never, ever spent a Turbine Point and promise with God as my witness to never spend one as long as I live.

And I don't want to have to come onto internet forums and vote and take part in idiotic conversations in order for the developers to do the "right thing." I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to babysit grown men and women. I just presume you all are adults capable of being decent stewards of what, three years ago when I bought it, was a really great looking product.

So stop screwing it up with stupid stores and dumb votes behind my back and all these idiotic polls about stuff I don't care about, and stop advertising these "turbine points" every time I click on something in the game. And don't sell me stuff when I should be earning it in the game.

Is it really that hard to figure out? Seriously?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The worst part is that more than half of the stuff advertised is stuff I already payed for and have, namely VIP stuff. They should at least turn off ads for things you already own.

Ganzor

Reaction score
I find it very amusing how the only Turbine response to the outcry so far consists of them deleting the thread where they said "convenience not advantage".

Ganzor

Reaction score
They aren't as absent as they appear to be. Somebody made a new thread with the title "pay to win", and it was merged with the (currently 31 page) super thread on the subject. They are paying attention, they just don't have the courage to post on the subject.

I am, however, surprised that the ""not advantage" is the new "grows with you"" thread has not been renamed to something more pro turbine.

Want to bet anybody who mentions the now deleted patience post gets an infraction for reposting material from a deleted thread?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The original LotRO crew must be shaking their heads in disbelief at how far the "WB team" has fallen with the game.
I am pretty sure it's just Kate Paiz that's clueless about how people play her game. Sure, they might have had a couple quarters making more cash but as everybody offering an addictive product can tell you that isn't enough. If your base of willing to pay users is highly mobile they can quickly move on. What I see when I occasionally log in is less people on the servers, and very clearly so. I make a habit out of going into Bree and estimating population (filter by one class, count) and have an eye on the layering. The layering isn't needed most of the time now in Bree, and it was always packed last year's spring-fall.

Maybe they are all in instances grinding medallions or whatever you get instead of gear for killing bosses these days, but I bet these players have no problem going to the next hot game.